Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Platonic Realism

Originally posted by saura View Post
    How do you explain the similar experiential insights by people from different cultures across varying timelines? Their revelations proves that an hierarchy exists and people who have gone on that route were never disappointed because the Platonic realm indeed exists.
    Well, without any additional information, I would select the following hypotheses:

1. Cultural diffusion/transmission

2. Human brains working the way human brains do

3. Cherry picking data (counting the hits and ignoring the misses)

4. Perception of reality.

Then, I would have to figure out which of these I could prove wrong. If any remain, that one is tentatively true.

You seem to be saying that only #4 can be correct, so I am not sure if you have done the rest of the work...

Just to point out - the quote from Dr. Wallace you use to close out your post is clearly referring to cultural diffusion (#1 on my list).
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
      Well, without any additional information, I would select the following hypotheses:

1. Cultural diffusion/transmission

2. Human brains working the way human brains do

3. Cherry picking data (counting the hits and ignoring the misses)

4. Perception of reality.

Then, I would have to figure out which of these I could prove wrong. If any remain, that one is tentatively true.

You seem to be saying that only #4 can be correct, so I am not sure if you have done the rest of the work...

Just to point out - the quote from Dr. Wallace you use to close out your post is clearly referring to cultural diffusion (#1 on my list).

I am not the only one who has thought about this. Many scholars in the past have analyzed this problem and have come to the conclusion that mere cultural diffusion does not account for this problem.

Valentinian Gnosticism and Classical Sāṃkhya: A Thematic and Structural Comparison

Paul and Julian believed in something and they died for what they believed. Both of them were not crazy people to die for ideas which came from cultural diffusion unless they had divine revelation about something.

Comment

How do you explain the similar experiential insights by people from different cultures across varying timelines?
        Biology

Their revelations proves that an hierarchy exists and people who have gone on that route were never disappointed because the Platonic realm indeed exists.
        There's no such thing as proof in science.
        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
          Biology

There's no such thing as proof in science.
          At this moment biology does not even understand how consciousness works and grandiose claims likes that requires evidence to backup.

Comment

At this moment biology does not even understand how consciousness works and grandiose claims likes that requires evidence to backup.
            That there is no such thing as proof in science is a Grandiose claim?

And you need evidence that humans share a common biology?

Comment

I am not the only one who has thought about this. Many scholars in the past have analyzed this problem and have come to the conclusion that mere cultural diffusion does not account for this problem.
              Irrelevant. Argument from authority ("scholars"), especially when different authorities give different responses, is not proof - argument from authority (argumentum ad verecundiam) is a logical fallacy.

Paul and Julian believed in something and they died for what they believed. Both of them were not crazy people to die for ideas which came from cultural diffusion unless they had divine revelation about something.
              I'm going to go with Neitzsche (from The Anti-Christ) on this one:
              Since there is a looooong history of people willing to die for stupid reasons, the mere willingness to die for an idea can not be taken as evidence of truth.

One can't argue that a martyr's death proves anything, other than that some people are willing to die for a belief or idea. That belief or idea may or may not be true - the truth of it must be proved using evidence...

...or, at least, without the use of obvious blablabla.
              Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                One can't argue that a martyr's death proves anything, other than that some people are willing to die for a belief or idea.
                What if the idea is that pizza is the king of food?

Check out my blog! The Daily Satanist

Comment

Originally posted by SeanRave View Post
                  An idea worth dying for, although most people know that the avocado is the king of food. The pizza is actually just "The King."

Comment

Originally posted by SeanRave View Post
                    Not my king!!!

Huehuehue

(Sorrynotsorry)
                    �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
                    ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
                    Sneak Attack
                    Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

Working...
                    X