Fauns and Satyrs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fauns and Satyrs

Does anyone know of Celtic equivalents (or close) of the Latin and Greek fauns or satyrs? Also interested in any Norse, Saxon or other Germanic equivalents.

Re: Fauns and Satyrs

I only know of the Glaistig, who is a female half goat from Scottish myths. And there is also Krampus, a half goat, half demon from I think Christian folklore.
    Other than those two I don't know about many other pantheons having Faun like creatures than the Greek/Roman pantheon.
    You could search this list on Wikipedia for horned ones The two I mentioned are on it as well.

Comment

Thanks. Following your links into various rabbit holes i found reference to Cernunnos, a cthonic deity often associated with horned gods. This may the closest to what i wanted, even if not physically identical.

This character may also have links with Shakespeare's portrayal of Oberon from A Midsummer's Night Dream. Is anyone versed well enough in Celtic mythology and Shakespeare's works to comment?

Comment

Cernunnos is an important god in Celtic mythology. He has antlers instead of goat horns, but he's like the Celtic equivalent of the Greek god Pan, who is a faun.

Comment

Puck in English or Welsh traditions. His German equivalent called cornbok (I don`t know exactly Latin spelling).

Comment

Working...
          X