Does anyone here paint?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone here paint?

I'm just trying to teach myself watercolours right now, and I'm really into it! I picked up some supplies a few years ago and never did anything with it, but recently have started playing around with them.

In the last two weeks, I've made four or five paintings, and I just can't get enough. I used to paint with acrylics, but I honestly find this so much easier and cathartic.

Does anyone else practice a painting medium of some kind?

Mostly art.

Re: Does anyone here paint?

I used to do a bit of IRL painting (oils, acrylics) but now I primarily paint digitally...just as cathartic, less messy...

Comment

I didn't do much painting myself. A brush just doesn't feel as good to me as a pencil, pen or even scraping tool (ink on scratch-paper). With that said, of the painting media I've done, I found Watercolor to be the most enjoyable.
      �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
      ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
      Sneak Attack
      Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

I do once in a while. Not that I'm any good at it, but I enjoy it and it relaxes me. I've always painted with acrylic, but I got my hands on some good watercolours recently and I'm actually pretty happy with them. I have a lot of coloured ink and I've been watching some videos about painting with that, so I'm gonna try some time, it looks cool.
        You remind me of the babe
        What babe?
        The babe with the power
        What power?
        The Power of voodoo
        Who do?
        You do!
        Do what?
        Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Comment

I've been known to paint like a maniac, on occasion.

I haven't felt like a maniac lately, but that's subject to change at any moment...
          Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

I used to do psychedelic stuff,with colored felt tips
            MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
            NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
            don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
            http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

I love to paint. I don't have much time for it these days, sadly, but I love it. Mostly tiny watercolors and acrylics on giant canvases.
              Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
              sigpic

Comment

I paint with acrylics occasionally and sometimes I like to do a little bit of digital painting/drawing as well (though I'm not super great at either, honestly). I took an oil painting class when I was younger that I loved a ton and I'd love to get back into oils, but they take so long to dry and are a bit too smelly; I think I would need a dedicated art studio kind of place that my dog could be kept out of for that and with my current work schedule, I don't really like being away from my dog during the free time I do have. My mom keeps pushing me to try the painting outside thing (plein air) but I find landscapes kind of boring honestly and I don't think I'm anywhere near fast enough to do moving animals without a photograph to work from. My sister and my mom and I like going to Paint Night or Painting With A Twist on occasion, lol.

Comment

Yup. I love spray painting. I got really into make moons and nighttime landscapes for awhile. I also really love to do pastels. I consider them a cross between painting and drawing. And I'll do paint-by-numbers just for fun.
                  We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
                  It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
                  Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
                  -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

I am not artistic in the least! The best your going to get out of me is a stick figure. I do however now work for Jack Richeson and Co and we manufacture and distribute art supplies. So while I can't help on the creating part I can help on the product part.
                    "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Comment

I paint, though I haven't done any for years. Mostly acrylics, though I started in oils and can paint watercolour and guache too. But my prefered medium is actually pastels (pencils and chalk/conte) which is a skill somewhere between painting and drawing. I love brushwork, but it's quicker and easier to start a pastel painting than a paint one... so I don't crack the paints out often.

Comment

I don't paint, sadly. I want to but logistics never work out to actually happen. When I was in college I had to build a canvas from scratch and demonstrate the various painting methods. I loved it. I'm hoping to have an "art station" set up in the garage by spring so the kids and I can paint and do other things. I have been told many times that people who struggle with drawing are better at painting, but I've never heard the opposite lol.
                        ~Rudyard Kipling, The Cat Who Walks By Himself

Comment

Whoa, there's way more of us than I thought! I love art. I love that we're (mostly) all doing art.

Originally posted by Torey View Post
                          I used to do a bit of IRL painting (oils, acrylics) but now I primarily paint digitally...just as cathartic, less messy...
                          I've never been able to get into digital art. I really appreciate how it looks, but I just don't like (and can't figure out) how to do it myself. It doesn't have the same feel to me. The mess is half the fun!

Originally posted by iris View Post
                          I do once in a while. Not that I'm any good at it, but I enjoy it and it relaxes me. I've always painted with acrylic, but I got my hands on some good watercolours recently and I'm actually pretty happy with them. I have a lot of coloured ink and I've been watching some videos about painting with that, so I'm gonna try some time, it looks cool.
                          What kind of coloured ink? I really want to eventually move into being proficient with ink drawing, accented by watercolour. I just love that style of art. So far, I think I'm mediocre at both. I've asked for copic markers for Christmas, but I also want to try (and am intimidated by) vials of ink.

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                          I love to paint. I don't have much time for it these days, sadly, but I love it. Mostly tiny watercolors and acrylics on giant canvases.
                          Tiny watercolours are what I've been practicing with. I have a 9x12 book of watercolour paper, but I've been cutting it into fours. It saves so much paper, and I'm not as intimidated by all the white space. I actually cut them all into Christmas card size, and mailed a painting home to each friend/family that I gave a card to.

Originally posted by SleepingCompass View Post
                          I paint with acrylics occasionally and sometimes I like to do a little bit of digital painting/drawing as well (though I'm not super great at either, honestly). I took an oil painting class when I was younger that I loved a ton and I'd love to get back into oils, but they take so long to dry and are a bit too smelly; I think I would need a dedicated art studio kind of place that my dog could be kept out of for that and with my current work schedule, I don't really like being away from my dog during the free time I do have. My mom keeps pushing me to try the painting outside thing (plein air) but I find landscapes kind of boring honestly and I don't think I'm anywhere near fast enough to do moving animals without a photograph to work from. My sister and my mom and I like going to Paint Night or Painting With A Twist on occasion, lol.
                          A friend of mine and I do painting nights sometimes. There's an artist in town who hosts this event called "Art on the Van Gogh" for busy adults who want to learn to paint. It's only a few times a season, and I'm not always home for it, but she chooses a classic style to teach us (Picasso was the last time I did it) and it's usually just cheap acrylics. I think she spends all the money from the class on the free wine we get, lol.

I really want to try oils at some point, but it's such a barrier to get into when you don't have any of the supplies. I used to have canvases and an easel and whatnot for acrylics, but I sold it all a few years ago when money was tight. So I'd be starting from scratch. All I kept were my brushes, and tbh, they're all beginner acrylic brushes anyhow.

Originally posted by Shahaku View Post
                          Yup. I love spray painting. I got really into make moons and nighttime landscapes for awhile. I also really love to do pastels. I consider them a cross between painting and drawing. And I'll do paint-by-numbers just for fun.
                          I used to watch guys in Vancouver do this on the streets, and I thought it was the neatest thing.

...we should do a PF art exchange. It's been ages since we've done something like that.

Mostly art.

Comment

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
                            Whoa, there's way more of us than I thought! I love art. I love that we're (mostly) all doing art.

I've never been able to get into digital art. I really appreciate how it looks, but I just don't like (and can't figure out) how to do it myself. It doesn't have the same feel to me. The mess is half the fun!

What kind of coloured ink? I really want to eventually move into being proficient with ink drawing, accented by watercolour. I just love that style of art. So far, I think I'm mediocre at both. I've asked for copic markers for Christmas, but I also want to try (and am intimidated by) vials of ink.

Tiny watercolours are what I've been practicing with. I have a 9x12 book of watercolour paper, but I've been cutting it into fours. It saves so much paper, and I'm not as intimidated by all the white space. I actually cut them all into Christmas card size, and mailed a painting home to each friend/family that I gave a card to.

A friend of mine and I do painting nights sometimes. There's an artist in town who hosts this event called "Art on the Van Gogh" for busy adults who want to learn to paint. It's only a few times a season, and I'm not always home for it, but she chooses a classic style to teach us (Picasso was the last time I did it) and it's usually just cheap acrylics. I think she spends all the money from the class on the free wine we get, lol.

I really want to try oils at some point, but it's such a barrier to get into when you don't have any of the supplies. I used to have canvases and an easel and whatnot for acrylics, but I sold it all a few years ago when money was tight. So I'd be starting from scratch. All I kept were my brushes, and tbh, they're all beginner acrylic brushes anyhow.

I used to watch guys in Vancouver do this on the streets, and I thought it was the neatest thing.

...we should do a PF art exchange. It's been ages since we've done something like that.

Yeah. I miss the card exchange. Though I always seemed to have terrible luck with that. An art exchange would be sooo cool.
                            We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
                            It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
                            Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
                            -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

Yeah I painted my walls in my room. I don't seem to give a crap about who will own the house next. I just lay it on the walls the way I see it. Sometimes I do Egyptian hieroglyphics, other times rants or messages. Alien talk idk. I just put all my emotion in it so i can live a bit longer i guess lol.

Comment

Working...
                              X