Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coping Mechanisms for Anxiety, Depression, Dissociation...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coping Mechanisms for Anxiety, Depression, Dissociation...?

I have PTSD (which manifests as some really serious dissociation,) depression, and general anxiety disorder. The last couple of weeks have been a major low for me, and I really just need some help. Counselors scare the crap out of me, and I don't have any kind of a support system. I used to treat with Kava pills, which helped a lot, but they're illegal in Japan so I had to wean myself off about 6 months ago. Currently, I take fluoxetine at twice the recommended dose for my body body weight, but that isn't helping me either, and the doctor won't up my dose at all. I really need some tips! I LOVE natural remedies, spiritual stuff, a n y t h i n g. I will try anything.

Thanks for the help! I don't know where to put this so I'm doing it under general.

Re: Coping Mechanisms for Anxiety, Depression, Dissociation...?

Gotta be honest. Therapy. It seems scary, but if you're willing to try anything that's what I would point to. PTSD can be tricky to medicate and your doctor is right to not up your dose past what's safe. If you love natural treatment, think of therapy as exactly that; a natural way of healing your mind. Something as serious as that needs and deserves professional help.
    You remind me of the babe
    What babe?
    The babe with the power
    What power?
    The Power of voodoo
    Who do?
    You do!
    Do what?
    Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Comment

Can I ask why counselors scare you?

There is no shame in medication or seeing someone for help. Don't ever let anyone tell you otherwise! I do also have to agree Iris, PTSD is a fickle beast in its own right and talking to someone might be the best all natural medicine for you right now.
      "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Comment

I see your a Marine and stationed at Iwakuni. Do you mind if I ask you what your PTSD is from?

If it is from combat or combat related issues then your fellow Marines and Counselors on base are some of your best resources for dealing with the stresses and triggers. Figure there are probably more than a few who are dealing with similar issues themselves though the actual trigger or event causes may be different.

If the source of your PTSD is from a differing source then I can potentially see where there could be difficulties speaking to both your peers and base counselors. However, your counselors should be there to treat the medical side of the health issues regardless of the causes. If you do speak to them, they might also be able to direct you to other's who have similar stresses or fears. That or resources on other local bases that could be of assistance's.
        I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

I'm a family member on Iwakuni, never been in the military :/ My PTSD is related to repeated sexual harrassment and emotional abuse as a kid. I don't know what it is with counselors that gets me, I just don't feel like I'm able to trust them? I've tried attending a few times, but I just clam up and can't talk. I used to have some good friends to talk to, but everybody is really defensive here, so I haven't had any luck with that ..
          Thank you for responding, though! I go to see my doctor about a med change next week, so we'll see if anything happens there.

Comment

I hope you can find a therapist you can trust. When you find someone you are comfortable with, the perspective they grant is absolutely priceless.

One thing my therapist had me do is visualize a giant stop sign when I started spiraling, and then acknowledge it and then move onto another task. It really helped me notice when and what was causing aggravation to my symptoms.

Grounding/meditation helps so many people. I find that free writing or doodling, just doing something with my hands, helps with my depression and anxiety. For the depression, keep a "heck yeah I did it" brag book. When someone pays you a compliment, write it in that. When you get a victory, small or large, write it down. When you have a good day, write it down. When you feel low, pull it out to remind yourself that you've survived, that you've done good and will do good again. For depression, make sure you are staying hydrated, showering and getting some sunlight, and making sure that your environment doesn't exaberate your triggers. For me, I can't stand a cluttered table, and when it is dirty I can't focus. So do that. Put systems in place to make it easier for you to do what you need. If you can't pinpoint a pain point, then journal or talk it out with someone you can trust, until you find it.
            ~Rudyard Kipling, The Cat Who Walks By Himself

Comment

thank you <3

Comment

Hi, there. Sorry to hear of your struggles.

Just wanted to say that I also suffer from PTSD (in my case, CPTSD) and have tried a variety of things over the years - from natural treatments to anti-psychotic medication to therapy - you name it.

I had a terrible experience with psychologists/psychiatrists/counsellors prior to 2015. Every time that I sought help, they would try to push me into "finding the Lord" (I was living in small-town Louisiana at the time). They also could never seem to diagnose me correctly even though, according to my current doctors, I have the most substantial history of trauma that they have ever encountered.

Luckily for me, in 2015 I found a psychologist with whom I had an amazing rapport. She has helped me tremendously - and though I'm far from "okay", I find that it's such a comfort knowing that I have our appointments to look forward to.

I currently take Zoloft for some depression and anxiety around all of this - for the PTSD side of things, it doesn't do much - but it helps to take the edge off.

For my sleeping issues, the biggest thing that I found to help was actually Melatonin which is available in smaller doses over the counter (in Australia, anyways).

I would also recommend looking into Valerian which is another natural remedy. It can help you to sleep, but I find that sometimes it helps to calm my brain down and flashbacks are not as intense.

Comment

Not sure which Command Element your spouse is assigned to at Iwakuni or what rank is held. But utilize all your resources that are available to you. For instance the Hospital will have a different Command Structure and may even have different support groups within it's own structure. Their Command Master Chief (CMDCMC) might known of things or people that your spouses command is not aware of. Talking with your Doctor's is one way to access that line of resources. Other commands on the base may also have various support groups and functions that are available. Most times those things are available to other personal and you can find their meeting times posted within the different command buildings or on various on-line pages. Just using the hospital as an example. Don't rule out your Chaplain's either. Again often excellent resources not just for religious / spiritual but other resources as they are trained in other areas as well. Often having contacts in multiple areas that are outside the religious / spiritual arena.

Just because your the spouse doesn't mean you don't have access to the senior enlisted person at his command. Sorry don't recall the proper term for the Marines any more, think it's a TOP but just don't recall. Believe the Command still has something similar to an OMNIBUDSMAN which is basically one of the wives who acts an as adviser to the Commanding Officer and deals with things effecting spouses. They often have all sorts of resources and contacts for the area and neighboring bases and commands. Just a word of advise here though let your spouse know if your going to his Senior Enlisted person on base. Sometimes people see that as jumping the Chain of Command and presume it's to complain and that can cause all sorts of issue for the military member. But if he can let his chain know then that does wonders to smooth ruffled feathers before they get ruffled.

I've been retired basically for 20 years now but I highly doubt that things have changed where if it affects the people then it's an issue we want resolved as leaders. Things going on at home affect and influence how they perform at work and in the field / deployed.

You say everyone is really defensive there. I wonder what your spouses rank is? Sort of makes me think he is lower ranking, perhaps E1 to E3. That's where I used to hear the defensive remarks the most. The junior ranks of E4 to E6 and their spouses were not so much defensive but career oriented and involved. The spouses of the E7 to E9 usually worked or were involved on the base in many ways. It's like I was an E-7 (Chief Petty Officer) and my wife was a Navy Relief Rep, was involved with a DIRSUP spouses group or was go between when I was deployed. Yet she was also prior military herself.

I will say be careful though. There are those wives on base who are like some of the single people in the barracks. Only sit and complain and talk about others and their problems and are the biggest source of rumors around. often wrong, often made up and often changed into something far from the truth of what they initially heard. But frequently they are willing to sit and listen to all your troubles and appear to be the best thing to happen when your troubled.
                  I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Thank you! I love valerian, I do use it sometimes. And fun fact- I used to live in Shreveport.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm actually a dependant, lol. I have some medical issues that keep me living with my family. My stepdad is a civilian contractor and a former marine. Thank you, though! I've contacted a few people locally, so we'll see what happens. Once again thank you so much for the input

Comment

Working...
                    X