This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To smack or not to smack?

Wales - for a small country - is curiously progressive. It had 'opt out' organ donor cards instead of 'opt in' ones. A Welsh Politician, the great Nye Bevan, introduced the National Health Service. We still have free prescriptions in Wales (but not England).

And now this:

Personally I think it's a good idea. I'm interested what others here think of it.
    www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Re: To smack or not to smack?

I think that's great! In the Netherlands it's been illegal to smack your child for several years now. I'm not a parent, but I don't think you'd ever have to do that to your child, even if they are at their worst behavior.

Comment

What a fantastic thing! It is not illegal to hit, spank, swat, or smack your child in the U.S. but I think it should be. Violence promotes violence.
      "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Comment

I'll answer this way, I watched some young children beat a dog to death in Japan and was told nothing was done because a Child is basically not physically disciplined because they aren't responsible for their actions. A few days later saw some kids simply smack their mothers because they said no to something.

So no, letting a child do as they please because you think talking them out of doing something is going to change their behavior isn't going to change things.
        I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Originally posted by Tylluan Penry View Post
          Wales - for a small country - is curiously progressive. It had 'opt out' organ donor cards instead of 'opt in' ones. A Welsh Politician, the great Nye Bevan, introduced the National Health Service. We still have free prescriptions in Wales (but not England).

And now this:

Personally I think it's a good idea. I'm interested what others here think of it.

I absolute disagree. Here's why.

One day, my four year old niece ran away from the farm. My pregnant sister was in a panic when she came to me saying that she was probably heading to the ponds through the forest because she had so much fun there yesterday.

I took off running like a bat out of Hell for the ponds. This was back in Alaska by the way, so the ponds are extremely cold towards the center where it's deepest; about 75 feet deep. I raced through the forest; no shoes on because I didn't have the time; my niece could already have been dead for all I knew. My arms were whipped and cut up by the brambles and branches as I bulldozed through the jungle in as straight of a line to the ponds as I could. I burst into the clearing, covered in sweat and blood, dirt and grit, scanning the horizon at hyperspeed automatically, before seeing my nieces pink shirt; she was just now getting to the edge of the giant pond. "NOOOOO!!!" I screamed/roared as I charged after her. She'd stopped momentarily to turn around and look at me, her eyes widening as big as dinner plates. I was on top of her, clearing about fifty feet in about three seconds.

I threw her over my torn up knee, growling, and proceeded to wail her rear end with my hand, giving her a good ten to fifteen smacks. I may have went a tad overboard because I was in such fear for her life and so angry at her for running off from her mother. She was squealing bloody murder, bawling her eyes out by the time I'd finished. I then hugged her tightly and told her that she can never run away from her mother ever again, picking her up and embarking on the long, painful walk back home to the farm, carrying her over my shoulder as she hugged me tightly, saying "sowwy" after she'd calmed down.

Guess what???? She never ran away again! That spanking probably saved her life.

--Sollomyn
          Last edited by Sollomyn; 25 Mar 2019, 14:04.

Comment

It became illegal here when I was a kid. There's never a good enough reason to hit your child. discipline does not have to be violent, or we'd have generations of out of control kids and adults by now. and we don't.
            You remind me of the babe
            What babe?
            The babe with the power
            What power?
            The Power of voodoo
            Who do?
            You do!
            Do what?
            Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Comment

Just because something is made illegal doesn't mean people are going to stop doing it. THAT'S probably why you don't have generations of out of control kids and adults hahaha. :XD:

Just to clarify though, are we talking about slapping a kid in the face, or spanking their bottom the old fashioned way?

Or both?

Personally, I could never slap a kid in the face. I have absolutely no qualms though with pulling their britches down and throwing them over my knee for a much needed spanking.

My parents spanked my sister and I as children, and I for one am exceedingly grateful to them for that. It made me a better person, and probably saved my life.

Spankings are simply a teaching tool; a language that young minds can understand clear as day; do something bad, get a spanking; do something dangerous, get a spanking. A couple of times of that, and they'll rapidly learn not to do bad things or put themselves in danger because they will REMEMBER those spankings; it sticks in their minds far more than a time-out or writing lines. I'm an advocate of those disciplinary actions as well; my parents used both forms of punishment; usually time-outs and writing lines were reserved for less serious things, whereas spankings were reserved for when I did something exceedingly wrong or dangerous; I got a spanking from dad almost every time I got sent home from school; usually for throwing a temper tantrum, except for rare occasions where I got into a fight, but for what my father deemed to be a noble reason hahaha. (He hated bullies as much as I did, and always taught me to stand up to them instead of just letting them beat me up.)
              Last edited by Sollomyn; 25 Mar 2019, 14:19.

Comment

Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post
                So no, letting a child do as they please because you think talking them out of doing something is going to change their behavior isn't going to change things.
                A. Let the kid do anything
                B. Smack the kid

These are the only two options you see?

Fallacy of the excluded middle.
                Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                  B. Smack the kid

I think what Monsno was trying to say is that less severe disciplinary measures don't work on all kids; you can't have one type of discipline for all children; human beings just aren't that simple. You need a spectrum of discipline. The less severe end being a stern talking-to or lecture. The more severe end of the spectrum being a spanking. If that doesn't work, God forbid, then the government will probably step in, take your child away from you, and throw them in juvenile detention facility where they're going to get beaten, raped, shanked, drugged, tortured, brainwashed and experimented on for years, messing them up for life. Just do a little research on the Troubled Teen Industry and you'll see what I mean. That's what happens to kids whose parents are too idealistic and sentimental to discipline them properly, and it's an absolute tragedy; LOTS of them end up committing suicide. ......Spankings would've been better.
                  Last edited by Sollomyn; 25 Mar 2019, 14:30.

Comment

I've spanked, smacked, whatever terminology one wants to bicker about, my kids. I regret doing it. I didn't learn not to, didn't know there was other, healthier ways of parenting. I may have given my oldest son anxiety, merely because I allowed myself to physically discipline him. (I was not in the best mental health myself back then and didn't realize it).

Yes, there is a spectrum of discipline. You just said, you admitted you may have gone overboard. If you wouldn't hit your friend, your spouse, your parents for a behavior, it's not okay to hit your kid. I used to think I was doing it a "good" way---never hit in the heat of the moment. Never hit in anger. Always explained what they did wrong and why it was severe enough for a spanking.

Guess what? Studies have proved that it is STILL UNHEALTHY.

There are always going to be kids who aren't going to be well behaved. There are always going to be kids who do bad, extreme stuff like animal torturing or abusing their parents. Why should we as adults who have the ability to educate ourselves and the responsibility of educating others take a course of action that is proven--scientifically proven--to be traumatic and ineffective to children?

Even better then to just not spank kids at all. Because you have no idea if your kid will be one of the ones who ends up “ok”, or one of the ones who gets really fucked up by it.  Just like, don’t. At...
                    ~Rudyard Kipling, The Cat Who Walks By Himself

Comment

This topic is definitely belong to debate. This is just my opinion I think spanking should be illegal because it's child abuse.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                        B. Smack the kid

Ah, please show me where I said beating or spanking is the only option, I said speaking to them is not going to cut it. Discipline is a broad spectrum and ranges from physical (not bodily harm) to discussion when it is applicable. Never said physical is a first resort nor said that it is the only resort. But I am not foolish enough to presume that trying to talk is the only resort either.
                        I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

There are some kids who let things roll off them, and some who internalize everything. Parents "should" know the difference, in a perfect world, but that's not the case. It's easy to say "I was spanked and I turned out fine", but you may not be fine at all. I was a kid who NEVER should have been hit. I stopped trusting my parents very early in life. They weren't "abusive" by any stretch. I was extremely sensitive and highly anxious. They didn't see that. They had no idea what was going on in my little head.
                          So, I'm pretty much against it. It's one of those things where it's best to err on the side of caution.
                          sigpic
                          Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post
                            Ah, please show me where I said beating or spanking is the only option, I said speaking to them is not going to cut it. Discipline is a broad spectrum and ranges from physical (not bodily harm) to discussion when it is applicable. Never said physical is a first resort nor said that it is the only resort. But I am not foolish enough to presume that trying to talk is the only resort either.
                            I quoted you in the post. But, to be clear, in the context of this discussion (to smack or not to smack), the only other possibility you described is ineffectual speaking. So - talking that does nothing doesn't work allowing children to run wild (beat dogs to death, deck a parent), leaving smacking as the only other option.

But I accept the clarification - smacking is a last resort, when all else fails.
                            Last edited by B. de Corbin; 25 Mar 2019, 16:26.
                            Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

There's also numerous studies that claim evidence in SUPPORT of spanking. :XD: (Just googled it because I was curious about what you said; the scientific community is effectively split on the issue.)

How you discipline your kids is your choice; how I discipline my own kids is my choice. Either way, the government should stay out of both of our business in that regard. There's a big difference between discipline and child abuse; a lot of people seem to fail at making that distinction.

All I can say is that I've seen how effective spankings can be at getting results. Granted, it definitely shouldn't be the one and only form of discipline, but it shouldn't be banned by the Government either; they've already made criminals out of every single one of us as it is. (At least in America; we have mountains and mountains of thousands of pages of laws, so much so that it's effectively impossible to be able to follow every single one of them....and there's studies to prove it hahaha. :XD

Comment

Working...
                              X