Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who's your favorite movie monster?

Nov 2014
    Religion
    Eclectic with some strong norse tendensies

Re: Who's your favorite movie monster?

Dracula from the 1992 movie is a favourite. And ludo from labyrinth too, I love him. Katla, a dragon creature in "the brothers lionheart" (Swedish children's movie/book) used to scare me so much. I don't watch a lot of monster movies..
    You remind me of the babe
    What babe?
    The babe with the power
    What power?
    The Power of voodoo
    Who do?
    You do!
    Do what?
    Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Oct 2013
    Religion
    Egyptian Wiccan
    Phrase
    Daughter of Lord Anubis and Lady Bast.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkfeathers View Post
    I'm with anubisa on this - the good old Godzilla!
    There was a Godzilla movie back in 1999 (I think it was) and it was featured in New York City. It really did not make me happy because it wasn't the Godzilla we know and love. It didn't have the roar that is familiar only to Godzilla. That is what I love about the old Godzilla movies and the most recent movie and new one that is coming out. It is staying true to Godzilla.
    Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

The Diary of an Egyptian Witch | Reading is Love | I Love My Books

Dec 2010
    Religion
    Eclectic Pagan/Stregheria

Quote Originally Posted by anubisa View Post
    There was a Godzilla movie back in 1999 (I think it was) and it was featured in New York City. It really did not make me happy because it wasn't the Godzilla we know and love. It didn't have the roar that is familiar only to Godzilla. That is what I love about the old Godzilla movies and the most recent movie and new one that is coming out. It is staying true to Godzilla.
    Agreed. When I was a teenager, a local tv channel used to do a "4:30 movie" on weekdays and sometimes it was Godzilla week. That's when I first saw all those golden oldies! I loved the two tiny singing women in Mothra, too. Another old fave of mine is "Dinosaurus", a very primitively made movie from the '60s about a caveman and dinosaur thawing out from a glacier. It's done in that old stop-motion style that's really laughable today, but I loved it as a kid.

Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

lady sings the blues DanieMarie's Avatar
    Oct 2009
    Religion
    Solitary Pagan

Quote Originally Posted by volcaniclastic View Post
    I would argue that in the more modern versions of Beauty and the Beast, Beast isn't the monster, but rather Gaston. In earlier folklore versions, Gaston doesn't exist, and the personality type he portrays is actually a part of the beast. Sometime in the 19th century, Gaston was first introduced. (Or there abouts...I don't 100% remember who introduced Gaston).

My answer would depend on the definition we are using for 'monster'. Classically, Bram Stokers Dracula. But I really love transformative characters in film or literature. Jaime Lannister from GoT, for instance. He's generally repulsive, but becomes more and more relatable as time goes by and some semblance of humanism is portrayed.

I really like any monster that explores the idea that the darkest parts of ourselves created the monster.

But I guess that's more in literature. I honestly don't really watch films.
    I'm with you on all of that. I love that as well.

It's there in films as well. Good film uses the same story-telling elements as lit does. Like, some of the older Frankenstein movies (especially Bride of Frankenstein with Boris Karloff) explore the humanity of the monster and the more monstrous aspects of the humans in the stories.