The Gaze of the Abyss B. de Corbin's Avatar
    Feb 2007
    Religion
    Alchemist and Neo-American Redneck Buddhist
    Frozen Northern Michigan, near Thunder Bay
    Phrase
    Where are the tweezers?

Nirvana... what is it?

We hear the word "Nirvana" often. But what, exactly, does the word mean?

For some people, Nirvana is the same as everyday life, except that the individual has an altered internal self (Before enlightenment, chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment, chop wood, carry water). Other people seem to think that when Nirvana is reached, the person stops existing (Poof!). I hear some people talk about it as if it were some kind of never ending acid trip (wow, man!).

Here's an article that describes what Nirvana might be, and why meditation might be useful in attaining Nirvana:

In ancient texts, nirvana is often described with a word that is commonly translated as ‘the unconditioned’. For years I heard this strange-sounding term and wondered what it meant, but I figured that understanding it without actually reaching nirvana was probably hopeless and, for my purposes, not all that important. It turns out that I was wrong on both counts. The question ‘What is the unconditioned?’ has a pretty clear answer and a very important one, an answer that forms a kind of intersection between the exotically metaphysical and the naturalistic.
    Those who have suffered understand suffering and therefore extend their hand.

I can't do everything, but I can do something.

Oct 2010
    Religion
    stregheria

Re: Nirvana... what is it?

I myself have always thought of it as in balance with things,feeling as though you "BELONG!"
    I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.
    Mark Twain

Somewhat like Hunter S. Thompson who was called a gonzo Journalist,I consider myself to be something of a gonzo Pagan.

The wizard be in: But be warned if you poke him to much,the standard wand of anal probing +10 may be utilized.

It is interesting that humans seem to believe that they are the crown of creation,until nature drops a house on them....Just saying....

I have decided that I no longer want to be an adult... If anyone needs me, I'll be in my blanket fort, coloring.

Trust lost,is trust never regained.

http://www.paganforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=186&dateline=1330020104

Feb 2007
    Religion
    Phrase
    Where are the tweezers?

Quote Originally Posted by anunitu View Post
    I myself have always thought of it as in balance with things,feeling as though you "BELONG!"
    Kind of like the Tao?

Oct 2010
    Religion
    stregheria

i imagine so.

- - - Updated - - -

I think,therefore I exist. or I think,therefore I AM.
    I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.
    Mark Twain

Somewhat like Hunter S. Thompson who was called a gonzo Journalist,I consider myself to be something of a gonzo Pagan.

The wizard be in: But be warned if you poke him to much,the standard wand of anal probing +10 may be utilized.

It is interesting that humans seem to believe that they are the crown of creation,until nature drops a house on them....Just saying....

I have decided that I no longer want to be an adult... If anyone needs me, I'll be in my blanket fort, coloring.

Feb 2007
    Religion
    Phrase
    Where are the tweezers?

Quote Originally Posted by anunitu View Post
    i imagine so.

- - - Updated - - -

I think,therefore I exist. or I think,therefore I AM.
    I belch, therefore, I have gas in my stomach.

Oct 2010
    Religion
    stregheria

enlightening
    Mark Twain

Aug 2018
    Religion
    gnostic luciferian
    Phrase
    veritas lvx mea

Nirvana to me is just a sort of blanket term for the condition mentally one accomplishes through techniques that elevate ones concious awareness and perceptions. results are a more lucid train of thought and thinking and heightened perceptual abilitys often that lead into greater accuracy in physical and mental acts of will. I've definately found a greater sense of focus as well as serenity and such and my art has improved due to finding moments of clarity or nirvana..because you know its not a permenant state of being. but yeah definately a worthy pursuit.

Quote Originally Posted by B. de Corbin View Post
    Before enlightenment, chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment, chop wood, carry water)
    I like that description. Similar to 'after enlightenment comes the dishes'.

Interesting article. About the similarities between scientific 'enlightenment' and nirvana i would say there is one big difference: while science might find no evidence and so conclude that there is no 'true' self, independent of the environment (current consensus), it is quite another thing to experience existence like that. For the latter it is not enough to know, or believe, it is true.

Aug 2018
    Religion
    Always changing

Nirvana is in the Buddhist sense: The final goal. No suffering, desires, nor sense of self. Those who obtain this are released from the cycle of Karma. Life and death will not happen. You pretty much defeat the system of reincarnation in doing so.