Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone feel psychologists and psychiatrists are psychopaths?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone feel psychologists and psychiatrists are psychopaths?

WARNING: THIS IS OFFENSIVE TO PSYCHOLOGISTS AND PSYCHIATRISTS

Seriously how can any human think they can understand what the hell is going on in another humans brain? They seem to diagnosis people with disorders and give them medicine. We aren't guinea pig experiments!!!!!

It sickens me. I think they are the real psychos. They want everyone to be a certain way. WHat a bunch of censored
    Last edited by MaskedOne; 02 Jan 2019, 20:04.

Re: Anyone feel psychologists and psychiatrists are psychopaths?

Don't drop F-bombs and/or derivatives of them in public forums.

Past that, psychologist does not equal psychiatrist. The latter is an actual medical doctor with the authority to diagnose and prescribe. The former is not. Both of them serve various functions but they aren't the same. Beyond that, there are bad apples in both fields but both fields do provide significant benefit to society at large and will provide greater benefit as they mature.
    life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Pragon, I have read several of your latest posts, but I'll just respond here. As the mods already said, this is a forum and people come here to politely discuss topics. A rant every now and then is alright, but there is a lot of anger in you. Whatever the reasons, you should do something about that. Anger pushes people away.

I went to a psychologist a few years ago. She wasn't a psycho and she didn't try to do any experiments on me. All she did was listen and act as a mirror for my thoughts and feelings by asking the right questions which made me think different about myself and my life in a more positive way than where I came from.

If you don't want to talk to a psychologist, try to talk to a friend or family member. Or write your feelings and rants in a diary.

Comment

i agree Eleanor,very much so.
        MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
        NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
        don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
        http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by pragon View Post

Seriously how can any human think they can understand what the hell is going on in another humans brain? They seem to diagnosis people with disorders and give them medicine. We aren't guinea pig experiments!!!!!
          We understand quite a lot about the human brain. That's why we can diagnose and treat a lot of mental health problems. But it is a new science, we still have much to learn so the process continues. However, people still suffer mental afflictions and do not take 'I don't know everything about the brain therefore I won't help you' as a kindly answer. We use the knowledge we have to treat people as best we can while other other scientists work on finding out more.

I'm not sure why this is such a big problem for you.

Having said that, i've always thought psychiatrists and mental health nurses were a bit weird (i worked with them lots).

Comment

Some people are living with serious mental illness and psychologists and psychiatrists may very well be saving our lives.

Certainly there are some professionals who perhaps conduct themselves inappropriately, make mistakes or incorrect decisions or even have sinister motives. However, a blanket generalisation is not helpful.

As some of the others here have stated, I am deeply sorry that you are feeling hostility towards those in the professions of psychology/psychiatry - but I do hope that you reach out in a constructive way and address some of your concerns respectfully.

Comment

I am angry. I'll admit that. I'm sorry for swearing, if that is against rules. I thought it was okay to swear just as long as I wasn't offending anyone personally here. I do not wish to do that. The thing I don't understand with those who diagnose is all these disorders. They seem to have a new disorder or so every couple years or so. More people seem to get diagnosed these days then they did back then. My father is a baby boomer and he is against this as well.

My grandpa never had to deal with these new disorders as well. They didn't have an origin back in those days. It seems ridiculous with all these disorders. Most of them seem highly similar to other disorders. How does this help? How does using drugs change someone? I can assure you that I have my beliefs and they aren't going to change.

I talk to family and they think I'm nuts. Got a friend who agrees but she has her own issues right now. I do write. I write a lot and tend to delete it overtime. Seems like a pattern that goes on and on. Yes, I am angry. I'm not happy. I can honestly say yes... I am hella angry.

Comment

I am angry. I'll admit that. I'm sorry for swearing, if that is against rules. I thought it was okay to swear just as long as I wasn't offending anyone personally here. I do not wish to do that. The thing I don't understand with those who diagnose is all these disorders. They seem to have a new disorder or so every couple years or so. More people seem to get diagnosed these days then they did back then. My father is a baby boomer and he is against this as well.

My grandpa never had to deal with these new disorders as well. They didn't have an origin back in those days. It seems ridiculous with all these disorders. Most of them seem highly similar to other disorders. How does this help? How does using drugs change someone? I can assure you that I have my beliefs and they aren't going to change.

I talk to family and they think I'm nuts. Got a friend who agrees but she has her own issues right now. I do write. I write a lot and tend to delete it overtime. Seems like a pattern that goes on and on. Yes, I am angry. I'm not happy. I can honestly say yes... I am hella angry.
                If you have your beliefs and they aren't going to change, then there's no point in posting them here. This is a place for discussion, not for you to just drop your beliefs and walk away.

As far as how diagnosis works, it's all based off of the DSM Manual for Psychiatric disorders. Typically, a mental disorder has to have a significant impact on your ability to function in day-to-day life in order for it to be diagnosed as a disorder. I do agree that some things may be over-diagnosed. Anyone who isn't nuerotypical can be labeled with a disorder. But that is all part of coming to understand how our brain works. Part of the reason that diagnosis is increasing is that people are more aware and it's easy enough to google. Along with this part of the reason for the increase in ADHD diagnosis, for instance, is that schools get more funding for every ADHD child (from what I understand), because they pose extra challenges.

However, there is starting to be push back on this. People are demanding, at both a school level and a workplace one, that accommodations be made for the nueroatypical. Things like longer and more recess for kids, more active forms of learning, forest schools are starting to pop up. Things like longer breaks at jobs (for instance, an hour lunch and staying for 9 hours instead of 8), alternative seating (for instance sitting on a yoga ball), quieter office areas for those that need it to focus. Basically, there are people saying, yes, I'm different, and I have different needs to function as far as my environment, but instead of medicating my brain, lets compromise on the environment.

Even with all that, some people still need medication. Some people have mental health problems bad enough that they cannot function with the medication. Decades ago, many of those people would have committed suicide, or put themselves in more dangerous positions, or become recklessly violent, likely would have ended up in prison or worse. Abusive behavior was also more accepted, so those that couldn't control that behavior went under the radar.

It isn't simple. It's not straightforward. But as a society we're improving and we're doing our best and we're learning and that is what matters.
                We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
                It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
                Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
                -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

I am angry. I'll admit that. I'm sorry for swearing, if that is against rules. I thought it was okay to swear just as long as I wasn't offending anyone personally here.
                  I'm going to leave most of this alone because atm, that's better for everyone. However, regarding profanity. The rules mostly amount to, keep it limited and avoid all variations of f***. There are probably other terms that we'll censor on sight but in most cases, limited use of profanity will at most get your post edited and a warning to tone it down. However, the fact that I came across a string of posts requiring edits at around midnight last night while I was on my phone and that one of them was in the general area of a curse every other sentence has you on relatively thin ice for the next few days. In the interest of not summoning annoyed staff, avoid any profanity for a few days so that the staff are not collectively looking for mod tools and after that keep the use of profanity on public sections of the forum mostly restrained and you won't have much of an issue when it comes to the language rules.
                  life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Medication works for many psychiatric disorders, which are often caused by neurochemical issues within the brain.

I've had great success with Wellbutrin. My husband and children have had decent success (in the case of my son who has quite severe ADHD complicated by OCD) and great success for my husband and daughter with their various medications. My aunt has gotten great relief from Zoloft.

There is nothing inherently wrong with psychiatry, though (like all of medicine) it is far from perfect, due to the nature of how medicine works as a science.

You are a guinea pig experiment. Every single one of us is a walking, talking guinea pig experiment for life. When taken together, there are patterns in the behaviours of the guinea pigs and, eventually, there is an established norm and established deviations from that norm, whether one is talking about physical health or mental health or genetics or the microbiome of the gut. The brain is an incredibly complex organ with incredible variability. And like any highly variable system, when talking in generalities, there are lots of exceptions because all of the variability cannot be accounted for with the relatively simple system we have for analyzing it.

Medicine in general (and psychiatry in particular) is a lot like meteorology. In meteorology, there is a model of the earth and the atmosphere. We track data (temperature, pressure, humidity, etc.) across many points. The more points of data (sensors, satellites, weather stations, weather balloons, etc.) we have, the more accurate predictions from the data can be. Even so, meteorologists can't account for the data they don't have from the places where there aren't sensors. Its why the further out from the time of weather, the likeliness of the prediction changing is increased. Its why sometimes it rains on a day that is supposed to be sunny. Predicting weather is science in action--Medical diagnosis is no different.

We don't have 7 zillion sensors in the brain. We can't measure many data points of what is going on in there. All psychiatrists can do is use reported symptoms and behaviours (and people lie to their shrinks all the time) and compare them to the studied responses and behaviours and studies that have looked at everything from brain imaging to genetics, along with studies of behaviours and treatments to figure out what is going on in there. But there's still a lot of variabilities. Medication is amazing when it works, but getting to a medication and dosage that helps can be a lot of trial and error.
                    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                      Medication works for many psychiatric disorders, which are often caused by neurochemical issues within the brain.

I've had great success with Wellbutrin. My husband and children have had decent success (in the case of my son who has quite severe ADHD complicated by OCD) and great success for my husband and daughter with their various medications. My aunt has gotten great relief from Zoloft.

There is nothing inherently wrong with psychiatry, though (like all of medicine) it is far from perfect, due to the nature of how medicine works as a science.

You are a guinea pig experiment. Every single one of us is a walking, talking guinea pig experiment for life. When taken together, there are patterns in the behaviours of the guinea pigs and, eventually, there is an established norm and established deviations from that norm, whether one is talking about physical health or mental health or genetics or the microbiome of the gut. The brain is an incredibly complex organ with incredible variability. And like any highly variable system, when talking in generalities, there are lots of exceptions because all of the variability cannot be accounted for with the relatively simple system we have for analyzing it.

Medicine in general (and psychiatry in particular) is a lot like meteorology. In meteorology, there is a model of the earth and the atmosphere. We track data (temperature, pressure, humidity, etc.) across many points. The more points of data (sensors, satellites, weather stations, weather balloons, etc.) we have, the more accurate predictions from the data can be. Even so, meteorologists can't account for the data they don't have from the places where there aren't sensors. Its why the further out from the time of weather, the likeliness of the prediction changing is increased. Its why sometimes it rains on a day that is supposed to be sunny. Predicting weather is science in action--Medical diagnosis is no different.

We don't have 7 zillion sensors in the brain. We can't measure many data points of what is going on in there. All psychiatrists can do is use reported symptoms and behaviours (and people lie to their shrinks all the time) and compare them to the studied responses and behaviours and studies that have looked at everything from brain imaging to genetics, along with studies of behaviours and treatments to figure out what is going on in there. But there's still a lot of variabilities. Medication is amazing when it works, but getting to a medication and dosage that helps can be a lot of trial and error.
                      Pragon says:
                      Adderal, ritalin, stretara, zoloft, trazadone, wellbutrin, invega, vistrol, risperdal, yep... I think i've been on way too much to know now that I don't support the use of psychiatric drugs and find it ridiculous how you have to pay for that crap. I'd be a lot better, if I wasn't on it in the past I bet. Im sure I mispelled a lot of it. My body does not react good with any drug. It doesn't matter how powerful or not powerful it is. I could have just one beer and be nuts. The effects on drugs on my psyche is beyond extraordinary. I cannot handle it. It does not help me.

Another post telling me to get on medication is not going to help me. This is why I am tired of seeking help. Why should I sit down with someone who thinks they know everything in my mind? They sit at their desk as if they are god or a prophet of god. If a human being thinks they can compare and contrast my life to others, that is ridiculous. Comparing is the worst damage you can do to help someone. you have no idea what I've been through. I get everyone has problems okay. however, don't start comparing. Don't start contrasting me with other people. You don't even know my story. It's hard to go on with all this junk inside.

Medication is not going to help me. That is that. It may help some but it doesn't help me. I do not believe in treating my problems with medication. True fact: The military didn't believe in treating me with it either. I had to get off of everything I was on just to join. So... what does this tell me? Military fighting force working for government. All this medication and being used. I joined and was told I sold my soul to the devil. i ain't freaking making that up. Unfortunately, they found out my issues. Then again I lied because my recruiter said to keep my past diagnosis quiet. I thought it would change my life. It did in a negative way. Never made it past boot camp. Got discharged at around white phase.

If those in power tell me I don't need medication, I guess I don't need it! So yeah.... that's a little bit of my story I guess.
                      Last edited by Guest; 03 Jan 2019, 14:06.

Comment

Pragon says:
                        Adderal, ritalin, stretara, zoloft, trazadone, wellbutrin, invega, vistrol, risperdal, yep... I think i've been on way too much to know now that I don't support the use of psychiatric drugs and find it ridiculous how you have to pay for that crap. I'd be a lot better, if I wasn't on it in the past I bet. Im sure I mispelled a lot of it. My body does not react good with any drug. It doesn't matter how powerful or not powerful it is. I could have just one beer and be nuts. The effects on drugs on my psyche is beyond extraordinary. I cannot handle it. It does not help me.

Another post telling me to get on medication is not going to help me. This is why I am tired of seeking help. Why should I sit down with someone who thinks they know everything in my mind? They sit at their desk as if they are god or a prophet of god. If a human being thinks they can compare and contrast my life to others, that is ridiculous. Comparing is the worst damage you can do to help someone. you have no idea what I've been through. I get everyone has problems okay. however, don't start comparing. Don't start contrasting me with other people. You don't even know my story. It's hard to go on with all this junk inside.

Medication is not going to help me. That is that. It may help some but it doesn't help me. I do not believe in treating my problems with medication. True fact: The military didn't believe in treating me with it either. I had to get off of everything I was on just to join. So... what does this tell me? Military fighting force working for government. All this medication and being used. I joined and was told I sold my soul to the devil. i ain't freaking making that up. Unfortunately, they found out my issues. Then again I lied because my recruiter said to keep my past diagnosis quiet. I thought it would change my life. It did in a negative way. Never made it past boot camp. Got discharged at around white phase.

If those in power tell me I don't need medication, I guess I don't need it! So yeah.... that's a little bit of my story I guess.
                        No one is saying YOU need to be on medication. We are saying you could use some help that this forum can't provide. And we are saying that you don't need to demonize all medicine just because it doesn't work for you. It helps a lot of people. That's why they keep prescribing it and why people keep using it.
                        We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
                        It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
                        Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
                        -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

So over the years I have read quite a bit about therapy and psychology. I am not, nor will I ever be a psychologist however I do understand that psychology is an imperfect science. It is also a rapidly evolving science, which is part of why diagnoses change. Sometimes however, people may have gone to a psychologist who rushed diagnosis for one reason or another and got it wrong. This also happens when people visit doctors sometimes. Due to the human nature of those treating us, unfortunately mistakes happen. Also, if you are seeing a psychologist who thinks they know everything, you are seeing the wrong one. They are highly educated people who have studied, as others have said, previous studies of mental health. I absolutely understand it can be frustrating to hear one thing, then hear another. I can't speak for psychologists, but my experience studying therapeutic techniques (note: I am not a mental health professional) has been that if you know more than the client about themselves, you are wrong. The client will always know more about themselves than the clinician does, however it should be the clinicians job to help the client untangle that web and aid them by teaching them techniques which can help them with whatever is going on. I'm sorry you have had bad experiences with mental health professionals. I have too, but I've also come across some amazing ones who genuinely cared. As with any field, you have people that are great at their job, those who are merely ok, and those who aren't very good at it.
                          Last edited by ice; 03 Jan 2019, 15:30.

Comment

I've been to a psychologist a few times and I didn't like it. I prefer a therapist over a psychologist.

Comment

Pragon, as has been stated, this is a discussion forum. It is intended for use as a place in which to discuss various topics. Discussion usually means different perspectives.

No one is trying to force you to take medication if you do not want to.

What is your intention in posting this here if not to explore the benefits or detriments of psychology and medication?

Comment

Working...
                              X