Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Platonic Realism

Mar 2017
    Religion
    Sun worship

Platonic Realism

Platonic realism is the only philosophical position which has withstood the test of times.

http://platonicrealism.com

The Gaze of the Abyss B. de Corbin's Avatar
    Feb 2007
    Religion
    Alchemist and Neo-American Redneck Buddhist
    Frozen Northern Michigan, near Thunder Bay
    Phrase
    Where are the tweezers?

Re: Platonic Realism

Quote Originally Posted by saura View Post
    Platonic realism is the only philosophical position which has withstood the test of times.

http://platonicrealism.com
    That's nice. Care to tell us a bit about it?
    Those who have suffered understand suffering and therefore extend their hand.

I can't do everything, but I can do something.

Aug 2015
    Religion
    Pagan, leaning Greek but still learning about all paths

Sooo. let me guess. Trying to understand things is a worthless pursuit?

Mar 2017
    Religion
    Sun worship

Quote Originally Posted by B. de Corbin View Post
    That's nice. Care to tell us a bit about it?
    Platonic realism is the idea that universals exist independent of space-time and is accessible via the Intellect. Human beings have a priori knowledge of these universals right from the time of creation of the soul. For example:- sweetness, redness, mathematical truths etc are all entities that have an existence of their own.

Moreover the visible world is just a mere shadow copy of these universals. How does the intellect access the forms? Helios emits the divine light and stimulates the activity of the intellect.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by pillar View Post
    Sooo. let me guess. Trying to understand things is a worthless pursuit?
    Yes, trying to understand things of the visible world is a worthless pursuit while understanding the invisible is not.
    Last edited by saura; 15 Jun 2018 at 23:19.

Feb 2007
    Religion
    Phrase
    Where are the tweezers?

So a statement like "Helios emits the divine light and stimulates the activity of the intellect" is an axiom of "...the only philosophical position that has withstood the test of time"?

There is another philosophy called " science" that could make a similar statement, without the ambiguously meaningless words (divine light, activity of the intellect), and test that statement to determine it's accuracy.

Therefore, it looks to me as if the sweeping generalization ("only philosophical position") is false.

Mar 2017
    Religion
    Sun worship

Quote Originally Posted by B. de Corbin View Post
    So a statement like "Helios emits the divine light and stimulates the activity of the intellect" is an axiom of "...the only philosophical position that has withstood the test of time"?
    Its not an axiom, that's an empirical fact.

There is another philosophy called " science" that could make a similar statement, without the ambiguously meaningless words (divine light, activity of the intellect), and test that statement to determine it's accuracy.
    Perhaps people who are not initiated into the mysteries may not easily understand it. Oh, btw many scientists like Roger Penrose and Bernard have already seen the truth through the scientific method. Thank you!

"In fact, there is much in his treatise that is purely scientific in the most modern sense, having to do with the action of light, the sun's effect upon the seasons as well as the circulations of the planets around the sun, which "dance about him as their king, in certain intervals, fixed in relation to him." Most intriguing of all is the idea of the function of the sun in stimulating thought and the higher faculties. Referring to the Phoenicians, Julian cites their teaching that "the rays of light everywhere diffused are the undefiled incarnation [imbodiment] of pure mind." Modern scientists are within an ace of confirming some of these more recondite facts for themselves. "

-
    http://library.flawlesslogic.com/julian_2.htm

Therefore, it looks to me as if the sweeping generalization ("only philosophical position") is false.
    It is not a sweeping generalization, it might be offending to people who hold different philosophical positions but you cannot hide the truth for too long.
    Last edited by saura; 16 Jun 2018 at 11:12.

Feb 2007
    Religion
    Phrase
    Where are the tweezers?

Oh dear. It appears I am too ignorant to engage in this conversation.

Oct 2010
    Religion
    stregheria

That is ok,B, De. I might be able to translate into low level jargon,such as intellectual speak to 1984 kind of explanation. Peace is war and such.

Big brother is here to help.

- - - Updated - - -

Welcome to the nightmare.
    I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.
    Mark Twain

Somewhat like Hunter S. Thompson who was called a gonzo Journalist,I consider myself to be something of a gonzo Pagan.

The wizard be in: But be warned if you poke him to much,the standard wand of anal probing +10 may be utilized.

It is interesting that humans seem to believe that they are the crown of creation,until nature drops a house on them....Just saying....

I have decided that I no longer want to be an adult... If anyone needs me, I'll be in my blanket fort, coloring.

Trust lost,is trust never regained.

http://www.paganforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=186&dateline=1330020104

Nov 2014
    Religion
    Eclectic with some strong norse tendensies

I'm always weary of the words "initiation" "mysteries" and "truth" used in a religious context. Because at the end of the day we're human. We don't know the truth. And anything that claims to have some kind of mystical secret and knowledge that requires initiation has a slight taste of cult to me... Not that it always is. Just that that's my personal experience more often than not.
    There are scientific bits in there sure. Like. We need the sun? Really no arguing with that. But there's a lot of pseudo science posing as science to the untrained eye. Generally, a flow and poetic language and a lot of metaphors in a scientific piece of writing is a sign that you're moving our of actual science and in to a more subjective view point. A good scientist will never pass their personal beliefs off as conclusive truth to the world.
    You remind me of the babe
    What babe?
    The babe with the power
    What power?
    The Power of voodoo
    Who do?
    You do!
    Do what?
    Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Oct 2010
    Religion
    stregheria

well said Iris.
    I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.
    Mark Twain

Somewhat like Hunter S. Thompson who was called a gonzo Journalist,I consider myself to be something of a gonzo Pagan.

The wizard be in: But be warned if you poke him to much,the standard wand of anal probing +10 may be utilized.

It is interesting that humans seem to believe that they are the crown of creation,until nature drops a house on them....Just saying....

I have decided that I no longer want to be an adult... If anyone needs me, I'll be in my blanket fort, coloring.

Trust lost,is trust never regained.

http://www.paganforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=186&dateline=1330020104