Zentangles!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zentangles!

Zentangles. Or..doodles with patterns. I've discovered a very relaxing hobby. Something that forces you to take a time out from life. I plan to start a notebook of my zentangles. The great thing is you don't have to be an artist of any sorts. Can you draw circles, lines, squares and own a pen? Then you too can make a zentangle.

Some links..
    What is Zentangle?
    And a cool video of a zendala (a mandala zentangle)
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4Nlz4XMxcs[/youtube]
    and how to start a basic one..
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hscfey5N-pY[/youtube]
    Satan is my spirit animal

Re: Zentangles!

I just wanted to say....I do zentangles too and I love them!

Comment

I saw someone doing these recently and incorporating the designs into a quilt, very cool!
      "Gardens are not made by singing "Oh, how beautiful," and sitting in the shade." - Rudyard Kipling

Mathbatu: A Canaanite Polytheist's Blog
      Sparrow Wings: A Personal Blog

Comment

Reminds me a bit of Hindu henna patterns ...
        I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

I'm always printing out those mandalas and coloring them in. There aren't enough of those in the world. I like the idea of zentangles, but only because I would want to color them after I was done. This actually would save me the trouble of finding them online...

Comment

That looks like so much fun.
            �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
            ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
            Sneak Attack
            Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

I do this all the time - I didn't know it was "official." This is how I get a lot of designs for things I make later - it is, to visual art, what "freewriting" is to writing.
              Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

[quote author=OpenHands link=topic=1473.msg31023#msg31023 date=1296186298]
                I saw someone doing these recently and incorporating the designs into a quilt, very cool!
                [/quote]

Its perfect for a crazy quilt.

...or embroidery
                Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                sigpic

Comment

Thanks for sharing! I really love them...especially the mandala idea. Great for folks who are afraid of their creativity....lol. Easy for everyone!
                  Allow me to lend a machete to your intellectual thicket. ~ Captain Jack Sparrow

sigpic

Comment

[quote author=B. de Corbin link=topic=1473.msg31069#msg31069 date=1296211669]
                    I do this all the time - I didn't know it was "official." This is how I get a lot of designs for things I make later - it is, to visual art, what "freewriting" is to writing.
                    [/quote]

Me too! Never knew it had a name, though we used to sometimes refer to it as doodling years ago. I like it because I can let my hand draw (or mind is it?) draw what it wants. I try not to intentionally interfere with what happens on the paper.
                    Gargoyles watch over me...I can hear them snicker in the dark.

Pull the operating handle (which protrudes from the right side of the receiver) smartly to the rear and release it.

Comment

That looks really cool! I think I will have to try that today. I love the mandala video. I think I'm with Raphaeline on coloring them in later after completing them. Would make for some extra fun.

[quote author=thalassa link=topic=1473.msg31080#msg31080 date=1296219610]
                      Its perfect for a crazy quilt.

...or embroidery
                      [/quote]
                      I don't even want to imagine trying to embroider one of those.....too many lines for me. I'd end up with bloody fingers as I end up poking myself a lot with my needles cause I watch tv as I do embroidery.

Comment

When it's slow between customers, I draw things like this on my order pad. It passes the time.
                        Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

very cool,
                          I had a couple of the children try it today and they loved it!

thanks for sharing
                          What you see depends on what you are looking for.

Comment

Doodle ... Doodle ... Doodle ... Doodle ... Doodle ... Doodle ... Doodle ... Doodle ... Doodle ... Doodle ...
                            I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

I've been doing stuff like this FOREVER. Its so relaxing.

Comment

Working...
                              X