Humans should stop producing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Humans should stop producing

I'm not kidding. Why do people keep having children? The world is already populated as it is. The world is messed up with control/government. Why would anyone want to bring a kid in this world who has to get registered by the government as if they are owned... sure get them a social security number, name, and so forth. Let's become synthetic beings controlled by media and follow stupid society. Yep.... I would never want to bring my own child into a world to be forced into this bullshit.

Re: Humans should stop producing

Originally posted by pragon View Post
    I'm not kidding. Why do people keep having children? The world is already populated as it is. The world is messed up with control/government. Why would anyone want to bring a kid in this world who has to get registered by the government as if they are owned... sure get them a social security number, name, and so forth. Let's become synthetic beings controlled by media and follow stupid society. Yep.... I would never want to bring my own child into a world to be forced into this bullshit.
    My choice to have kids is not your concern.

Comment

great ula,kids are great
      MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
      NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
      don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
      http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by pragon View Post
        Then don't have kids. Remove your genetic combination from the pool.
        Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

We chose to have a child because of a deep seated need to be parents. We chose to only have one child at the time (now two, but with three adults in the household) because we wanted to contribute to reducing the population of Earth. I honestly don't feel like our live are all the bad. We don't deal with hate crimes on a daily basis. We have food, water, and a roof over our head. That social security number also comes with quite a few benefits, at least for now. I don't feel owned, partially because I've done a lot of reading on modern day slavery and suppression and don't feel like I'm part of either category. Generally speaking, I'm allowed to express myself however I want, assuming that I don't do something that would harm someone else.

In general, the US population would be decreasing, if it weren't for immigration. Most people are choosing to have smaller families. And that effects our population in general.
          We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
          It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
          Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
          -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

First I'd like you to take a look at those Asian countries that restrict the number of children you are allowed to have. While yes the world is populated those countries are very quickly learning as majority of them age that there is not enough people to take care of them.

Second as a parent, I had my child with the intent to make the world a better place. To raise him to care and nurture the planet, to assist in saving and taking care of mother earth. My goal as a parent is to raise a good human being who contributes to society.

On another note we've pretty much kept records of marriages, children, property, animals and the like for 1,000's of years. This isn't new.

You made two statements above on why anyone wanted children: "the world is populated enough" and "the government is trying to own/control them" so my question is what's really your issue here? You think the world is overpopulated or the government.

I will also say I've got serious issue with anyone who tries to control my uterus and family planning. That's my body and my choice which in itself is a whole nother topic.
            "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Comment

Population growth will slow / reverse without any crusade against overpopulation. Increase the standard of living, increase opportunities for women and increase access to birth control. Population growth will slow as a side effect. Determining an economic model that's sustainable if population growth falls below replacement rates might be a good idea though. Granted, Japan seems to be volunteering for the job of figuring that out for us.
              life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

In all honesty. I don't think the word will ever stop populating.

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
                  Population growth will slow / reverse without any crusade against overpopulation. Increase the standard of living, increase opportunities for women and increase access to birth control. Population growth will slow as a side effect. Determining an economic model that's sustainable if population growth falls below replacement rates might be a good idea though. Granted, Japan seems to be volunteering for the job of figuring that out for us.
                  I completely agree with you on this. Better living conditions, wages, opportunities, all the stated above does slow population growth.

Japan may want to figure a little faster before they get into serious trouble.

Also Bart the world doesn't NEED to stop populating.
                  "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Comment

Originally posted by kalynraye View Post
                    I completely agree with you on this. Better living conditions, wages, opportunities, all the stated above does slow population growth.

Japan may want to figure a little faster before they get into serious trouble.

Also Bart the world doesn't NEED to stop populating.
                    Exactly

Comment

I believe this is called the voluntary extinction movement, where there is a group that believes humanity should move toward extinction by cessation of reproduction. Generally the reasoning is that humans have caused great environmental damage and there is a moral imperative to put ourselves down, the most humane way being to stop reproducing. There's some amount of validity to that line of reasoning but, your statement is inane and shows no depth of consideration.

Honestly, I agree there should be more thought put into the care of children. Perhaps it is my perspective as a queer person who is much less likely to accidentally have children, but I have seen many cases where parents have just not been good parents. This isn't even to touch on the many children in the foster system or who otherwise lack formal permanent care. I don't believe that it's appropriate for the only qualification for parents to be the ability to have sex and produce biogenetic children. I've heard suggestion of mandatory parenting classes, tax penalizations or benefits for children or taking classes after having children, up to parenting licenses. This obviously presents ethical problems depending on how far one is willing to go and reproductive rights are not easily regulated in a practical or moral manner. I don't intend to be a parent, I don't think I would be good at it and other factors in my life make children less desirable for me. However, there are people who desperately do want to be parents and there are many who are and would be wonderful caretakers.

I don't really know the answers but, the root of my dilemma is not throwing anger into the void over culture or the perceived harm of the government, it is actual concern for the quality of parenting. It is a desire to see future citizens be good and informed people and ensure an education and responsible populace capable of bringing that about. The argument which OP has presented is not an argument at all, nor does it appear to be informed, and this trend of random sweeping statements based on nothing productive will neither change opinion or facilitate debate in good conscious. It is my opinion that it is bad form to present a rant post as a debate subject.

Let's address your "points" here. The world is populated enough: While this is, strictly speaking, an opinion the earth can support a far greater population with estimates of carrying capacity sitting around 10 billion, though past research has suggested as high as 13 billion provided the proper infrastructure and allocation of resources. Global population is rising, but only in select regions, principally areas of Asia and Africa. In most developed countries, population is sustained, declining, or growing at increasingly slow rates. Famously, Japan's population is plummeting but, similar trends can be seen across Europe and even in the US when examining select years.

Population change is essentially a function of (births - deaths) + (in-migration - out-migration) which accounts for fertility, mortality, and migration. In most developed countries birth rate remains below the replacement level, meaning the number of deaths (generally from the elderly but also accidents, which is why replacement is always a positive integer) is exceeding the amount of births causing population decline. This is then adjusted for immigration, population increases if the net product of these numbers is positive and above the replacement level and decreases if it is not.

So why the disparity between developed and undeveloped countries? It's a factor of relative wealth and technology. In developed countries there's greater access to birth control, more incentives to put off having children until later, economic and social barriers, as well as greater agency and mobility for women. In effect, women who are allowed greater reproductive control and resources have fewer children on average.

Medicine is also much better in developed countries. Those of us in such places generally do not die of the same things people in less developed nations. For example, some principal causes of death in developed nations are cancer and cardiovascular disease- that is to say chronic degenerative disorders. Compare this to less developed countries where the top causes of death are generally infectious diseases. This is also a factor for infant mortality and there is an important gender breakdown, since if for some reason women have higher death rates there's an according change in birth rate. I had a graph here but, I'm going over the character limit with it so, let's just go on without it. We can surmise that birth and death rates both decrease with industrialization because, you know, people have medicine and things are cleaner. There's also a greater nutritional difference between these societies and quite simply people are having children for very different reasons. There's economic incentive toward children in low income countries compared to the cost of a child in a high income country. These points over the past paragraphs are the science behind the demographic transition theory, that population rises, then falls, before stabilizing, in accordance with levels of industrial development.

The issue is not raw population growth but industrialization and exploitation. We can probably feed the entire world with current agricultural technology and it's only expected to improve . The issue is that much of this food goes to waste. Low income countries have had a history of economic and material exploitation which has destabilized and slowed their growth. We have little reason to think their populations will not also eventually decline or stabilize and it may in fact be beneficial to assist them through economic and technological agreements. Sectionalism between nations is perhaps the largest barrier toward good for the entirety of earth and humanity. There's enough stuff in general, people just need to allocate it properly and stop hoarding, on a social and individual level.

OP's next point is that regulation, organization, and regulation is harmful, which is ridiculous. Surly, an overabundance of government control could limit liberty. However, the entire point of law is to limit freedom for the common good. We could discuss why social security is good , or how robust social programs make people and society better , but I'm a bit distracted over how names are harmful here. Obviously, the impact of the media is important and often can be harmful, so let's just remove all forms of culture since they condition behavior. To proclaim society as the source of all ills is simplistic. Humans require society, we are social beings, civilization is our greatest achievement and has facilitated advancement in all axis of human creation. Of course society is the source of social problems, it's the source of large scale social-ness.

I think I've made my point clear on everything else OP has said. I believe these ill founded statements fueled by misplaced aggression are a prime source of continual social unrest. It's sweeping and pointing the figure in the wrong way. It makes things worse to be angry without anything to back it up, to shout into the void some misanthropic quip does nothing for good faith discussion.
                      Circe

Comment

I was going to mention that Crow,but forgot.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Look some people want to have kids and some don't. It's called choices.

Comment

My personal opinion is we have to fight tooth and nail for the continued survival of our species.(At least thats my opinion at the moment. My opinions have been known to change frequently.) But on the other hand using artificial intelligence and cgi people in the future will be able to custom tailor personal relationships to their liking and have that perfect significant other but of course they wont be able to reproduce they would have to adopt or something. I'm assuming this is it how it will start and eventually 3d holograms and if you've got the money robots way in the future.
                            whatcha listening to thread is my playlist for today music i mean

Comment

i think not extinction,but more evolution into a greater species

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Working...
                              X