Does Therapy Really Help People?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does Therapy Really Help People?

To me therapy really help me a lot. So many years ago I used to be angry but I'm not anymore. So does therapy really helps people? I love to hear your input on it.

Re: Does Therapy Really Help People?

If the diagnosis is correct and the therapist is competent then yes, it can be beneficial. I've seen what happens when competent therapists get a chance to work and it was pretty impressive. I've also seen the results when less than competent therapists got to work and the results were far less impressive.
    life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
      To me therapy really help me a lot. So many years ago I used to be angry but I'm not anymore. So does therapy really helps people? I love to hear your input on it.
      In general, if a person is committed to the effort, I feel like therapy is useful. There are some times it doesn't work out though.

For instance, I had an older, female therapist at one point in time, that when I brought up that I thought I might be asexual, she shot it down as my trauma speaking. I told her, after some thought, that regardless of whether it came about due to trauma or not, it was a part of who I am now, and I'm ok with that. She couldn't accept that, I believe because of personal prejudice, and kept pushing at buttons until I eventually stopped going, because she was becoming more annoying than helpful. I could have used help with other aspects of dealing with said trauma, and with dealing with my narcissistic mother, but from that day forward all she cared about was convincing me that I wasn't asexual.

On the other hand, I've had a few other therapists for crisis moments that were wonderful. My girlfriend had a marriage counselor who was very open and accepting when she was going through a divorce and considering a relationship with us. She also had a very good therapist who was open minded and accepting while she was going through depression in middle school.
      We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
      It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
      Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
      -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

I have dealt with therapists also,and at times they think you are broke because you ae different,that puts me off very quickly,if you know my history,you know i am and was very different,and was in the mental health system for m,Major depression,and some therapists tended to not really deal with my depression but tended to be caught up with my nature,not my state of depression,and tried to tell me I was broken,when all I was was depressed.
        MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
        NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
        don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
        http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

I went to a therapist years ago. She was obviously trying to categorize me, which was ineffective since my emotional foundation is fundamentally different than most people's and therefore so are my reactions. But, she really was helpful in a lot of ways. My situation resolved itself and, as I was about to stop going, she retired anyway, so it all ended well.

There are good ones and not so good ones, just like in any other profession. The bad part is that if you're seeking a therapist, you may not be in a frame of mind to clearly make those distinctions, so it's harder to tell what you're getting into.
          sigpic
          Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

When I was doing Sub Duty we had to go see a therapist as part of our Sub Screening. That was an interesting session for sure. I think most of the submariners I knew probably screwed with the therapist. Never knew if we were deranged or not to be honest. Heard tales of a few boats that had a couple of therapist that rode them to "Check" out conditions and evaluate things and the "Docs" came back and said the whole crews should be certified.

To be honest I don't know if therapy helps because many times I think the Therapist gets set in their ways and methods. I recall being told I was depressed because I though of death and dying a lot yet the therapist didn't want to hear that I was always thinking about genealogy. So death and life are something I'm always running over in my head as I ponder generations, how's buried where, where I need to look, etc. Mortality is a subject I think about. Yet in many of their minds that equates to depression.

So it's difficult to say if it is effective or not. I think it depends upon how it is approached and how the therapist works.
            I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

I personally feel that the effectiveness of therapy is primarily dependent upon the professional delivering it.

I have had the same therapeutic techniques explored with me by different professionals with different results. A therapist that elicits a defensive response from a client is less likely to achieve the necessary relationship dynamic to facilitate a productive session IMHO.

Comment

my therapist told me on our first session,if i felt it was not working,to seek out another one,because if not working it was a waste of both our time. she was very good like that.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

A big part of therapy is your connection with the therapist. If you do not like that therapist, regardless of the technique being employed, it won't be nearly as effective as any other technique by another therapist that you do like. The "therapeutic relationship" is a big part of the healing process. Of course, that also means stuff like how that therapist responds to you, since that response might work for someone else with the same issue, but not you. Torey, you point out a very important part of therapy and I absolutely agree with you. I've had a similar experience. Think about it this way, if you don't like a therapist, are you going to open up and work on yourself the way you need to? Why would you? You are going to be much more resistant than you would be if you liked the therapist.

Comment

Therapy absolutely has helped me.

As others have said, it definitely depends on the therapist. If they are not good at their job, or not experienced with a particular aspect of your problems, then they will either do nothing for you, or add to your stress/issues.

If you get a good one, though, it can lead to much healthier coping skills, a new perspective, and a way to measure your progress. Also, I do truly believe that sometimes people are not in the right mindset to get therapy, and that sometimes they are.
                    ~Rudyard Kipling, The Cat Who Walks By Himself

Comment

I went through a 6 month program one time that taught cognitive behavioral therapy. It taught me coping skills that may have saved my life the 2nd time I became manic and I kept having thoughts about slamming my head against concrete for no reason other than I had to much sugar and caffiene it was traumatic. But the coping skills are meditation, breathing, and grounding. Heres an article about it but its not from the program I took.

Cognitive behavioral therapy ( CBT ) is a psycho-social intervention [1] [2] that aims to improve mental health . [3] CBT focuses on challenging and changing unhelpful cognitive distortions (e.g. thoughts, beliefs, and attitudes) and behaviors, improving emotional regulation , [2] [4] and the development of personal coping strategies that target solving current problems. Originally, it was designed to treat depression , but its use has been expanded to include treatment of a number of mental health conditions, including anxiety.
                      whatcha listening to thread is my playlist for today music i mean

Comment

it worked on me with som e meds,but personal interaction with others in mental health system was better,helping some cope with stuff was the best feeling like my stuff was minor)severe depressoion) to say scitcho effective stuff,now that is a hard thing for sure,or what was known as dual diagnose addiction and a mental health issue together,is another beast entirely.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Just curious but is this discussion limited to Mental Health therapy? Because if it is, I'd like to rename the title. If not, I have some things to add about other forms of therapies.
                          �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
                          ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
                          Sneak Attack
                          Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
                            it worked on me with som e meds,but personal interaction with others in mental health system was better,helping some cope with stuff was the best feeling like my stuff was minor)severe depressoion) to say scitcho effective stuff,now that is a hard thing for sure,or what was known as dual diagnose addiction and a mental health issue together,is another beast entirely.
                            Thats what I did Dual Diagnosis for addiction and PTSD it was called the Phoenix Program
                            whatcha listening to thread is my playlist for today music i mean

Comment

i spent about 1 1/2 year in the mental health system in California fighting major depressive issues,but no addictions at all. i was lucky i came close with crystal and acid and drinking,the drinking was the coldest i came to addiction. but never got dt's

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Juniper View Post
                              Just curious but is this discussion limited to Mental Health therapy? Because if it is, I'd like to rename the title. If not, I have some things to add about other forms of therapies.
                              like touch therapy juni? that is good f you become isolated from human interaction,i get skin hunger bad at times

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Working...
                              X