Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ask a Mortitian

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Eclectic Witch
    Phrase
    Move forward with purpose. -Sherillyn Kenyon

Ask a Mortitian

I know you all are aware I'm in school for Mortuary Science. So, technically, it's ask a student. I definitely don't know everything yet. But I've been working in a funeral home and in school for six months. So, any questions?
    We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
    It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
    Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
    -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Oct 2010
    Religion
    stregheria

Re: Ask a Mortitian

very interesting,great topic
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

http://www.paganforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=186&dateline=1330020104

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Apr 2013
    Religion
    Theistic Satanism & Demonolatry
    Phrase
    Astra inclinant, sed non obligant

What would you say is the most challenging aspect of your role?

Oct 2010
    Religion
    stregheria

speaking on this once i was almost a morgue attendant,moving bodies and like that.
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

http://www.paganforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=186&dateline=1330020104

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Sep 2015
    Religion
    Christian

Quote Originally Posted by Shahaku View Post
    I know you all are aware I'm in school for Mortuary Science. So, technically, it's ask a student. I definitely don't know everything yet. But I've been working in a funeral home and in school for six months. So, any questions?
    What is your opinion on the afterlife?

Oct 2013
    Religion
    Egyptian Wiccan
    Phrase
    Daughter of Lord Anubis and Lady Bast.

How do you prepare a person for viewing? I mean, I guess what I am asking is what goes into embalming a person? I hope I'm not being too gross.
    Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Reading is Love | Serenity Hutchinson (Online Resume)

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Eclectic Witch
    Phrase

Quote Originally Posted by Torey View Post
    What would you say is the most challenging aspect of your role?
    For me, it's learning to interact with grieving families. I become interested in the job as an embalmer/because I wanted to care for our beloved dead. I didn't really think about the funeral directing/ coping with families side of it at first. It's extremely important, and some would say the more important role. But I'm not a people person naturally, so that's been very challenging.

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    What is your opinion on the afterlife?
    I have mixed feelings. I do believe in ghosts, or at least residual energy. I haven't seen any evidence of that in this field, but I have in the past, working at a hospital. I also believe that people end up in an afterlife that aligns with their beliefs, to an extent. I guess I'm hard polytheistic enough to believe that there are different afterlife's for different religions.

Quote Originally Posted by anubisa View Post
    How do you prepare a person for viewing? I mean, I guess what I am asking is what goes into embalming a person? I hope I'm not being too gross.
    Not at all. Though this will get a bit detailed, for the squeamish who may not be interested. Generally when a person passes away, one of two things happen. Either the family decided to have a direct cremation/burial or they decide to have the deceased embalmed for viewing. This isn't required in all states (in fact, I don't think it's legally required in most states) but embalming is required from many funeral homes for liability reasons.

The deceased is transferred from the place of death, to the funeral home, and into an embalming room. Typically, there are very strict rules on who can enter the embalming room, again for liability. They are placed on a table that drains away the blood and fluid that is run through the body. A two inch or so incision is made on the collar bone, and from there the skin is lifted until we can access the carotid artery. A tube with a metal tip is inserted into the carotid, and that is attached to a machine that has a mix of water, coloring agents, and embalming fluid. Some people then make an incision in the jugular to drain the blood and excess embalming fluid. At my funeral home, typically a trocar suction is inserted into the abdomen, through the diaphragm, and into the heart. Excess fluid is drained directly from the heart.

The embalming fluid also has a coloring agent. That stained the skin as it flows through the capillaries, hopefully returning the body to natural color. It also helps with the coloring of the nails. Sometimes, even with the coloring agents in the fluid, parts of the body will remain gray. While the embalming fluid is running, we wash the body, hair, clean under the nails, etc. Once the fluid has gone through the body and that process is done, a second high-powered embalming fluid is injected into the abdomen, lungs, etc to stop decomposition there.

Once that is done, we place a trocar plug in the whole in the abdomen and sew shut the incision on the collarbone. The incisions are often filled with a moisture absorbing/sealing powder to prevent any leakage. We then place a diaper on the deceased in case of leakage, and cover them with a hospital gown. Moisturizing lotion is put on their face to prevent it from drying out prior to viewing. Once their clothes arrive, they are dressed and placed in the agreed casket, make-up and hair are done, and any cosmetic alterations needed are done. Sometimes when the decease had been ill for awhile material is added under the skin to fill in the hollows a little bit. I can't remember what it's called, but it's basically a liquid injection that hardens on contact with the fluid in the body. There's also wax treatments that can be used to cover trauma (cuts, scrapes, etc.) All of that is things I'll be learning next summer, when I take restorative art.
    We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
    It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
    Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.

Oct 2013
    Religion
    Egyptian Wiccan
    Phrase
    Daughter of Lord Anubis and Lady Bast.

Cool. Thanks for letting me know. I told my parents that I wanted to be cremated because I want half of myself to be buried with my grandpa on my dad's side and half with my parents. Crazy.
    Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Reading is Love | Serenity Hutchinson (Online Resume)

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Eclectic Witch
    Phrase

Quote Originally Posted by anubisa View Post
    Cool. Thanks for letting me know. I told my parents that I wanted to be cremated because I want half of myself to be buried with my grandpa on my dad's side and half with my parents. Crazy.
    Yeah. I think I would rather be cremated as well. Your parents will have to talk with the funeral home where your grandparents are buried though. Likely there will be a fee of some kind to bury your ashes on their land. My girlfriend wants to be turned into a tree. There are these pods that basically are filled with ashes, which feed the trees initial growth, and therefore, you become a tree. This: https://www.boredpanda.com/bios-urn-...mpaign=organic

pragon

This guy might be able to help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JnoHOVXxdc