trickery and deception

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

trickery and deception

What makes a person a great trickster? What kind of lifestyle do they live when they are not tricking and deceiving people? What equipment and teammates do they need? Loki is the only god of trickery I know of.
    whatcha listening to thread is my playlist for today music i mean

Re: trickery and deception

We live pretty normal lifestyles, and we're good at tricking people because, contrary to popular belief, we're honest to a fault; I could tell a ridiculously boldfaced lie to any one of my closest friends or family, and they will believe it wholeheartedly because I almost always, always, always tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth so help me Goddess haha.

We don't lie; we may "omit" certain things, or we may tell you the truth in a joking manner so as to make you think that it isn't true. We're also very astute individuals with a good eye for details and a good feel for poetic irony and timing; timing is almost everything. The best part about it all, is that everyone we're manipulating to do our bidding for us, actually thinks it was THEIR idea hahahaha.

I try to make it a point to never lie; if you don't lie, you can't get caught haha. But if you must lie, then be sure to mix in a fair amount of truth along with it to make yourself sound more convincing; if you don't buy it yourself, chances are others won't either. ::

PS: Always have layers upon layers of contingencies just in case your first ingenious plot doesn't work. :XD:

PPS: As far as equipment and teammates go, you don't need either in order to be a great trickster; your equipment is your BRAIN, your teammates are the unwitting FOOLS you manipulate to do your dirty work for you themselves. In a perfect world, you'll have them convinced nothing out of the ordinary has happened whatsoever. The less people who are in on your trickery, the less chance someone will rat you out, the BETTER. True, for some situations you may need, (or desire), special equipment, but one should find ways of bypassing the need for tools, and use pure ingenuity to achieve their goals in this arena.

One last thing; the secret to becoming invincible on any battlefield. ...You ready for this? It's pretty huge; a real blockbuster of an epiphany. Here it is: Only fight battles that you know you can win.

--Sollomyn
    Last edited by Sollomyn; 21 Mar 2019, 14:08.

Comment

Originally posted by Austin.Apollo View Post
      What makes a person a great trickster? What kind of lifestyle do they live when they are not tricking and deceiving people? What equipment and teammates do they need? Loki is the only god of trickery I know of.
      The answer in the first two is variable. Con man != politician =! Stage magician despite all of them potentially exploiting similar ideas. The answer to third question depends primarily on the trick. Many tricks require very little except a practiced technique and some understanding of the audience/mark. Other tricks require more elaborate staging or an accomplice. It just depends on what you're trying to do.

For an example of relatively simple misdirection that is performed beautifully for entertainment and education.

life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
        The answer in the first two is variable. Con man != politician =! Stage magician despite all of them potentially exploiting similar ideas. The answer to third question depends primarily on the trick. Many tricks require very little except a practiced technique and some understanding of the audience/mark. Other tricks require more elaborate staging or an accomplice. It just depends on what you're trying to do.

For an example of relatively simple misdirection that is performed beautifully for entertainment and education.

Indeed! The Stage Magician is exactly what all great tricksters should strive to be more like, and the most important part of magic (not to be confused with magick), is showmanship. If you can become a good actor and showman, you'll be leaps and bounds ahead of mere mortals in the trickery and deception department. You have to not only make people like you, but like themselves for liking you. Magicians were even enlisted by the military for certain operations during World War II; never underestimate a good illusionist. The three books I study from, in order of my most favorite to least favorite, are as follows: "Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic" (AWESOME book; very huge as well; I still haven't managed to learn all it's secrets!), "Classic Magic Tricks" by Bob Longe and various other authors, (a great book to learn some of the most iconic, stereotypical magical effects; literally the oldest tricks in the book haha (Fun fact, the oldest trick in the book is actually the Cups and Balls Routine; it was found drawn among Egyptian heiroglyphs in oneof the pyramids if I recalled correctly; magic has been around a long time haha; personally, I'm fairly certain Jesus was a magician; I can duplicate all of his effects with just a little prep time haha.)

The third and last book I study from is "Magic for Dummies". By David Pogue. It's what you should read if you either a.) Know absolute NOTHING about magic, or b.) Would like a nostalgic refresher of the very first magic book you ever read haha.
        The tricks in it aren't all that great...and the author really should've put a "don't-show-this-trick-to-little-kids" disclaimer on the "Pencil Up the Nose Trick" hahaha. :XD laugh: (I've since learned a far more superior effect using the same basic concept; it's the pencil up the nose, out the mouth and in the ear trick now. Looks super trippy executed properly haha.)
        Last edited by Sollomyn; 21 Mar 2019, 14:49.

Comment

as MO said. depends on the kind of trickster.
          I am a mentalist and stage hypnotist. I suppose you could call me a trickster in some ways, and my friends have certainly learned not to play cards with me (although I always own up to cheating. the fun is not in winning but in pulling it off). I play mind tricks on my friends once in a while, but only with the ones I know are fine with it. It requires no special lifestyle, although patience, dedication and willingness to put in the hard work are essential. As for tools and teammates, a magician never reveals. And once again it depends entirely on the trick, I work alone, but there are things I would want to try with a partner.
          Loki is a different kind of trickster, I've always had a fondness for him though.
          You remind me of the babe
          What babe?
          The babe with the power
          What power?
          The Power of voodoo
          Who do?
          You do!
          Do what?
          Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Comment

^^^What she said.

And the dude in that video was a MASTER. I kneel before the mindslayer haha.
            Last edited by Sollomyn; 21 Mar 2019, 15:03.

Comment

Originally posted by Sollomyn View Post
              ^^^What she said.

And the dude in that video was a MASTER. I kneel before the mindslayer haha.
              Apollo Robbins is a lot of fun. He has a few other videos out but that was the first time I saw him and it's the only one I can think of with the trick he pulls on the audience.
              life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Apollo Robbins is a lot of fun. He has a few other videos out but that was the first time I saw him and it's the only one I can think of with the trick he pulls on the audience.
                Just watched the video, he's good I caught a lot of them but I've been obsessively practicing that for a long time. I've seen someone steal the necktie off a guy he was talking to. Meanwhile I still botch stealing watches, way better at planting stuff.
                You remind me of the babe
                What babe?
                The babe with the power
                What power?
                The Power of voodoo
                Who do?
                You do!
                Do what?
                Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Comment

A trickster doesn't always have to be a professional. It can just be someone who has a talent for manipulating people, finding your weak spots and use it to get what they want. I once knew someone who tricked almost all my friends in believing rumors about me which she spread around. She was very good at manipulating people, 'befriending' them and playing the victim so they would take her side. Almost everyone turned their backs on me. I couldn't convince them she was telling them lies.
                  The funny thing about the truth is that it has a tendency to come out, so in the end everyone realized she was actually the trickster and they turned their backs on her. It wasn't a nice experience, but I learned a lot about who my real friends are

Comment

Ah! So that's his name. I must study him haha. :XD laugh:

I caught most of the tricks, but I had to back it up to when he changed his clothes; couldn't believe I missed that. After backing it up it became perfectly clear why I missed it haha; he changed when he had his back turned to us. Probably a tear-away shirt front that he left on or by the table with that seated individual after he passed the audience. I was amazed to realize that he was wearing a different shirt for half of the whole video haha.
                    Last edited by Sollomyn; 22 Mar 2019, 01:23.

Comment

Working...
                    X