Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Does Therapy Really Help People?

Originally posted by Juniper View Post
    Just curious but is this discussion limited to Mental Health therapy? Because if it is, I'd like to rename the title. If not, I have some things to add about other forms of therapies.
    No not really. This covers all types of therapy.
    Last edited by Bartmanhomer; 11 Feb 2019, 15:26.

Comment

Originally posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
      No not really. This covers all types of therapy.
      Cool. Because as some of you may know, I am a Massage Therapist (among a few other titles, but those are irrelevant to this conversation) and I see both sides of the spectrum. Some of my patients (I work in a clinic, so they are patients, not clients) are really into massage therapy as a healing tool to get better, while others simply see it as a pampering experience. There's nothing inherently wrong with seeing it as the latter, but when you incorporate MT into a healing regiment, it can be absolutely wonderful and make you feel so much better overall.

There's many aspects to MT that can be beneficial to most people. I say most, because there are certain medical conditions that would prevent those afflicted from benefiting and there are people who simply do not like to be touched and it would probably cause more issues than alleviate existing problems.

Reduced stress and improved blood circulation are on the top of the benefits list. Depending on the modality of the massage - and there are MANY - additional benefits are improved range of motion, reduced aches and pains due to knots. trigger points, injuries, posture, lack of activity, and last but not least improved mental health.

I'm not going to get all salesey about it and my two cents on whether therapy helps people are based objectively on my observations. Yes. Therapy absolute can help. That said, a lot of it does depend on the person receiving the therapy though. If they don't want it and feel forced into it... it probably won't be as useful.
      �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
      ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
      Sneak Attack
      Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

Cool. Because as some of you may know, I am a Massage Therapist (among a few other titles, but those are irrelevant to this conversation) and I see both sides of the spectrum. Some of my patients (I work in a clinic, so they are patients, not clients) are really into massage therapy as a healing tool to get better, while others simply see it as a pampering experience. There's nothing inherently wrong with seeing it as the latter, but when you incorporate MT into a healing regiment, it can be absolutely wonderful and make you feel so much better overall.

There are many aspects to MT that can be beneficial to most people. I say most because there are certain medical conditions that would prevent those afflicted from benefiting and there are people who simply do not like to be touched and it would probably cause more issues than alleviate existing problems.

Reduced stress and improved blood circulation are on the top of the benefits list. Depending on the modality of the message - and there are MANY - additional benefits are improved range of motion, reduced aches and pains due to knots. trigger points, injuries, posture, lack of activity, and last but not least improved mental health.

I'm not going to get all sales about it and my two cents on whether therapy helps people are based objectively on my observations. Yes. Therapy absolute can help. That said, a lot of it does depend on the person receiving the therapy though. If they don't want it and feel forced into it... it probably won't be as useful.
        I didn't know you were a massage therapist.

Comment

Originally posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
          I didn't know you were a massage therapist.
          It's one of my jobs. I'm also an electrician.
          �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
          Sneak Attack

Comment

Wow. How many jobs do you have, really?

Comment

i remember you posting about changing your job a while back and how massagw was your passion
              MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
              NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
              don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
              http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Wow. How many jobs do you have, really?

Comment

she was an alarm tech i think i remember
                  MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                  NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                  don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                  http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

There's many aspects to MT that can be beneficial to most people. I say most, because there are certain medical conditions that would prevent those afflicted from benefiting and there are people who simply do not like to be touched and it would probably cause more issues than alleviate existing problems.

Reduced stress and improved blood circulation are on the top of the benefits list. Depending on the modality of the massage - and there are MANY - additional benefits are improved range of motion, reduced aches and pains due to knots. trigger points, injuries, posture, lack of activity, and last but not least improved mental health.

I'm not going to get all salesey about it and my two cents on whether therapy helps people are based objectively on my observations. Yes. Therapy absolute can help. That said, a lot of it does depend on the person receiving the therapy though. If they don't want it and feel forced into it... it probably won't be as useful.
                    I wish I could get lucky enough to be forced into massage therapy! I've been forced into alot of therapies but never MT! lol
                    whatcha listening to thread is my playlist for today music i mean

Comment

Originally posted by Austin.Apollo View Post
                      I wish I could get lucky enough to be forced into massage therapy! I've been forced into alot of therapies but never MT! lol
                      Depending on your health insurance plan, it may be included and all you'd need to pay is the co-pay. There are also lots of places that do discounted massages if you sign up for a plan.

I mostly work on folks who are recovering from auto-accidents. I'm actually looking to start my own business in the near future.
                      Sneak Attack

Comment

Working...
                      X