Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Does anyone believe in Evolution?

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
    not at all bart,we all have rights to believe as we will.
    This is why I love this forum so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
      This is my opinion so don't get mad at me when I say this. I find evolution interesting. I really do. Even though I'm a Christian I choose to believe in God. But that just my opinion and as everyone say it just a theory. So again don't get mad at me for expressing my opinion.
      Back when I was Christian I used to say that evolution and all the scientific evidence was God "showing his work" like I did in a math problem. =P You can be Christian and pro-science, just saying.

I believe in evolution completely. If someone doesn't believe in it, they are willfully ignorant, and probably scared of being wrong.
      ~Rudyard Kipling, The Cat Who Walks By Himself

Comment

The Freemasons ate the sole energy.

Comment

Originally posted by faye_cat View Post
          Back when I was Christian I used to say that evolution and all the scientific evidence was God "showing his work" like I did in a math problem. =P You can be Christian and pro-science, just saying.

I believe in evolution completely. If someone doesn't believe in it, they are willfully ignorant, and probably scared of being wrong.
          I believe in science all the way. I've never said that evolution is bullcrap. Not at all. But when it comes for science vs. religion, it get so conflicting.
          Last edited by Bartmanhomer; 04 Jan 2019, 17:16.

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
            mork is that you??
            Nanu nanu!! LOL
            sigpic
            Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

This is my opinion so don't get mad at me when I say this. I find evolution interesting. I really do. Even though I'm a Christian I choose to believe in God. But that just my opinion and as everyone say it just a theory. So again don't get mad at me for expressing my opinion.
              Well, lots of Christians accept evolution as factual. I was raised in a denomination that did not teach creationism and accepted evolution as the method through which God's creation was expressed.

With that being said, there's no such thing as "just a theory." The way that the word "theory" is used in the everyday language is nowhere close to what an actual scientific theory actually is.
              Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                Well, lots of Christians accept evolution as factual. I was raised in a denomination that did not teach creationism and accepted evolution as the method through which God's creation was expressed.

With that being said, there's no such thing as "just a theory." The way that the word "theory" is used in the everyday language is nowhere close to what an actual scientific theory actually is.
                Well people are still debating this theory and they been doing it since forever.

Comment

Well people are still debating this theory and they been doing it since forever.
                  On one hand, yes, people are still contesting the theory of evolution.

On the other, there are also people who still argue that the world is flat.

The fact that people disagree with a given scientific theory does not mean that they actually have a credible argument against it.
                  life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

So a scientific theory is different from what we consider a theory in everyday life. A proposed explanation begins as a hypothesis, conjecture or an idea based on presumption or observation of limited evidence. A hypothesis is more vague, its a point for further research. A hypothesis which is tested in numerous conditions, in different environments, over an extended period of time, and verified by other researchers, all in accordance with accepted experimental standards and the scientific method can become a theory. We consider a scientific theory to have passed rigorous study and substantiation, to the degree which it is generally believed to be correct or nearly correct. An important distinction to note is that theories are testable, verifiable, and falsifiable, that is to say they could be disproven under the proper circumstances.

Now that we have a definition, we can understand that there are mountains, literally just mountains full of fossils and near literal mountains of research papers, of evidence supporting evolution. We have found nothing which disproves it, but are continuously finding more examples in support of the theory. We can see natural selection inside our own lifetimes and infer this is the driving force of evolution as traits are continuously selected for. Darwin's finches are the quintessential example where otherwise very similar finches were found to have very different beaks depending on which of the otherwise fairly close islands they lived on. Darwin theorized that the birds's bodies changed due to the available food in the isolated island environments, in accordance with available niches. For example, a finch who was born with a slightly heavier beak would be able to find much more food than other finches by exploiting hard shelled seeds they couldn't break open, and as a result of increased food would have more offspring, who in turn would have the same heavier beak. By this mechanism, natural selection leads to evolution as the derived traits accumulate until the resulting offspring is eventually substantively different from it's ancestor.

Evolution is also accepted because competing explanations, such as creationism, do not stand up to scientific rigor. There is little, if any, firm empirical evidence of creationism. If we recall of theoretical definition, a scientific theory must be verifiable. We can see the action of evolution, there is evidence and we can view the underlying mechanics. We cannot do the same with creationism. We cannot see a God or gods creating life and it has not occurred multiple times that we are aware of, nor has it been observed. Evolution is predictive and testable, we can see similar environmental pressures resulting in similar adaptations in unrelated species across vast stretches of time; for example many animals grow larger in colder environments with wider feet adapted to walking in snow. Creationism is not testable or predictive; we cannot know how or why it would have occured. Because no competing hypothesis can provide the same level of evidence as evolution, none of them can even be considered theories. With no other theory, evolution is left as the only likely an accepted answer.
                    Circe

Comment

No, "people" are arguing that their religious beliefs are more accurate than evidence supporting a scientific theory. Reputable scientists, on the other hand, do not debate whether or not evolution has occurred or is occurring; they debate the finer points of how it is occurring, how much it is occurring, which types of evolution are occurring, etc. Stuff like: Are ring species really one species, or are they multiple species with hybrid gradation? Or: Which species concept is most significant for a given evolutionary relationship?

Like MO said, "people" are still arguing over how they think the earth is flat.
                      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                      sigpic

Comment

yes the flat earthers are like that
                        MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                        NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                        don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                        http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                          No, "people" are arguing that their religious beliefs are more accurate than evidence supporting a scientific theory. Reputable scientists, on the other hand, do not debate whether or not evolution has occurred or is occurring; they debate the finer points of how it is occurring, how much it is occurring, which types of evolution are occurring, etc. Stuff like: Are ring species really one species, or are they multiple species with hybrid gradation? Or: Which species concept is most significant for a given evolutionary relationship?

Like MO said, "people" are still arguing over how they think the earth is flat.
                          The world is round. Not flat. Like seriously where did they get this ridiculous idea from anyway?

Comment

The world is round. Not flat. Like seriously where did they get this ridiculous idea from anyway?
                            You ever seen the earth look round when your standing on it? Sort of same idea of have you ever seen star's in a picture taken in space?
                            I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post
                              You ever seen the earth look round when your standing on it? Sort of same idea of have you ever seen star's in a picture taken in space?
                              Well I believe the world is round not flat. I'm a Christian with some sense and logic on why I don't believe the world is flat.

Comment

but not evolution? because evolution is also round
                                MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                                NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                                don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                                http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Working...
                                X