Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who's your favorite movie monster?

Oct 2013
    Religion
    Egyptian Wiccan
    Phrase
    Daughter of Lord Anubis and Lady Bast.

Who's your favorite movie monster?

Well I went to see The Nun with my dad the other week and a trailer of Godzilla: King of Monsters previewed. I watched a lot of the old Godzilla movies when I was a little girl with my mother. Godzilla and Mothra are two of my favorite movie monsters and in the new trailer it features some of the old monsters which include Godzilla (of course), Mothra, Rodan, and King Ghidorah. So I was just wondering, who is your favorite movie monster?
    Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

The Diary of an Egyptian Witch | Reading is Love | I Love My Books

May 2013
    Religion
    Shamanic Practitioner & Green / Hedge Witch with Hellenic leanings
    Phrase
    Can't never did nothing till it tried!

Re: Who's your favorite movie monster?

To be honest I can't pick a favorite because "Movie Monster" covers to large a spectrum.

For the Japanese Kaiju type monsters I've always preferred Godzilla and Gamera in the early movies. Never much cared for either once they became "Friends" vice monsters. That's what hurt the Gamera series the most I think. Despise the American version of Godzilla though. There are some interesting Korean monsters as well and a few 1 run Japanese movie monsters such a Varan (1962) that I enjoyed but they are hard to find now. The Japanese had a series called Daimajain that was interesting and had something like 2 movies. Technically it was a kaiju but also a monster spirit trapped in stone. But then some place the 1933 King Kong into that same kaiju type movie which to me will always be a better movie. The same could be said for the 1949 Might Joe Young movie. Somewhat similar to the King Kong movie but different at the same time, but worlds above the 1933 sequel to King Kong called Son of Kong.

So I tend to break things down into generations and genre's. My favorites though tend to be from two main generation, that being the late 1930-1940's and the 1950's. For the late 1930-1940's it's the so called classic movie monsters like Invisible Man, Dracula, Frankenstein, Wolfman and Mummy and for the 1950's the so called big bug and dinosaur movies. I don't persay have a favorite though I prefer THEM, DEADLY MANTIS, THE GIANT BEHEMOTH, IT CAME FROM BENEATH THE SEA, TARANTULA, 50 MILLION MILES TO EARTH to name a few.

The 1960's and 1970's have their movie monsters as well but they didn't register as larger for me. I suppose mostly because I started to see more fantasy and Sci-fi coming around than horror. That and I saw more of the Zombie type movies arriving at the time which I didn't have a great interest in at the time though today I do find more of them of interest. Especially through the 1970's. Amando De Ossorio's Blind Dead series about the Knights Templar filmed through the early 1970's (4 films) is an interesting series. Various cuts exist in English and Spanish.

Never much cared for the slasher type horrors though I've watched more than a few of them. So the Nightmare of Elm Street's, Halloween's, Friday the Thirteenth's, Saws' and more recent never really appealed to me. Others such as Silent Hill are slasher's but the story line has held my attention and are deeper than the typical bunch of kids getting killed in the same typical manner over and over.
    I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Oct 2010
    Religion
    stregheria

my fav is predator and the alien series. but then i am not a huge monster movie type, Old bowery boys and abbot and Costello stuff,like they meet the wolf man,and Dracula ones. slasher ones never liked by me at all.

- - - Updated - - -

see here.

I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.
    Mark Twain

Somewhat like Hunter S. Thompson who was called a gonzo Journalist,I consider myself to be something of a gonzo Pagan.

The wizard be in: But be warned if you poke him to much,the standard wand of anal probing +10 may be utilized.

It is interesting that humans seem to believe that they are the crown of creation,until nature drops a house on them....Just saying....

I have decided that I no longer want to be an adult... If anyone needs me, I'll be in my blanket fort, coloring.

Trust lost,is trust never regained.

http://www.paganforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=186&dateline=1330020104

May 2013
    Religion
    Phrase

Quote Originally Posted by anunitu View Post
    my fav is predator and the alien series. but then i am not a huge monster movie type, Old bowery boys and abbot and Costello stuff,like they meet the wolf man,and Dracula ones. slasher ones never liked by me at all.
    I always liked Abbott and Costello meet Frankenstein but that was also sort of the end of the heyday for the classic monsters. Universal was combining them to get the most bang for the buck at that time. Though they did a good job with that one but didn't care to much for the other Abbot and Costello meet a monster movies. When they meet the Invisible Man was ok I though but never found it entertaining when they later meet Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde or the later Mummy movie.

Aug 2018
    Religion
    Pagan/ witch

The predator dinosaurs from the Jurassic Park movies.
    The vampire Lestat from Interview With The Vampire.
    The Beast (from Beauty and the Beast).
    The dragons from Game of Thrones.
    Ludo from Labyrinth. He looks like a monster, but he's actually just a big teddybear.

Mar 2009
    Religion
    Finding sanctity.
    Phrase
    Mistress of the Ban

Quote Originally Posted by Eleanor View Post
    The predator dinosaurs from the Jurassic Park movies.
    The vampire Lestat from Interview With The Vampire.
    The Beast (from Beauty and the Beast).
    The dragons from Game of Thrones.
    Ludo from Labyrinth. He looks like a monster, but he's actually just a big teddybear.
    I would argue that in the more modern versions of Beauty and the Beast, Beast isn't the monster, but rather Gaston. In earlier folklore versions, Gaston doesn't exist, and the personality type he portrays is actually a part of the beast. Sometime in the 19th century, Gaston was first introduced. (Or there abouts...I don't 100% remember who introduced Gaston).

My answer would depend on the definition we are using for 'monster'. Classically, Bram Stokers Dracula. But I really love transformative characters in film or literature. Jaime Lannister from GoT, for instance. He's generally repulsive, but becomes more and more relatable as time goes by and some semblance of humanism is portrayed.

I really like any monster that explores the idea that the darkest parts of ourselves created the monster.

But I guess that's more in literature. I honestly don't really watch films.
    We are all these things [...]. Pride, desire, compassion, cleverness, belligerence, fruitfulness, loyalty...and guilt. But above it all stands love. And if we desire to be more than human, that is the star by which we must set our sights.

Questions of science, science and progress, do not speak as loud as my heart.

Hot Pickle!

You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.

“Leaving is not enough. You must stay gone. Train your heart like a dog. Change the locks even on the house he’s never visited. You lucky, lucky girl. You have an apartment just your size. A bathtub full of tea. A heart the size of Arizona, but not nearly so arid. Don’t wish away your cracked past, your crooked toes, your problems are papier mache puppets you made or bought because the vendor at the market was so compelling you just had to have them. You had to have him. And you did. And now you pull down the bridge between your houses, you make him call before he visits, you take a lover for granted, you take a lover who looks at you like maybe you are magic. Make the first bottle you consume in this place a relic. Place it on whatever altar you fashion with a knife and five cranberries. Don’t lose too much weight. Stupid girls are always trying to disappear as revenge. And you are not stupid. You loved a man with more hands than a parade of beggars, and here you stand. Heart like a four-poster bed. Heart like a canvas. Heart leaking something so strong they can smell it in the street.”

Frida Kahlo to Marty McConnell

Aug 2018
    Religion
    Pagan/ witch

Quote Originally Posted by volcaniclastic View Post
    I would argue that in the more modern versions of Beauty and the Beast, Beast isn't the monster, but rather Gaston. In earlier folklore versions, Gaston doesn't exist, and the personality type he portrays is actually a part of the beast. Sometime in the 19th century, Gaston was first introduced. (Or there abouts...I don't 100% remember who introduced Gaston).

My answer would depend on the definition we are using for 'monster'. Classically, Bram Stokers Dracula. But I really love transformative characters in film or literature. Jaime Lannister from GoT, for instance. He's generally repulsive, but becomes more and more relatable as time goes by and some semblance of humanism is portrayed.

I really like any monster that explores the idea that the darkest parts of ourselves created the monster.

But I guess that's more in literature. I honestly don't really watch films.
    That's interesting! I think Beauty and the Beast must have been my favorite Disney movie as a kid and I've never really looked up the history behind the story. I don't think of the Beast as evil, but he did turn into a monster to portray his behaviour as a human, until he met Belle of course. I agree that Gaston is the real monster in the movie.

I'm interested in the background of characters. Lestat for example is portrayed as a monster in the movie, but if you've read the books, you understand where his evil behaviour comes from. It's still not an excuse to suck the life out of everyone the way he does though :P

Dec 2010
    Religion
    Eclectic Pagan/Stregheria

I'm with anubisa on this - the good old Godzilla!

Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

May 2013
    Religion
    Phrase

If you like the Beauty and the Beast stuff you might like the 1946 French movie "La Belle et la Bęte". From what I understand it's a better adaptation of the story. Its in French so need subtitles in English to follow the story unless you speak French. The full movie is on youtube but they are in other languages with no subtitles

Last edited by monsno_leedra; 29 Sep 2018 at 13:12.

Mar 2009
    Religion
    Jedi
    Phrase
    The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant compared to the power of the Force.

I don't have a specific favorite but, for today, I'll go with Terminators. They don't have anything specific against you (unless you're on their target list). They just have a job to do and they will do it unless you take them out. Also, T-800s in T1 and T2 are marvelous examples of less is more. They are not spectacularly powerful on a sci-fi scale but they are more than enough to be nearly unstoppable for people operating with small arms and jury-rigged equipment.
    "It is not simply enough to know the light…a Jedi must feel the tension between the two sides of the Force…in himself and in the universe."
    ―Thon

"When to the Force you truly give yourself, all you do expresses the truth of who you are,"

Yoda

Yoda told stories, and ate, and cried, and laughed: and the Padawans saw that life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis