Do as I say, and not as I do

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do as I say, and not as I do

Of late I've come across a number of 'pagans' who have set themselves up as leaders and teachers, yet their political and general beliefs are so far out of sync with what they claim to believe that they might as well be living apart.

People who teach the love of the goddess yet look down on and revile the disabled. (Apparently it's all their fault - karma, you see.)

People who teach love and light but loathe gays, trans folk, refugees and just about anyone whom they decree is outside their comfort zone.

People who teach kindness and love and charge exorbitant fees for flakey 'courses' that will make us a High Priest or Priestess (of what, is never clear).

Oh, and don't get me started on the ones who insist that 'All pagans/witches/Wiccans are good, they never do any evil,' nonsense. My motto is that 'Evil is never so evil as when it pretends to be good.'

Sometimes it's difficult to hold my tongue. It aches sometimes. Anyone else feel like this? Or am I just getting ratty in my dotage?
    Last edited by Tylluan Penry; 23 Feb 2019, 03:15.
    www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Re: Do as I say, and not as I do

Originally posted by Tylluan Penry View Post
    Of late I've come across a number of 'pagans' who have set themselves up as leaders and teachers, yet their political and general beliefs are so far out of sync with what they claim to believe that they might as well be living apart.
    I see that at times, especially the "teacher" aspect. They preach one thing then show something else. Seen some serious debates about it in fact and been involved in a few myself.

People who teach the love of the goddess yet look down on and revile the disabled. (Apparently it's all their fault - karma, you see.)
    Perhaps just my experience but this particular one I see more from "New Age" practitioners. It's both a look down on them and also a "It's something they bring on themselves but also something they are supposed to overcome!" Then if they don't overcome it then it's their fought. Coupled to that "Positive" thinking. If they only though positive about it then they'd overcome it. If they fail then they didn't think positive about it.

People who teach love and light but loathe gays, trans folk, refugees and just about anyone whom they decree is outside their comfort zone.
    I admit I don't teach love and light and fall victim to the anger issues at times towards disabled and refugee's. I'm disabled myself so really get irritated at some of things I see and attitudes I hear from parts of the disabled community. Then their are those who play at being disabled and that really gets my anger up as they milk every cent they can out of the system.

People who teach kindness and love and charge exorbitant fees for flakey 'courses' that will make us a High Priest or Priestess (of what, is never clear).
    Been in many debates about that one as well. Not only the courses but how often so many of those courses have disclaimers to keep the material "Secret". Yet the only reason it's secret is so the material is never revealed to show just how poorly produced and idiotic it actually is. Sad part is those who pay the money really do not want to come out and admit they got fooled so they either say nothing or find something useful for their money's worth. Simply leading the next group of sucker's into the fools trap.

Oh, and don't get me started on the ones who insist that 'All pagans/witches/Wiccans are good, they never do any evil,' nonsense. My motto is that 'Evil is never so evil as when it pretends to be good.'
    I hate that about as much as I hate the idea that all their divinities / spirits / etc are equally just as good and loving and never do bad. Taking even the darker aspect's of the divine and making it "sweet". On the positive note I can say I do not encounter that type no where near as much as I used to. However, I do add the disclaimer that "Charmed" is being rebooted so I do expect that to change again.

Sometimes it's difficult to hold my tongue. It aches sometimes. Anyone else feel like this? Or am I just getting ratty in my dotage?
    No your not the only one to feel that way. I try to hold my tongue but at times I just can't
    I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

One of the things about paganism that appealed to me was that it seemed like one of the more open and accepting religions/ways of life. At least in the community I first learned about paganism, I felt like I could really be myself and no one would judge.

But over time I have met some prejudice pagans as well. Even some who say they hate people who follow other religions. I don't understand people like that.

There's a pagan band from the Netherlands who even got banned from Castlefest (a pagan festival) because the singer got very preachy on stage in a negative way and was very rude to other people. I've seen him do it. It wasn't pretty...

Comment

Indeed; I feel the same exact way. I've gotten a lot better though at holding my tongue, and when I can't hold my tongue, I tend to just ask questions so that I may better avoid confrontation; by asking questions instead of really laying into them and giving them a piece of my mind, not only do I force them to question their own beliefs and actions, but I also force myself to question my own as well. This way both parties end up learning more about themselves, and about the other person, and neither should feel directly attacked. In the end, you will know where you stand, and be perfectly content with it, and more understanding of the other's world. :^^:

--Sollomyn
        Last edited by Sollomyn; 11 Mar 2019, 18:51.

Comment

I have a massive contrary streak that gets triggered by those types.
          It just makes me want to poke and challenge all that they know/believe. Ask them questions that they clearly have not considered, get them to actually look at and think about who and what they are.
          It's probably all tied in with my belief that we learn and grow from challenge and chaos.

Comment

Working...
          X