How to talk to/summon a nymph

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to talk to/summon a nymph

Title says it all, whatever your beliefs are if they include the existence of nymphs please tell me how to communicate with one, what language(s) they speak, and how to summon them

If the type of nymph matters which I assume it does, a wind nymph, from Greek Mythology

Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Also, another question, are their any other forms of wind or nature creatures/spirits in Greek/Roman/Egyptian/Celtic/Norse/Etc mythology?

Thanks

Re: How to talk to/summon a nymph

There are Deamons. They were described to me as sort of go between creatures/spirits between people and their gods. They make sure your offering reaches your god etc.

Comment

were they not bound to a tree? a wood nymph?
      MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
      NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
      don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
      http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Nymphs are bound to a certain location, like rivers, springs, woods, trees, mountains and other parts of nature. There are wind nymphs or nymphs associated with the wind or sky. I'm not an expert on all of their names, but a quick Google search takes me to Aura. Her name means 'Breeze' and she is also called "Aura the windmaid", because she is as fast as the wind. In some source she is the daughter of Boreas, the north wind.
        There is also Nephele, who is a cloud nymph.

I sometimes work with nymphs, as Pan is my patron and his companions are nymphs. I don't explicitly summon them, but I visit their home. So if I want to talk to a dryad, or wood nymph, I'll go to the forest and choose a tree to connect with. Old trees are more likely to be inhabited than younger trees. I always leave an offering for them.

I don't communicate any different to a nymph than I do to Pan or any other deity. You don't have to learn to speak Greek in order to communicate with a Greek nymph. Just speak the language you're most comfortable with

Comment

very nice eleanor
          Last edited by anunitu; 26 Nov 2018, 00:02.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

I think the problem is "Nymph" is a generic category and applies to "female" entities that existed prior to the Olympian Pantheon and afterwards. So for instance the water spirits that are called Nereids who are the daughters of Poseidon are after the Olympian Pantheon is formed but those same Nereids who are created during the Protogenoi period of Hellene mythology are also called Nereids. They are all "Nymphs" and technically all Demi-gods or Daemons or nature spirits but come from two different time frames and have different powers and influences.

Both could realistically induce a person into "Nympholepsy" which is basically "Nymp" Possession or Seizure which could induce prophecy for instance. A number of the Various "Nymphs" of differing types have their own shrines or temples where people in rural or remotes areas will worship them or leave offerings to the actual "Nymph" not to any God or Goddess. Not to say various divinities do not have altars at those temples / Shrines / Sanctuaries / Sacred Places.

Just my own opinion but when you start looking at any of the Daemon's you have to look to which time period your calling from. The daemon's of the protogenoi period are almost god / goddess themselves in their powers yet the daemon's of the Olympian period are lessor in power and presence. Many of their powers have been assumed by the Gods & Goddesses themselves just as they have assumed many of the powers of the former divine beings they overthrew. The way they interact with humanity is also different.

In some ways that difference is seen in the early stories of the wilderness and its dangers and the separation of "Wilderness" vs "Civilization" compared to later time frames.

How to talk to the or work with them? Truthfully it depends. Many are almost primordial in nature so they are not really spoken to as much as "felt" and "sensed". Figure your skin doesn't talk to the wind as it shivers yet it conveys what it is feeling through it's touch and kiss. Your breath and voice is "Air & Wind" released upon the current to be carried forth from you and joined to the currents moving about you. It's a warm wind to be chilled by the cold north wind, a damp wind to be dried by a hot south wind, it could be a lighted wind to be carried into a darkened west wind or a darkened east wind to be pushed into a rising blooming east wind. It's all relative to where your standing at the moment in time. Inversely your the repository for the wind you've taken in from any direction to be used and joined to your working as you join with it and breath it into your lungs. It's all perspective.

Just my opinion again but the idea of the Daemon is seen in the Celtic stories of the fae, the Bean Sidhe, the Germanic / Norse stories of the Giants, The Elves & Dwarves and other Land Wights. The idea of Land Spirits is always there you just have to look for it and figure out how the various culture's talk about them. Many are hidden in plain sight and have come down in many fragments. Many times reappearing over and over, sometimes in the form of something like Krampus the Christmas demon, the story of the Wild Hunt. Sometimes it will be in the form of a landmark name. Other times in the form of a urban legend or undying tale that seems to never end but is known by everyone in a given region though might have slight variations.
            I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

as always monsno,thank you.
              Last edited by anunitu; 26 Nov 2018, 04:43.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Ah thanks all, very useful information hahah!

Wrote what I wanted down cx,

Don't they have humanoid forms too though? They're often depicted as beautiful young maidens, do they ever appear before people as so? Is this only in Nympholepsy?

Sorry for my ignorance, researching all the new things I've learned as we speak

Comment

Originally posted by Celtic_ View Post
                  .. Don't they have humanoid forms too though? They're often depicted as beautiful young maidens, do they ever appear before people as so? Is this only in Nympholepsy?

Sorry for my ignorance, researching all the new things I've learned as we speak
                  Been trying to figure out how to respond to this one, so please forgive me is this seems disjointed or doesn't come across quite as I intend.

Because the term "Nymph" is so generic in application I think you have to both consider how it is used within the Hellene mythology and time periods but also within your own mental imagery. When you read Hellene mythology and structure you have the ambiguous meaning of the term that is sort of applied to the term that goes back to the Protogenoi period. It references both an elemental and a human like figure that is anthropomorphic image of nature. Then you also have the later Olympian period that is also humanoid but is more human like but seems to contain both the anthropomorphic imaging of nature but also true demi-human beings. They are no longer the earlier elemental "Wilderness" beings but more humanized and actually able to interbreed with humanity. Yet that ability to interbreed has changed the "Daemon" or "Nymphs" character just as the "Mankind" has evolved in Hellene lore from Golden to Silver to Bronze to Iron along with changes in mankind's nature.

THE MELIAI (Meliae) were the Oread-nymphs of mountain ash-tree, born of Gaia (Gaea, the Earth) when she was impregnated by the blood of the castrated Ouranos (Uranus, the Sky).
                  They were the wives of the Silver Race of Man and mothers of the Bronze, the third generation of mankind. They nursed their sons on the honey-sap (Greek meli) of the ash, and armed them with spears crafted from the wood of their trees (Greek melia). The Bronze were an overly warlike race who incurred the wrath of Zeus and were destroyed in the floods of the Great Deluge.
                  http://www.theoi.com/Nymphe/NymphaiMeliai.html

So yes, they have humanoid forms but that form is both the beautiful young maiden but it could be something else as well. But again it depends upon time frame as to which predominant form is seen. In later periods you mostly see the human looking young human maiden form. That is also the form utilized in most stories and modern tellings. However, move it outside of Hellene lore and you encounter the Nymph in the form of Selkie's for instance where the maiden takes the form of Seal's until the Maiden drops her seal skin and moves around in her human form. Gain control over her seal skin and she is trapped in her human form, unable to return to her seal form. Inversely, you have the Water Hag or Water Horse that can also appear as a young maiden that can lure men and women to the edge of the water and pull them under at which time the creature drops its illusion and reveals its true form. Some tales speak of the Nymph as a Dryad that appears as a women but when startled changes shape into the form of a tree or simply retreats into her tree.

As to revealing themselves that's sort of a multiple choice answer to be honest. Folk lore in many areas still says people encounter "Tree Spirits" or other type Spirits. Some of that lore indicates the encounters are with physical entities. Some of it suggests that there are "Manifestations" with tangible events or happenings though actual entities being present may or may not be present at each incident. In most instances it is up to the person experiencing them to decide for themselves what happened or if anything happened. It's like I was at a lake on a cold winter day near the river running into the lake, no wind and cold as all get out. Standing under a weeping willow when the willow fronds just wrapped about my neck and the air got all warm. Was it a "Tree Spirit"? I have my own opinion and thoughts about what happened that day but that is just it, my own opinion. The young woman's laughter while it happened broke the silence of the area, but it could have been from the house over the dam and below my line of sight.

Others say that revealing occurs during dreamtime. Yet dreamtime could be when you've laid your head down and actually gone to sleep that night or it could be that moment when you've allowed your mind to wander and the daydream fills your head. That point when the images flicker across the 3rd eye region and images just appear in your mind from no where. Like a will-o'wisp that is there one moment then gone the next as you stare off into space. Then there is the image that is caused by the light touch upon your skin or breath upon your neck as a shimmer races down your spine and you see the flicker of movement out of the corner of your eye.

Unfortunately you also have to deal with the self created Nymph. That creature that is created by the mind from a desire to see something with an intent so strong to see something that your eyes and mind create a movement and trick yourself that something was actually there. The idea of synchronicity is an awful bedfellow for this creation for it aides in creating the conditions for it to occur.

Be careful of conclusions and such. It's like Aura is not a technically a Nymph she's a Titanes of the Breeze. She's one of those instances where I was saying the daemon's / nymphs of the protogenoi period. She's related to the Aurai who are all "Nymphs" of the breezes but is not a Nymph but a Titanes. You also have to sort of look at the source your using as well. Is the source from the Hellene period or is it from the Roman period or later.

It can change things quite a bit. For instance it's the difference between Medusa being a beautiful girl who is seduce by Poseidon in the Temple of Athena and punished or being the mortal sister of three Gorgon Sisters. Though in both stories she is beheaded and still turns people to stone due to having a head of snakes.
                  Last edited by monsno_leedra; 27 Nov 2018, 13:36.

Comment

Thanks monso! Really helpful! I wish I had all of your knowledge hahah, mind telling me where you learned all of this ;3?

So what you're saying is modern-day there are both nymphs with physical humanoid forms but there are still some that are humanoid but less humanoid like in the Protogenoi period? or did all of the prior nymphs before the Olympian period gain a more human form?

Are some actual demi-humans and some still not?

Comment

Although this is not in reference to a "nymph" per say, Franz Bardon's work "Initiation to Hermetics" seems to touch on working with, and summoning various elemental spirits such as Sylphs and Undines. You may find it interesting

Comment

Originally posted by Celtic_ View Post
                        Thanks monso! Really helpful! I wish I had all of your knowledge hahah, mind telling me where you learned all of this ;3?
                        Truthfully lots of years of reading all sorts of books and academic reports & studies. Some of the deities I am bound to are associated with Nymph's quite a bit in their mythology.

So what you're saying is modern-day there are both nymphs with physical humanoid forms but there are still some that are humanoid but less humanoid like in the Protogenoi period? or did all of the prior nymphs before the Olympian period gain a more human form?
                        That's sort of hard to answer in that it depends upon your own beliefs as well as cultural beliefs. My beliefs may not be the same as yours regarding how I view and see things. Neither of ours may be the same as another person's or culture's. So for some people inside every elder tree is a dryad who is a beautiful young woman, though perhaps green in color, perhaps not. For others that woman is more like an actual walking tree without any human form what so ever but still a dryad. Yet still for others, a tree is but a tree with a spirit of its own as a member of the tree people or standing ones but not what they'd call a Nymph. Placing them more in the Animism belief system.

For some all three exist at the same time, each equal yet separate from the other. It's like the Hellene's (Greeks) though that some Nymphs were immortal while others were simply long lived yet would eventually die a natural death. That was one of the differences between the Olympian period and the Protogenoi period. The Nymphs during the protogenoi period were the daughters of the protogenoi daemons / titans / titanes so I suppose had more divine heritage or blood. Those of later periods lost part of that divinity or immortality and would eventually die. I suppose you could say the more human they became the more frail they became and death became they future gift.

Are some actual demi-humans and some still not?

Mythology wise I think all existing ones are still demi-human on some level. Out side of mythology do they exist I really can't say beyond my own belief system. I know what I've seen and what I've encountered over the years. But then you cross into what can be proven and what has to be "Believed". Crossing into that zone of keeping an open mind but not to the point of having a mind so open that your brains run out so you can accept anything and everything.

The thing about modern day is some will say, not me let me add that disclaimer, that yes there are mortal nymphs, they call themselves otherkin. So be careful, that is a group all unto itself. though therionthropes might also fall into that category at times as I've heard them claim to be some forms of nymphs due to the merfolk connections.
                        Last edited by monsno_leedra; 29 Nov 2018, 05:41.

Comment

Thanks as always lol yeah needa research more

Comment

Working...
                          X