Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Are Most Religions Anti-Science?

Jul 2014
    Religion
    Celtic Pagan, Kitchen Witch

Re: Are Most Religions Anti-Science?

I am very much a theist however that doesn't mean that I cannot take science and see the Goddess and Gods hand in it.
    "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Oct 2010
    Religion
    stregheria

yes indeed Kaly
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

http://www.paganforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=186&dateline=1330020104

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

Oct 2005
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

Quote Originally Posted by Sean R. R. View Post
    Would you mind elaborating?
    Historically science was used by very prominent and very religious people to better understand their sacred texts or the wonders of creation.

In fact, I'd even argue that most of today's western understanding of mathematics, physics, and most other sciences (including medicine, botany, geology, etc.) comes directly from the efforts of very religiously inclined people.

Most of the time, science and religion are very compatible, as usually, they delve into very different levels of explanatory demonstration that are not necessarily contradictory in nature.

The two most notable's examples are the Islamic Golden Age, for, well, Islam, and from the 17th to the 20th century for Christian scientific development.

Back in the day, the Jewish people were also extremely kin on scientific development as well. The Greeks also used science, and most prominently geometry, as a way to understand and better appreciate nature and explain religious phenomena (cough, cough, Euclid, cough).
    As a scientist who grew up in a denomination of Christianity that accepted science's explanation of the origin of the universe and the evolution of man and started exploring other religions because of disagreement with the basic claims of its mythos with regard to the state of man and his need for salvation, this.

I've extensively studied the history of science. Which has pretty much been the history of religion for most of human history.
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible

The Gaze of the Abyss B. de Corbin's Avatar
    Feb 2007
    Religion
    Alchemist and Neo-American Redneck Buddhist
    Frozen Northern Michigan, near Thunder Bay
    Phrase
    Where are the tweezers?

I'm not a scholar of religion (mandatory disclaimer), but this question is interesting so I've been reading a lot about the history of "Biblical literalism" (and I'm not picking on Christianity - it's just that Biblical literalism has become a massive problem here in the U.S., distorting science education in public schools, fueling a home-school movement amongst people who are anti-science, creating a powerful fantasy-based, anti-science decision making engine in the highest levels of American government, and the corruption of data-based decision making in huge swaths of the American public... So there's been a lot written about it. Not so much about other religions).

Anywho...

What I've found is this: while, historically, there have always been Christians who interpreted the Bible literally, they have always been a small minority. Most Christians simply didn't do it.

In fact, during the first few centuries of the Christian era, people were writing gospels (stories of the life of J.C. and his possie) with less concern for internal cohesiveness of story line than Stan Lee used for comic books.

But they were (IMHO) written for the same reason - people loved new stories about their favorite super heroes. People didn't take them literally, they just enjoyed the stories.

But now, a recent PEW poll suggests that, in self-identified American Christians, 3 out of 5 are now calling themselves Biblical literalists.

Why this is, I can't say. But if I were studying this subject, I would certainly look at why the increase in Biblical literalism coincided with an increase in scientific knowledge, and the influence of religious leaders in the political\legal that have taken place ever since the anti-Darwin monkey trials (which, incidentally, are still being fought in American courts to this day).
    Those who have suffered understand suffering and therefore extend their hand.

I can't do everything, but I can do something.

Oct 2005
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

Quote Originally Posted by B. de Corbin View Post
    But they were (IMHO) written for the same reason - people loved new stories about their favorite super heroes. People didn't take them literally, they just enjoyed the stories.

But now, a recent PEW poll suggests that, in self-identified American Christians, 3 out of 5 are now calling themselves Biblical literalists.

Why this is, I can't say. But if I were studying this subject, I would certainly look at why the increase in Biblical literalism coincided with an increase in scientific knowledge, and the influence of religious leaders in the political\legal that have taken place ever since the anti-Darwin monkey trials (which, incidentally, are still being fought in American courts to this day).

I think some of this, at least, is a problem of literacy.
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible

The Gaze of the Abyss B. de Corbin's Avatar
    Feb 2007
    Religion
    Alchemist and Neo-American Redneck Buddhist
    Frozen Northern Michigan, near Thunder Bay
    Phrase
    Where are the tweezers?

Quote Originally Posted by thalassa View Post
    I think some of this, at least, is a problem of literacy.
    Some. Absolutely.

But it's run by people who know what they are doing. Is Ken Ham illiterate?
    Those who have suffered understand suffering and therefore extend their hand.

I can't do everything, but I can do something.

Oct 2014
    Religion
    Hinduism with a dash of Heathenry

Hinduism and science are old friends.
    śivāya vishnu rūpaya śivaḥ rūpaya vishnave
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ