Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

F'd up browser, some buttons not working... Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

F'd up browser, some buttons not working... Help!

So I installed and used adwcleaner to rid myself of some adware and now my browsers (all of them have the same problems) are not working properly:

First, web pages take much much longer to load. then some buttons and some functions are not working! Some search bars I can write on them but I can't press the search button and pressing 'enter' doesn't do anything either. This completely breaks some pages like google+ and some of youtube as well... What happened?! Did adwcleaner just delete some important stuff thinking it was a virus?

Check out my blog! The Daily Satanist

Re: F'd up browser, some buttons not working... Help!

Be aware that some so called anti adware programs were actually ad ware droppers,you might search the term fake adware cleaners.
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

check this link

The latest trend in the awful Windows ecosystem is pretty ridiculous -- scammers have a fake version of the reputable AdwCleaner tool, which is a real tool for Windows experts.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

remove adwcleaner.

Install a clean browser
        Faster, safer and smarter than default browsers. Fully-featured for privacy, security, and so much more. Get the faster, better Opera browser for free.

should work. If you have it already then I'll find another.

If the clean browser works then save everything of value from your other browsers and then delete and re-install them one at a time. This may be an issue with Microsoft Edge which doesn't delete well. The following link

goes over how to reset Edge. Hopefully, you don't need to use Powershell.

If the clean browser does not work or you can't actually install it, then let us know. Some particularly happy go lucky malware likes to play games with DNS settings. If that is the case then things might be a little bit more special.
        life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

I managed to repair everything with a windows repair toolkit. The adwcleaner did it job... Deleting key registry and some windows stuff.

Comment

you might have to keep an eye on things,had one keep popping back up after a while, had to do a very deep clean on that one.

- - - Updated - - -

at times it is good to do a disk image backup,to restore things.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Well. It came back. It's an adware that pops ads into my browsers. My adblocker blocks them all, but I use some applications for videogame streaming that have integrated microbrowsers and those do not support ad blocking plugins.

... And heck, it's malware. I don't want that on my PC. Tried installing Opera, got infected on first startup.

ADWcleaner, Malwarebytes, AVG and avast do not detect the virus. Though from time to time, Malwarebytes will pop up saying "Site blocked, it's been hijacked" or something like that. So he kind of realizes there's something, but nothing turns out in the scans.

I really don't want to pay 50€ for a technician to come to my house. I don't have that kind of money.

Comment

if you can find your boot list,that runs programs at boot. might me the prob,an embed ed prog,they also will overwrite viruschecker name list

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

So the minimally invasive option

Use

To change your DNS setting to 8.8.8.8 and pray that you don't actually have a virus active on your machine and that you're just dealing with modified DNS settings. DNS settings control how your browsers interprets web address, so if I control the server that you go to for it then I can screw you over even if I don't have active malware on your system.

The highly invasive option is to save everything of value, reset Windows (if you aren't on Win 10 then you really won't enjoy doing this) and then reload your programs.

The latter option is safer but the former has worked at least temporarily for me once before and if opera has been modded instantly then you may be dealings with DNS shenanigans.

EDIT:

The moderately invasive option is that I find a convenient tutorial on the creation of a bootable anti-virus on the chance that you have a rootkit.
                  Last edited by MaskedOne; 11 Nov 2018, 22:01.
                  life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Oh my, I completely forgot about updating this thread. My excuses, thanks anunitu for reminding me.

I had to do a system restore to a previous date. I rolled back to a couple of days that I suspect the infection happened. All is working properly now. didn't loose much data in the process either.

Comment

glad to hear sean

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Working...
                      X