Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Horrible Accusations

Re: Horrible Accusations

This is very true. Some people do falsely accuse people. They are bullies. However, people do not come out for several years because they can be intimidated or feel like they wouldn't have the support or people wouldn't believe in them. People need to make sure that there is evidence and that they work with the police and law. Some peoples reputations can be destroyed. It is very unfortunate. I am hoping that sometime in the future we will have a better legal system for sorting out the liars and those who tell the truth. We will have to see.
    Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

Very few reports are found to be false, and most that are found to be false are considered such because the cops didn't have enough evidence, because the authorities were such @holes that the person changed their mind, because the charges were dropped because the prosecutor decided they couldn't get a conviction, etc.
      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
        Very few reports are found to be false, and most that are found to be false are considered such because the cops didn't have enough evidence, because the authorities were such @holes that the person changed their mind, because the charges were dropped because the prosecutor decided they couldn't get a conviction, etc.
        Case in point:

In the Brett Kavanaugh debacle, the prosecutor hired by the Repubs to question Ford and Kavanaugh stated afterward that she would not bring the case against Kavanaugh to court. The "conservative media" is promoting this as evidence that Kavanaugh is innocent. What it actually means, though, is that based on the questioning of the two (Ford/Kavanaugh) there was not enough evidence to make a conviction possible.

It DOES NOT mean that he is innocent of the charges, or that, with further questioning of witnesses (not allowed on the hill, in this case, for some reason) evidence could not be found, or that evidence that Kavanaugh's testimony is questionable in it's candor can not be found, or evidence that he drank to the point of memory loss and doesn't remember his actions could not be found.

It only means that not enough evidence was available at that point to bring charges for a winnable trial
        Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

it seems to be a lot of spin than truth
          MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
          NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
          don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
          http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

It is often difficult to provide enough evidence immediately, much less years later. Often, rape cases go unreported or without prosecution because of this. The trial can be a real ordeal for the victim as well as the accused. A very small percentage of accusations are false, but more go unreported, because reporting is a nightmare in and of itself. I believe it was worse in the 80's. I was a teenager then, and I am quite sure that in the situations alleged of Kavenaugh I would have avoided reporting then due to the consequences of humiliation and social isolation that would have occurred.

The problem with the recent public accusations is that it is very difficult to make a case on an event that happened so long ago, but the consequences of appointing a rapist to the Supreme Court are pretty grim. Also, as the public, we are faced with respecting and supporting someone who in all good faith is the victim of a brutal crime, and acknowledging the rule of law, which means presumption of innocence until proven guilty. I most certainly don't want presumption of innocence to go away. I may have an opinion of my own, acknowledging it is likely flawed due to missing or biased information, but I have to honor the rule of law. I will probably never know what really happened, and neither will you.

It is possible that any one of us could encounter someone who unfairly accuses us of a crime. It is a horrible thing when it happens, and if it can be proved to be an intentionally false accusation it should be punished within the means of the law. It is also an unlikely thing for most people. Most women really aren't holding false rape allegations in their arsenal of weapons in a personal vendetta against men. We just want to be treated as people, and we would really like rape to stop. False accusations harm this goal, and harm people we love.

Comment

Problem is it turned into a political tool by both parties. done mainly from tablet
              Last edited by anunitu; 03 Oct 2018, 13:41.
              MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
              NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
              don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
              http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Oh, yeah. Stirring up a mob. It has become an art form.

Comment

This is very true. When the trial was on, it was on all day. No wonder the mob is stirred up.
                  Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

A bit late but

makes for an interesting read regarding false rape claims. It covers both their rarity and what they actually tend to look like when they happen. I encourage reading the whole thing but one interesting point is that false charges rarely go far

Originally posted by the article
                    Furthermore, in the most detailed study ever conducted of sexual assault reports to police, undertaken for the British Home Office in the early 2000s, out of 216 complaints that were classified as false, only 126 had even gotten to the stage where the accuser lodged a formal complaint. Only 39 complainants named a suspect. Only six cases led to an arrest, and only two led to charges being brought before they were ultimately deemed false. (Here, as elsewhere, it has to be assumed that some unknown percentage of the cases classified as false actually involved real rapes; what they don’t involve is countless innocent men’s lives being ruined.)
                    This isn't to say that no one is ever convicted falsely of rape. Going off US stats, the National Registry of Exonerations records 52 people exonerated after a conviction of sexual assault. So people have been falsely convicted. Just remember that the Registry started in 1989. So that's 52 people exonerated after conviction in just shy of 30 years. By contrast, 790 people have been exonerated after convictions of murder in the same time period.
                    life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Thank you for finding the statistics.

Comment

Thanks MaskedOne. That's a very interesting article.

Comment

Working...
                        X