AI psychopath created

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AI psychopath created

Here's something you don't see every day - a MIT scientist created an artificial intelligence that is psychopathic. On purpose.

MIT scientists created an AI-powered 'psychopath' named Norman

From the article:

The team then examined Norman's responses to inkblots used in a Rorschach psychological test. Norman's responses were compared to the reaction of another algorithm that had standard training. That algorithm saw flowers and wedding cakes in the inkblots. Norman saw images of a man being fatally shot and a man killed by a speeding driver.
    and...

Named after the main character in Alfred Hitchcock's "Psycho," Norman "represents a case study on the dangers of Artificial Intelligence gone wrong when biased data is used in machine learning algorithms," according to MIT.
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Re: AI psychopath created

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
    Here's something you don't see every day - a MIT scientist created an artificial intelligence that is psychopathic. On purpose.

MIT scientists created an AI-powered 'psychopath' named Norman

From the article:

and...
    Wow! That's bizarre.

Comment

I read that yesterday. It's... disconcerting... not so much that an ai can be built like that, I'm not surprised. But that people would do it seems stupid.
      You remind me of the babe
      What babe?
      The babe with the power
      What power?
      The Power of voodoo
      Who do?
      You do!
      Do what?
      Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Comment

I love that we're in a timeline where the DoD looks at AI and promptly seeks ethical guidance internally and externally while MIT decides that it would be awesome to build a psychopath bot. Granted, the stakes DoD plays in are infinitely higher than those of a random MIT researcher but I still find the comparison hillarious.
        life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by iris View Post
          I read that yesterday. It's... disconcerting... not so much that an ai can be built like that, I'm not surprised. But that people would do it seems stupid.
          That was my initial thought as well. But I'm wondering if an AI like that can help identify actual psychopaths before they end up hurting anyone. This feels like the beginnings of "Minority Report" type stuff.
          �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
          ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
          Sneak Attack
          Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

Just what is this scientist wanted to accomplish it for anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by Juniper View Post
              That was my initial thought as well. But I'm wondering if an AI like that can help identify actual psychopaths before they end up hurting anyone. This feels like the beginnings of "Minority Report" type stuff.
              That would be a good thing at least. I have no idea how that would work, it would still have to come into contact with people to do that... I'm not sure I want a psychopathic ai on the internet scanning for real ones.. It sounds like the start of a sci-fi with a really bad ending.
              You remind me of the babe
              What babe?
              The babe with the power
              What power?
              The Power of voodoo
              Who do?
              You do!
              Do what?
              Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Comment

Working...