Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you sell your genetic material...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would you sell your genetic material...?

Would you sell your genetic material for $50,000 to a government/company that wants to use some of it to create an army of super soldiers?
    Absolutely!
    0%
    Yes, but only if I need the money.
    0%
    Reluctantly, but probably.
    0%
    Not sure... depends on other considerations.
    0%
    NO WAY!
    0%
    Other???
    0%
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Re: Would you sell your genetic material...?

Sure I would. Jokes on them - my genetics are crap.

Edit: and 50k is 50k.
    Last edited by volcaniclastic; 20 Nov 2018, 11:05.

Mostly art.

Comment

I say no way.

If it belongs to me to the point that I can sell it, I will determine what is done with it, and I don't care for the idea of genetically modified super soldiers. Seems like the unraveling of a future nightmare.

Money has importance, but it isn't everything... not everything is for sale to those who have the money to buy it (in my world).
      Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

I'm pretty sure my genetic material would just end up causing those super-soldiers to overeat and become fat and moody like me. I doubt any government would want that.
        �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
        ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
        Sneak Attack
        Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

Meh... I suppose most people think in the totality of their genes. But more likely it would be small snippets added together, leading to a very different final expression that is needed. Maybe those genes that people think of as "bad" would provide the bits that are most valuable.

Comment

Probably. Odds are that if a government agency needs genetic material for a super soldier program then it can be accomplished via more than one possible option so I may as well profit off something that'll happen anyway. On the off chance that my genetics are the only possible way to accomplish this there are various ways to compel me to provide samples. Sure, many of them are unethical and some are illegal but that doesn't necessarily guarantee said measures won't occur. May as well take the cash while it's on the table rather than wait for compulsory options.

If my refusal kills the project and I have absolute defense against compulsory methods of acquisition (and also against retaliation) then the issue becomes more iffy.
            life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

No. It's because of ethics to me. Why would we need super soldiers? Gosh it reminds me if Judge Dredd with 'all the best judge DNA.' If you've seen the first one. The last thing we need is to tamper with DNA like that.
              Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

they can kiss my butt to get the sample
                MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Maybe for $100,000.

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
                    Probably. Odds are that if a government agency needs genetic material for a super soldier program then it can be accomplished via more than one possible option so I may as well profit off something that'll happen anyway. On the off chance that my genetics are the only possible way to accomplish this there are various ways to compel me to provide samples. Sure, many of them are unethical and some are illegal but that doesn't necessarily guarantee said measures won't occur. May as well take the cash while it's on the table rather than wait for compulsory options.

If my refusal kills the project and I have absolute defense against compulsory methods of acquisition (and also against retaliation) then the issue becomes more iffy.
                    Absolutely true - that's why I started my own response with "If it belongs to me to the point that I can sell it..."

Actually, everybody leaves their genetic material all over everything, so if somebody wanted it, that person would just have to pick it up. In fact, if you've had a genetic test done (23 and Me, for example) you've paid money to give somebody your genetic material who can then sell it to whomever they please, without asking you (i.e.: you no longer own your genetic information. Hope you read the contract...)

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by anubisa View Post
                    No. It's because of ethics to me. Why would we need super soldiers? Gosh it reminds me if Judge Dredd with 'all the best judge DNA.' If you've seen the first one. The last thing we need is to tamper with DNA like that.
                    Yup - the stuff of fiction is now reality. I was reading Dean Koontz Twilight Eyes when I started wondering about the ethics of this.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
                    they can kiss my butt to get the sample
                    LOL - technically, that's one way to get it.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin
                      Would you sell your genetic material for $50,000 to a government/company that wants to use some of it to create an army of super soldiers?
                      Not sure if my genetic material would be fit to create super soldiers. Perhaps if they consider magick and the occult as a reality, and as a weapon, it may be possible.

Comment

I had to say, “NO WAY!” since I’d hate to think of my kids... or clones... or what have you... forced into the lives of government owned super soldiers. Although, like others have said, I doubt the government would stick to the law in a situation where respecting the rights of one individual stood in the way of getting an army of super soldiers. But looking at the poll from the view point that I actually have a choice, then yeah, “NO WAY!” would be my answer.

Comment

An army of super powered Seans? AND I GET PAID FOR IT?!

Absolutely YES!
                          Last edited by Sean R. R.; 04 Dec 2018, 12:06.

Check out my blog! The Daily Satanist

Comment

Did anyone (back in the day) ever watch SeaQuest?

GMO clone supersoldiers didn't work out too well for anyone...
                            Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                            sigpic

Comment

No way!! I don't want the government's new demented soldiers to know my every weakness. And I want my strengths to be strengths- not mutual sameness.

Comment

Working...
                              X