Thread: Kill the missionary?

Oct 2005
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

Re: Kill the missionary?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...GqbhSo_BWPCgz4

I don't feel sorry for him at all. I maybe feel a bit sorry for his family and friends, but then again, that's probably where the learned the selfishness, fanaticism, and zealotry that let him to disregard wide swathes of his own Holy Book, the laws of the land, the expressed desires of these people, and the actual safety and health of these people and their culture.
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible

lady sings the blues DanieMarie's Avatar
    Oct 2009
    Religion
    Solitary Pagan

Re: Kill the missionary?

Quote Originally Posted by thalassa View Post
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...GqbhSo_BWPCgz4

I don't feel sorry for him at all. I maybe feel a bit sorry for his family and friends, but then again, that's probably where the learned the selfishness, fanaticism, and zealotry that let him to disregard wide swathes of his own Holy Book, the laws of the land, the expressed desires of these people, and the actual safety and health of these people and their culture.
    Yeah, I read a bunch of articles that talked to his family and friends. They're pretty sure that he was doing the right thing. So yeah, I'm not that sorry for them, either.