Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Moving Abroad

Oct 2005
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

Re: Moving Abroad

...My smart lights won't travel well b/c of the voltage problem. So I think we are going to try to sell them (I have 2 variable white and 8 dimmable white, plus the hub and a motion detector) or give them away to someone I like, lol. There's a brand we can go with that a) requires no hub and b) has variable voltage.

There's adapters for things with variable voltage, and then step-down converters for things without, but there are still some things (like hair driers, etc.) that the step-down converter can't be used for.

The next issue is vehicle and health insurance... Plus we are still waiting on final approval before we get orders--I have my preemployment physical and the have to do an evaluation of the kiddo and whether or not they have availability of services for his ADHD/OCD
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible

Nov 2014
    Religion
    Eclectic with some strong norse tendensies

Quote Originally Posted by thalassa View Post
    ...My smart lights won't travel well b/c of the voltage problem. So I think we are going to try to sell them (I have 2 variable white and 8 dimmable white, plus the hub and a motion detector) or give them away to someone I like, lol. There's a brand we can go with that a) requires no hub and b) has variable voltage.

There's adapters for things with variable voltage, and then step-down converters for things without, but there are still some things (like hair driers, etc.) that the step-down converter can't be used for.

The next issue is vehicle and health insurance... Plus we are still waiting on final approval before we get orders--I have my preemployment physical and the have to do an evaluation of the kiddo and whether or not they have availability of services for his ADHD/OCD
    Some of it you might simply wanna buy when you get there. Electronics are fairly cheap (at least compared to Danish standards, I don't know what the American norm is). I imagine having to fiddle with adaptors for everything gets annoying real fast, also depends on how much adaptors cost whether it's actually worth it.
    You remind me of the babe
    What babe?
    The babe with the power
    What power?
    The Power of voodoo
    Who do?
    You do!
    Do what?
    Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

May 2012
    Religion
    Optimistic Agnostic
    Phrase
    Suspend Judgement

Congrats Thalassa on the opportunity of lifetime! Hope all goes well for you and your fam.

Oct 2005
    Religion
    Phrase

Quote Originally Posted by iris View Post
    Some of it you might simply wanna buy when you get there. Electronics are fairly cheap (at least compared to Danish standards, I don't know what the American norm is). I imagine having to fiddle with adaptors for everything gets annoying real fast, also depends on how much adaptors cost whether it's actually worth it.
    Yeah, this is where we are now...trying to decide what is worth taking and what we'll just sell or donate. If its something expensive, then I can see dealing with adapters/converters (computer, maybe the TV)...even if it still dies faster (converters aren't fool-proof), at least we didn't have to replace an entire household at once, you know? But I don't even own a hair drier or curling iron to have to worry about that. The kitchen appliances will probably have to be repurchaced. We've not inspected everything yet, so I'm not sure. My biggest purchase is my bed...it is adjustable and it has a massage function. I'm a bit spoiled there and will be sad if its going to become a giant paperweight.
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Nov 2014
    Religion
    Eclectic with some strong norse tendensies

Yeah, this is where we are now...trying to decide what is worth taking and what we'll just sell or donate. If its something expensive, then I can see dealing with adapters/converters (computer, maybe the TV)...even if it still dies faster (converters aren't fool-proof), at least we didn't have to replace an entire household at once, you know? But I don't even own a hair drier or curling iron to have to worry about that. The kitchen appliances will probably have to be repurchaced. We've not inspected everything yet, so I'm not sure. My biggest purchase is my bed...it is adjustable and it has a massage function. I'm a bit spoiled there and will be sad if its going to become a giant paperweight.
    I imagine that's quite a production to put together. I don't know if you speak German, but let me know if you need help figuring anything out in that regard. I haven't needed to use it in a while but I speak it fairly well.
    Also super jealous of that bed. I'd hate to leave that behind too.
    You remind me of the babe
    What babe?
    The babe with the power
    What power?
    The Power of voodoo
    Who do?
    You do!
    Do what?
    Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

May 2013
    Religion
    Shamanic Practitioner & Green / Hedge Witch with Hellenic leanings
    Phrase
    Can't never did nothing till it tried!

Doesn't Germany use PAL format for TV? Been so long since I though about that I've forgotten to be honest. Yet I know the US doesn't use PAL. That was one of the big issues I recall from PCSing to Europe back in the day.
    I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Oct 2005
    Religion
    Phrase

I'm trying to get an idea of rental prices right now, so I can plan. The advantage for me is that the government pays for it...but I have to be able to fork out the upfront. I want to stay in temporary housing as short a time as possible... :/

~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Eclectic Witch
    Phrase
    Move forward with purpose. -Sherillyn Kenyon

I'm trying to get an idea of rental prices right now, so I can plan. The advantage for me is that the government pays for it...but I have to be able to fork out the upfront. I want to stay in temporary housing as short a time as possible... :/
    Does the government pay for you to ship your stuff as well? I was kinda wondering how it would work, shipping all that stuff across the ocean. It's kinda forced minimalism, huh?
    We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
    It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
    Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
    -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Oct 2005
    Religion
    Phrase

They do pay for the moving, up to a certain amount of weight, and will move one vehicle as well, but that takes 45-60 days, and we only own one vehicle right now.

~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Eclectic Witch
    Phrase
    Move forward with purpose. -Sherillyn Kenyon

You can drive an American vehicle over there? You don't need to have the steering wheel switched, etc? There's a heck of a lot to this, huh?
    We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
    It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
    Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
    -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.