Shaving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shaving

Hi everyone! Thought I would share some of my weird hobbies with y'all, who knows, maybe someone shares them? My biggest hobby would be shaving my head with old fashioned razors, blades, soaps, shave brush, all that jazz. It started when I messed up my hair one day and decided I would just...shave it all off! I shaved my head on and off for a year or so, and then I started looking for something cheaper, which is how I found double edge safety razors! They are LOADS cheaper, that is, if you can resist collecting them. And blades. And shave brushes. And shaving soap and cream. And mugs. (I think you get the point.) Now it's a real passion of mine, I even have a channel where I review budget shave gear and whatnot, but I won't talk about that unless you message me and ask, as I got kicked off a shave forum for daring to acknowledge the fact that I had a channel. Apparently that's advertising. I'm a terrible advertiser then, because I didn't even mention the website or my channel name! Oh, well.

From there, I got into all things gentle"man"ly. I put that in quotes because I am a firm believer in the fact that gentle"man"ly arts are and should be gender neutral. For me, it means collecting watches, cigars, being interested in history, and learning in general, style, etiquette, etc. I believe, though, at it's core, the art of being a gentle"man" is simply striving to better yourself. It means broadening your horizons, using proper etiquette (within reason, because there are plenty of antiquated etiquette rules) and just being the best you that you can be. And if you ask me, that is totally gender neutral.

My interest in coffees and teas also stemmed from the gentle"man"ly arts. I enjoy collecting the coffees and teas themselves, collecting bowls/mugs for the imbibing of them, experimenting with brewing methods, and of course, sharing them with my loved ones.

I also enjoy being outdoors, though it can be hard to do things I love such as hiking, as I have Ehler Danlos Syndrome, which means I am very prone to sprains and dislocations in my joints, as well as pulling muscles, which all happen quite often. Because of this, swimming has quickly become my favorite thing to do! I'm obsessed with the water, preferably pools, I know, very unnatural and unwitchy, but I can't help it. I'm already afraid of sharks in the deep end, can you imagine me in a lake or the ocean? It's not pretty.

Other than those main ones, I love history, learning, reading, writing poetry, and much more, but that is the jist of it.

If you do share any of my interests or want to learn more, feel free to hit me up!

Re: Shaving

I love swimming for exercise. I'm not very good with being submerged in water otherwise but for the purpose of being active, swimming is my go to. I was recently in a lake and it was difficult for me though because of not being able to see the bottom but I managed it for a short while, that is until the fish started nibbling on the back of my knees.
    I also enjoy hiking. The hubby and I have a book on all the Columbia Gorge trails and we've been working our way through it.
    �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
    ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
    Sneak Attack
    Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

Nothing unnatural or unwitchy about being attracted to water. Figure that whole idea about water witching, dowsing and such is built around water witching. Thing is you just don't see much about it anymore though many sea towns or coastal towns had quite a bit of water lore. Occasionally you'll find old lore about float balls or find them as part of fishing lore. Sometimes around old coastal towns you'll also encounter stories and lore about sea witches and widows walks.

For water to be honest I prefer pools cut into the beds of rivers. They tend to have solid bottoms more often when the water is moving though if it is cut into the river bank it can be a bit dangerous. Ponds can be tricky in that the sediment can be like a trap and suck you down if you step into it. Yet if it has a rocky bottom then they are not to bad. Brackish water and many times pond water is to murky so depth is deceptive as well as hides what is beneath the surface. Sea water though has a taste, feel and smell that you can't miss. But regardless of type all of it has moods and faces that can change in a heartbeat. It can embrace you one moment then beat the heck out of you the next. 23 years in the Navy seen the water calm as glass and so angry we walked on the sides of the ship.

When I deployed on subs we couldn't use anything but old fashion shaving stuff. No cans or compressed stuff so you used the old brushes and cups most times. Not sure if that still holds true today or not as I rode in the mid to late 80's.
      I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

having ridden ships like you Monso,I agree about the Ocean being unpredictable. the calm as glass image,I remember well,when in the middle of the Pacific,and you can see the Horizon in every direction and it feels at times you are in a magic place. the fury of the ocean also is a sight to behold. or a sudden squall passing over. I rode out a typhoon on a destroyer,and that was very stimulating to say he least. I have always loved the ocean and was why I joined the navy. I did swim once in the open ocean,and it is scary knowing what lives in the water. AS to shaving,I always found it a pain in daily time,but as a kid I learned from my father to use a straight razor,that was mainly how my father shaved. when safety razors came out it was so much more easy to shave.
        Last edited by anunitu; 22 Aug 2018, 14:13.
        MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
        NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
        don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
        http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

i actually drowned in the ocean as a kid. fell off a cliff and went strait down and drowned so i was really scared of the water as a kid for a long time..which is wierd since im a scorpio which is a water sign? But yeah my parents did'nt want me to give up on swimming and my original love of the water so they invested in a lot of swimming lessons and diving lessons as a kid at the local ymca and I grew to love the water..I used to and still love to swim down to the bottom of the deep end and just chill and watch the other people swimming in the pool. Plus its a great way to enjoy nature and beat the heat..i love to go to one of the local lakes and soak up the beauty and enjoy a good dip in the lake. As far as shaving goes I religiously shave my head at least three or four times a month..i use a pair of electric hair clippers. On the flip side i am a proud beard wearer and have a really long beard that i now have to maintain lol...beards are a lot of work.

I'm a huge fan of the outdoors and i live in an area (montana) that is one of the most goregeous nature areas a man could find. I spend a lot of time up in the woods doing woodsy stuff like picking mushrooms and medicinal plants and flowers to dry..or picking berries. I also do a lot of fishing and hunting as well..i think its important to know these sort of skills and it helps restore ones connection to nature that a lot of humanity has lost over the centurys. My dream is to buy a small piece of land a bit further north from where i live now and put a yurt on it and I want to be as totally self dependent as i can ..i wanna plant rasberry bushes and fruit trees and grow a garden and raise chickens and goats and you know the whole off grid package.

I am a rabid consumer of caffiene in many forms..from the more gourmet coffee blends (favorite method of making coffee is wierd campfire coffee pot, second is french press, i've tried pretty much every method of making coffee and for some reason my campfire coffee pot just makes a much more flavorful and tasty brew. I always have a huge stash of varying strengths and blends of tea to drink and I tend to love energy drinks and consume those a lot lol. caffiene is definately my drug of choice..i can't fathom not having it

Comment

Working...
          X