Anyone into Steampunk?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone into Steampunk?

I always thought it was pretty cool. I may not dress up as one, but I plan on decorating my room in the style. My room is very plain. It needs something new, and I figure adding a Steampunk style to it would make things more interesting. I could use some help. What do you think I should get for decorating my room? I have no idea where to shop or look, in regards to this. Anyone know any good places to look, besides shopping online?

Re: Anyone into Steampunk?

Mostly, DIY.

Antiques and thrift stores are good places to start. After that, it's just the hobby shop and hardware shop for gears and paints and stains and things. The aesthetic is Victorian to early Edwardian, plus sci-fi embellishments.

Think something like an embellished and antiqued gold or silver frame (like you'd find around a fancy painting at a museum) to frame your flat screen TV or computer screen, or an old sewing machine turned into a computer (complete with an old camera to house the webcam). Edison bulbs make great lightbulbs, and there's quite a bit of early industrial decor out there that is easily steampunked. Things like old steamer trunks make for both good storage and a nice bench if it's big enough and sturdy enough. Take a look at 1920's Art Nouveau and the 1880s Aesthetic movements, for the best examples of what to start with as "the look" for things like trims or textures. Another easy place to start is just in painting the room--you can do faux copper, brass, or tin ceiling tiles, fancier molding and baseboards, etc., and painting that mimics the wallpaper designs or colors of the time. Find, make, or repurpose other stuff into a curio cabinet, frame some botanical or natural history drawings. Look around your room, and if you have anything out that is plastic, plastic, or plastic, commit to finding replacements in non-synthesized oil byproducts--wood, glass jars, ceramics, baskets, etc.
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Comment

Steampunk is uber-cool, but I'm holding out for acidpunk - hippy futurism; Jerimiah Cornilious, Hawkwind, Deep Fix, and all that.
      Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

playing dragon quest on ps4,very cool little rpg,nice graphics

- - - Updated - - -

also playing elder scrolls online and setting up a webcam.
        MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
        NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
        don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
        http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

I've seen pictures of steampunk art and they're very beautiful, but I'm not too much into it.
          Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

skype and web cam running,not sure how to connect scype name is live:anunitu1,so shell weenguage,i am sorry dave i can't do that HAL.
            MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
            NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
            don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
            http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Working...
            X