Genetics and extinct animals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Genetics and extinct animals

Okay, I thought since we were on the topic of genetics I wanted to know what everyone thought about genetics and extinct animals. No, I'm not talking about dinosaurs here. I'm talking about animals that have been made extinct by man, like the dodo, or on the verge of extinction. I'm sort of in the middle because, for example, I've always wanted to see a dodo in person, not just in the books or as artwork. It upsets me that man has caused extinction of some animals that should still be here on Earth. So what do you think? Are animals a different story than humans? Do you think it would be right to bring them back? What do you think?
    Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Re: Genetics and extinct animals

Hard to say. I think we would have to come up with some kind of guideline. Recent extinctions maybe. We might even really need them for biosystem issues. But what if we still can't sustain them? Is it right to bring them back then?

Comment

In my reading and learning about the animals we killed off, a heard of buffalo could take several days to pass,and the passenger pigeon would blacken the sky for days as well,hard to imagine we could kill so many of our fellow living animals( I think humans suck sometimes)

ON passenger pigeons.
      MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
      NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
      don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
      http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by anubisa View Post
        It upsets me that man has caused extinction of some animals that should still be here on Earth. [...] What do you think?
        But should they be?

Personally I think mankind is part of the natural tendency of things to change over time. Just another (very big) gear on nature's mechanism that allows for renewal and creation (therefore destruction of the old). We are no different than a new species that appears in an already established ecosystem that tips the balance and brings about change (sometimes radical) of said ecosystem. If mankind provoked the extinction of certain species it is clear they were not fit to survive the human expansion. Many species have thrived and adapted to our influence in terms of sheer numbers and population, such as farm animals and species that adapted to urban scavenging like pigeons and rats. In the end our decision is as natural as any other species', so the only real deciding factor is do we want to see such species walk the earth again? Will they be introduced to their former ecosystems? Or should they be kept at zoos for admiration and study? It is all a matter of whim and consensus really. Whatever we chose, I believe human action is still natural.

Check out my blog! The Daily Satanist

Comment

Of course, in an ideal world, I personally would like to see the restoration of creatures made extinct by the actions of humanity. That being said, however, I would not support the resurrection of species (or even individuals) to have them thrown into a zoo or a park or have them live their lives out in a laboratory for the purposes of science. If the goal was to re-introduce these creatures to the wild, I'm also unsure if their former natural habitats even still in exist in many cases or, if they do, the question could be asked whether or not these habitats can support them considering the dwindling amount of wilderness remaining in the world.

How would re-introducing a species that has been extinct for several decades, let alone hundreds of years, potentially impact the modern ecosystems and creatures that presently occupy them? In the case of cloning, we also have limited knowledge (in the majority of cases) of the social structures and requirements of extinct creatures. If we were to bring back only a handful of individuals, what would their mental and emotional health look like without a herd or family unit? Additionally, challenges exist in genetic diversity and attaining a population large enough to successfully breed healthy, functional animals.

Comment

Also remember that some animals brought death in some form to us,the plague flea, the Spanish flu,also called the avion flu,or bird flu. bringing back a species "might" trigger our own extinction(never know)

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

I always want to see a dodo in person myself. I always want to see a dinosaur and dinosaur are considered extinct animals as well. As a matter of fact I always wanted to have a pet dinosaur to take care of such a a raptor and T-Rex. I believe Corbin is an expert when it comes to science and extinct animals. He might know somebody about it. I'm calling you out Corbin.

Comment

At the risk of getting deeply philosophical...

Right\wrong, should\shouldn't? Insufficient context. Relevant to what or to whom? All such choices postulate an unspoken, idealized endpoint. Being idealized, the idealized endpoint is nonexistent.

Better to just speak reality - time is long. What can be will be. What is is what must be. What must be is what should be.
                Last edited by B. de Corbin; 31 Jul 2018, 05:32.
                Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Thank you everyone for your thoughts. I wouldn't want any extinct animals brought back only to be put in a zoo. I would want them to be able to roam free. However, things have changed, like they always do. We can't know what change would do to them if we did bring extinct animals back. I always have been stuck in the middle on this debate, but it is clear on some things that bringing back those animals that are extinct wouldn't do any good but harm them and make a genetic mess. We have no right to mess with genetics in such a way. We are not the gods. However, if it is used to maybe help with health then we should use it, but I think it should be looked at, in any case, through moral and ethic glasses. That's just my opinion though. You don't have to agree with me.
                  Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

I agree with your opinion - it seems like a reasonable moral framework. However, I can guarantee you that's not what will end up happening.

Fortunately, I intend to die within the next 20 - 30 years, so it's going to be someone else's problem .
                    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

i may myself make 90 if i am unlucky.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

I'm 36. So I hope not to see the craziness of genetic use. Let's pray people have the sense to work things out before putting genetic power into use.
                        Anubisa

Comment

I'm 36. So I hope not to see the craziness of genetic use. Let's pray people have the sense to work things out before putting genetic power into use.
                          It has become possible to do gene splicing at home. It will only become easier for the general population to do "home brew" gene mucking. It can't be controlled. This, in itself, is a major issue - the range of half-buttoxed schemes of the "general population" should not be underestimated.

It's gonna be an interesting future...

- - - Updated - - -

It has become possible to do gene splicing at home. It will only become easier for the general population to do "home brew" gene mucking. It can't be controlled. This, in itself, is a major issue - the range of half-buttoxed schemes of the "general population" should not be underestimated.

It's gonna be an interesting future...

Comment

We are not the gods.
                            Umm, excuse me?

Check out my blog! The Daily Satanist

Comment

noted god boy
                              Last edited by anunitu; 01 Aug 2018, 11:48.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Working...
                              X