The Dichotomy Test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Dichotomy Test

Found a very interesting test online that just tries to figure out where you stand on different philosophical topics: http://dichotomytests.com/
    Here are my results (which are extremely accurate on how I feel about myself).
    philosophy.jpg

Honestly, nothing surprising. You can post your result and leave it at that, but I'd love to make this an opportunity to have each one of you share your insight on your own result, and comment and discuss other's results!

I'll start with mine:

52.3% Materialism vs 47.7% Spiritualism

This one's pretty easy. While I do not have any regard for the concept of balance or equilibrium, I do have a pretty much equivalent regard for spirituality and the material matters. I strive to be spiritually strong and stable, and to be wealthy as hell too. I do not think they are opposites of each other, and both complete both the mundane and divine sides of an individual.

77.3% Egosim vs 22.7% Altruism

For starters, and it is a question asked on the test, I believe there is no such thing as a 100% altruistic action. I'd even (reluctantly though) go as far as to say that the very existence of altruism just further proves that helping others benefits the individual.

40% Idealism vs 60% Pragmatism

Dreams and Utopias are fine to have around for reference, but in the end the weight of our actions in the real world, their consequences, and the reality of things are what matters. This doesn't exclude attempts at making Ideals into reality, but a pragmatic approach to it is often more effective.

68.6% Hedonism vs 31.4% Asceticism

I don't know what's more frustrating, having missed 69% or having missed 66.6%. Life is pleasure and pain, maximize pleasure, minimize pain. Of course, sometimes to maximize pleasure, you need some unpleasant period (transition, training, preparation), hence the 30% Asceticism.

80% Nihilism vs 20% Moralism.

What are morals anyway? I'd like to point out that I'm more of an optimistic nihilist: nothing matters, and that's GREAT because it means everything that matters to you... Matters to you! Satanic approach oblige, I don't think set morality is of any benefice to the individual.

51.7% Rationalism vs 48.3% Romanticism

Pretty much the same as with Materialism and Spiritualism, there's a time and place for Reason, and there's a time and place for Emotion. All Emotions Matter, but making choices based solely on Emotion won't lead anywhere good. Reason prevails, but when the heart is not there, the soul isn't either, and "making the right choice" won't sound so good.

52.1% Skepticism vs 47.9% Absolutism

I mean, I will refuse most if not all "evidence" concerning aliens (anyone seen the documentary titled Starseed? It's laughable all the way through.). BUT I have seen UFOs myself. Will also take everyone else's UPG with a gigantic grain of salt, but my UPG? Totally happened. No doubt.

There you have it. Yes, this is what I do at 6 in the morning. Yes, I sleep only 4 hours per night. No it's not healthy. Yeah please do participate in this thread.

Check out my blog! The Daily Satanist

Re: The Dichotomy Test

I did the test and then when it came to getting results, it gave me a page 404 error and hitting the back button restarted the test. So we don't know what my scores are because I don't feel like doing the test again, lol. I might try again later, but no promises.
    �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
    ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
    Sneak Attack
    Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

Fun quiz
      Attached Files

Comment

dicotomytest.JPG
        Here's mine.
        �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
        ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
        Sneak Attack
        Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

Here's mine. I thought it was a very interesting test.

Screenshot (2).jpg
          Attached Files
          Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

As ever, I found myself constantly saying "Well, it depends on what you mean by that" but I suppose the result is mildly interesting:
            Spiritual 66%, Altruistic 54, Pragmatic 53, Ascetic 52, Moral 70, Romantic 53, Absolutist 58
            It implies a hostility to materialism, skepticism, and moral relativism, and that's accurate for a natural Platonist like myself.

Comment

Working...
            X