Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone here paint?

Jun 2013
    Religion
    Northern Tradition Shaminist Demonolator. Or something along those lines...

Re: Does anyone here paint?

I paint, though I haven't done any for years. Mostly acrylics, though I started in oils and can paint watercolour and guache too. But my prefered medium is actually pastels (pencils and chalk/conte) which is a skill somewhere between painting and drawing. I love brushwork, but it's quicker and easier to start a pastel painting than a paint one... so I don't crack the paints out often.

Aug 2015
    Religion
    Ecletic pagan.
    Phrase
    This too shall pass.

I don't paint, sadly. I want to but logistics never work out to actually happen. When I was in college I had to build a canvas from scratch and demonstrate the various painting methods. I loved it. I'm hoping to have an "art station" set up in the garage by spring so the kids and I can paint and do other things. I have been told many times that people who struggle with drawing are better at painting, but I've never heard the opposite lol.
    “I am Cat and I walk alone and all ways are the same to me.” ~Rudyard Kipling, The Cat Who Walks By Himself

Mar 2009
    Religion
    Finding sanctity.
    Phrase
    Mistress of the Ban

Whoa, there's way more of us than I thought! I love art. I love that we're (mostly) all doing art.

Quote Originally Posted by Torey View Post
    I used to do a bit of IRL painting (oils, acrylics) but now I primarily paint digitally...just as cathartic, less messy...
    I've never been able to get into digital art. I really appreciate how it looks, but I just don't like (and can't figure out) how to do it myself. It doesn't have the same feel to me. The mess is half the fun!

Quote Originally Posted by iris View Post
    I do once in a while. Not that I'm any good at it, but I enjoy it and it relaxes me. I've always painted with acrylic, but I got my hands on some good watercolours recently and I'm actually pretty happy with them. I have a lot of coloured ink and I've been watching some videos about painting with that, so I'm gonna try some time, it looks cool.
    What kind of coloured ink? I really want to eventually move into being proficient with ink drawing, accented by watercolour. I just love that style of art. So far, I think I'm mediocre at both. I've asked for copic markers for Christmas, but I also want to try (and am intimidated by) vials of ink.

Quote Originally Posted by thalassa View Post
    I love to paint. I don't have much time for it these days, sadly, but I love it. Mostly tiny watercolors and acrylics on giant canvases.
    Tiny watercolours are what I've been practicing with. I have a 9x12 book of watercolour paper, but I've been cutting it into fours. It saves so much paper, and I'm not as intimidated by all the white space. I actually cut them all into Christmas card size, and mailed a painting home to each friend/family that I gave a card to.

Quote Originally Posted by SleepingCompass View Post
    I paint with acrylics occasionally and sometimes I like to do a little bit of digital painting/drawing as well (though I'm not super great at either, honestly). I took an oil painting class when I was younger that I loved a ton and I'd love to get back into oils, but they take so long to dry and are a bit too smelly; I think I would need a dedicated art studio kind of place that my dog could be kept out of for that and with my current work schedule, I don't really like being away from my dog during the free time I do have. My mom keeps pushing me to try the painting outside thing (plein air) but I find landscapes kind of boring honestly and I don't think I'm anywhere near fast enough to do moving animals without a photograph to work from. My sister and my mom and I like going to Paint Night or Painting With A Twist on occasion, lol.
    A friend of mine and I do painting nights sometimes. There's an artist in town who hosts this event called "Art on the Van Gogh" for busy adults who want to learn to paint. It's only a few times a season, and I'm not always home for it, but she chooses a classic style to teach us (Picasso was the last time I did it) and it's usually just cheap acrylics. I think she spends all the money from the class on the free wine we get, lol.

I really want to try oils at some point, but it's such a barrier to get into when you don't have any of the supplies. I used to have canvases and an easel and whatnot for acrylics, but I sold it all a few years ago when money was tight. So I'd be starting from scratch. All I kept were my brushes, and tbh, they're all beginner acrylic brushes anyhow.

Quote Originally Posted by Shahaku View Post
    Yup. I love spray painting. I got really into make moons and nighttime landscapes for awhile. I also really love to do pastels. I consider them a cross between painting and drawing. And I'll do paint-by-numbers just for fun.
    I used to watch guys in Vancouver do this on the streets, and I thought it was the neatest thing.

...we should do a PF art exchange. It's been ages since we've done something like that.
    “The world is big and I want to have a good look at it before it gets dark.” – John Muir

Mostly art.

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Eclectic Witch
    Phrase
    Move forward with purpose. -Sherillyn Kenyon

Quote Originally Posted by volcaniclastic View Post
    Whoa, there's way more of us than I thought! I love art. I love that we're (mostly) all doing art.

I've never been able to get into digital art. I really appreciate how it looks, but I just don't like (and can't figure out) how to do it myself. It doesn't have the same feel to me. The mess is half the fun!

What kind of coloured ink? I really want to eventually move into being proficient with ink drawing, accented by watercolour. I just love that style of art. So far, I think I'm mediocre at both. I've asked for copic markers for Christmas, but I also want to try (and am intimidated by) vials of ink.

Tiny watercolours are what I've been practicing with. I have a 9x12 book of watercolour paper, but I've been cutting it into fours. It saves so much paper, and I'm not as intimidated by all the white space. I actually cut them all into Christmas card size, and mailed a painting home to each friend/family that I gave a card to.

A friend of mine and I do painting nights sometimes. There's an artist in town who hosts this event called "Art on the Van Gogh" for busy adults who want to learn to paint. It's only a few times a season, and I'm not always home for it, but she chooses a classic style to teach us (Picasso was the last time I did it) and it's usually just cheap acrylics. I think she spends all the money from the class on the free wine we get, lol.

I really want to try oils at some point, but it's such a barrier to get into when you don't have any of the supplies. I used to have canvases and an easel and whatnot for acrylics, but I sold it all a few years ago when money was tight. So I'd be starting from scratch. All I kept were my brushes, and tbh, they're all beginner acrylic brushes anyhow.

I used to watch guys in Vancouver do this on the streets, and I thought it was the neatest thing.

...we should do a PF art exchange. It's been ages since we've done something like that.

Yeah. I miss the card exchange. Though I always seemed to have terrible luck with that. An art exchange would be sooo cool.
    We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
    It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
    Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
    -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

pragon

Yeah I painted my walls in my room. I don't seem to give a crap about who will own the house next. I just lay it on the walls the way I see it. Sometimes I do Egyptian hieroglyphics, other times rants or messages. Alien talk idk. I just put all my emotion in it so i can live a bit longer i guess lol.

Mar 2009
    Religion
    Finding sanctity.
    Phrase
    Mistress of the Ban

Quote Originally Posted by pragon View Post
    Yeah I painted my walls in my room. I don't seem to give a crap about who will own the house next. I just lay it on the walls the way I see it. Sometimes I do Egyptian hieroglyphics, other times rants or messages. Alien talk idk. I just put all my emotion in it so i can live a bit longer i guess lol.
    You seem like an angry and inconsiderate human being. Have you considered journaling your thoughts somewhere more private?
    “The world is big and I want to have a good look at it before it gets dark.” – John Muir

Mostly art.

Oct 2010
    Religion
    stregheria

thanks for that vol.
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

http://www.paganforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=186&dateline=1330020104

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Eclectic Witch
    Phrase

Something about art really lets us process the more primal feelings that we have, so art can be a very good outlet for emotions that you can't otherwise express appropriately. This forum is not.

On a happier note. Vol, have you ever done flow paint? It's fun and simple and rather hypnotic. And you can do it cheaply with acrylic paints and a little water (there are fancy flow additives, but they aren't necessary, especially if you're just playing around). I've done a few of these, and sometimes use them to create a somewhat psychedelic background for a painting.

ETA: that picture is a lot bigger than I thought it would be. Also, it's not one of mine, just something I pulled from google as an example.
    Last edited by Shahaku; 03 Jan 2019 at 09:20.
    We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
    It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
    Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.

pragon

Angry, yes. I wouldn't be so inconsiderate, if I was allowed to live the way I want. It seems nearly impossible in this chaotic world. What's the point of journaling in private if no one hears it or sees it? Not saying anyone has to agree. I'm just letting it out. Sorry if you find it offensive.

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Eclectic Witch
    Phrase

Angry, yes. I wouldn't be so inconsiderate, if I was allowed to live the way I want. It seems nearly impossible in this chaotic world. What's the point of journaling in private if no one hears it or sees it? Not saying anyone has to agree. I'm just letting it out. Sorry if you find it offensive.
    The problem is that you're spewing all of this negativity into our forum. It's not about being offended, but about wanting this to be a positive place. Now if you came in actually willing to take advice and make changes that would be different. But, you've already started a good half dozen or more threads full of negative topics. You don't need to bring that into what was an otherwise happy, easy-going thread.