Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone feel psychologists and psychiatrists are psychopaths?

pragon

Re: Anyone feel psychologists and psychiatrists are psychopaths?

Quote Originally Posted by thalassa View Post
    Medication works for many psychiatric disorders, which are often caused by neurochemical issues within the brain.

I've had great success with Wellbutrin. My husband and children have had decent success (in the case of my son who has quite severe ADHD complicated by OCD) and great success for my husband and daughter with their various medications. My aunt has gotten great relief from Zoloft.

There is nothing inherently wrong with psychiatry, though (like all of medicine) it is far from perfect, due to the nature of how medicine works as a science.

You are a guinea pig experiment. Every single one of us is a walking, talking guinea pig experiment for life. When taken together, there are patterns in the behaviours of the guinea pigs and, eventually, there is an established norm and established deviations from that norm, whether one is talking about physical health or mental health or genetics or the microbiome of the gut. The brain is an incredibly complex organ with incredible variability. And like any highly variable system, when talking in generalities, there are lots of exceptions because all of the variability cannot be accounted for with the relatively simple system we have for analyzing it.

Medicine in general (and psychiatry in particular) is a lot like meteorology. In meteorology, there is a model of the earth and the atmosphere. We track data (temperature, pressure, humidity, etc.) across many points. The more points of data (sensors, satellites, weather stations, weather balloons, etc.) we have, the more accurate predictions from the data can be. Even so, meteorologists can't account for the data they don't have from the places where there aren't sensors. Its why the further out from the time of weather, the likeliness of the prediction changing is increased. Its why sometimes it rains on a day that is supposed to be sunny. Predicting weather is science in action--Medical diagnosis is no different.

We don't have 7 zillion sensors in the brain. We can't measure many data points of what is going on in there. All psychiatrists can do is use reported symptoms and behaviours (and people lie to their shrinks all the time) and compare them to the studied responses and behaviours and studies that have looked at everything from brain imaging to genetics, along with studies of behaviours and treatments to figure out what is going on in there. But there's still a lot of variabilities. Medication is amazing when it works, but getting to a medication and dosage that helps can be a lot of trial and error.
    Pragon says:
    Adderal, ritalin, stretara, zoloft, trazadone, wellbutrin, invega, vistrol, risperdal, yep... I think i've been on way too much to know now that I don't support the use of psychiatric drugs and find it ridiculous how you have to pay for that crap. I'd be a lot better, if I wasn't on it in the past I bet. Im sure I mispelled a lot of it. My body does not react good with any drug. It doesn't matter how powerful or not powerful it is. I could have just one beer and be nuts. The effects on drugs on my psyche is beyond extraordinary. I cannot handle it. It does not help me.

Another post telling me to get on medication is not going to help me. This is why I am tired of seeking help. Why should I sit down with someone who thinks they know everything in my mind? They sit at their desk as if they are god or a prophet of god. If a human being thinks they can compare and contrast my life to others, that is ridiculous. Comparing is the worst damage you can do to help someone. you have no idea what I've been through. I get everyone has problems okay. however, don't start comparing. Don't start contrasting me with other people. You don't even know my story. It's hard to go on with all this junk inside.

Medication is not going to help me. That is that. It may help some but it doesn't help me. I do not believe in treating my problems with medication. True fact: The military didn't believe in treating me with it either. I had to get off of everything I was on just to join. So... what does this tell me? Military fighting force working for government. All this medication and being used. I joined and was told I sold my soul to the devil. i ain't freaking making that up. Unfortunately, they found out my issues. Then again I lied because my recruiter said to keep my past diagnosis quiet. I thought it would change my life. It did in a negative way. Never made it past boot camp. Got discharged at around white phase.

If those in power tell me I don't need medication, I guess I don't need it! So yeah.... that's a little bit of my story I guess.
    Last edited by pragon; 03 Jan 2019 at 14:06.

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Eclectic Witch
    Phrase
    Move forward with purpose. -Sherillyn Kenyon

Quote Originally Posted by pragon View Post
    Pragon says:
    Adderal, ritalin, stretara, zoloft, trazadone, wellbutrin, invega, vistrol, risperdal, yep... I think i've been on way too much to know now that I don't support the use of psychiatric drugs and find it ridiculous how you have to pay for that crap. I'd be a lot better, if I wasn't on it in the past I bet. Im sure I mispelled a lot of it. My body does not react good with any drug. It doesn't matter how powerful or not powerful it is. I could have just one beer and be nuts. The effects on drugs on my psyche is beyond extraordinary. I cannot handle it. It does not help me.

Another post telling me to get on medication is not going to help me. This is why I am tired of seeking help. Why should I sit down with someone who thinks they know everything in my mind? They sit at their desk as if they are god or a prophet of god. If a human being thinks they can compare and contrast my life to others, that is ridiculous. Comparing is the worst damage you can do to help someone. you have no idea what I've been through. I get everyone has problems okay. however, don't start comparing. Don't start contrasting me with other people. You don't even know my story. It's hard to go on with all this junk inside.

Medication is not going to help me. That is that. It may help some but it doesn't help me. I do not believe in treating my problems with medication. True fact: The military didn't believe in treating me with it either. I had to get off of everything I was on just to join. So... what does this tell me? Military fighting force working for government. All this medication and being used. I joined and was told I sold my soul to the devil. i ain't freaking making that up. Unfortunately, they found out my issues. Then again I lied because my recruiter said to keep my past diagnosis quiet. I thought it would change my life. It did in a negative way. Never made it past boot camp. Got discharged at around white phase.

If those in power tell me I don't need medication, I guess I don't need it! So yeah.... that's a little bit of my story I guess.
    No one is saying YOU need to be on medication. We are saying you could use some help that this forum can't provide. And we are saying that you don't need to demonize all medicine just because it doesn't work for you. It helps a lot of people. That's why they keep prescribing it and why people keep using it.
    We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
    It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
    Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
    -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Dec 2018
    Religion
    Pagan

So over the years I have read quite a bit about therapy and psychology. I am not, nor will I ever be a psychologist however I do understand that psychology is an imperfect science. It is also a rapidly evolving science, which is part of why diagnoses change. Sometimes however, people may have gone to a psychologist who rushed diagnosis for one reason or another and got it wrong. This also happens when people visit doctors sometimes. Due to the human nature of those treating us, unfortunately mistakes happen. Also, if you are seeing a psychologist who thinks they know everything, you are seeing the wrong one. They are highly educated people who have studied, as others have said, previous studies of mental health. I absolutely understand it can be frustrating to hear one thing, then hear another. I can't speak for psychologists, but my experience studying therapeutic techniques (note: I am not a mental health professional) has been that if you know more than the client about themselves, you are wrong. The client will always know more about themselves than the clinician does, however it should be the clinicians job to help the client untangle that web and aid them by teaching them techniques which can help them with whatever is going on. I'm sorry you have had bad experiences with mental health professionals. I have too, but I've also come across some amazing ones who genuinely cared. As with any field, you have people that are great at their job, those who are merely ok, and those who aren't very good at it.
    Last edited by ice; 03 Jan 2019 at 15:30.

Sep 2015
    Religion
    Christian

I've been to a psychologist a few times and I didn't like it. I prefer a therapist over a psychologist.

Apr 2013
    Religion
    Theistic Satanism & Demonolatry
    Phrase
    Astra inclinant, sed non obligant

Pragon, as has been stated, this is a discussion forum. It is intended for use as a place in which to discuss various topics. Discussion usually means different perspectives.

No one is trying to force you to take medication if you do not want to.

What is your intention in posting this here if not to explore the benefits or detriments of psychology and medication?

Oct 2005
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

Quote Originally Posted by pragon View Post
    Pragon says:

I don't care if you take meds or not. I'm saying meds do help people. They don't help everyone to the same level, nor are they a magic pill. You can't just take the meds and not do the work. This is a DISCUSSION forum. You asked an opinion on whether we felt psychiatry was psychotic. You got one. You did not get a diagnosis of what you should do or what is wrong with you. You are right, I don't know you or your story, which is why I didn't comment on you.

I did use one single use of the word "you," which I then followed with a restatement of the sentence using the word "we"...this was a universal "you" and not "you" you specifically. I would have thought that was obvious, but from everything you have written here, as well as elsewhere, it seems you are quite determined to make everything about you and how no one understands you. Good luck with that.
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible

The Gaze of the Abyss B. de Corbin's Avatar
    Feb 2007
    Religion
    Alchemist and Neo-American Redneck Buddhist
    Frozen Northern Michigan, near Thunder Bay
    Phrase
    Where are the tweezers?

I can't say anything about you, such as "take meds," or "Don't take meds" because the effect of various meds differ from one individual to another.

What I can say is this: Both my wife and I take zooloft for anxiety & depression. It works great for ME, and pretty good for my wife.

If you've run the experiment and the results of taking meds has been ineffective, try something else.

Anger directed at those who have tried for you and failed, or at medications that were ineffective for you, is not going to help you in any way.

(P.S. I couple the meds with a lot of mediation. My wife doesn't. I don't know if that's the difference, or part of the difference, or totally unrelated. Maybe?)
    Those who have suffered understand suffering and therefore extend their hand.

I can't do everything, but I can do something.

Aug 2015
    Religion
    Ecletic pagan.
    Phrase
    This too shall pass.

While the history of mental health is steeped in bad and shady practices (the same as many other aspects of humanity), psychology and psychiatric studies are very real and very helpful. Don't know why you seem to be so angry about it but you do you.
    “I am Cat and I walk alone and all ways are the same to me.” ~Rudyard Kipling, The Cat Who Walks By Himself