Pop culture paganism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pop culture paganism

I'm just curious if anyone else around here incorporates pop culture elements and/or entities into their spirituality?

There is a spirit I encounter from time to time that has such associations for me. I was looking for a god associated with homosexuality that would fit into my path at the time, so I wrote down some associations I had with rabbits which included elements from Alice in Wonderland and a book by the title of The Little Rabbit Who Wanted Red Wings which made a big impact on me the first time I read it or had it read to me in childhood.

Though I consciously constructed what I wanted in a god or spirit (there is not a clear dividing line for me) my unconscious took over from there, and he came to me in dreams and waking imagery with characteristics I had not consciously invented unlike the start of the endeavor.

He is a sort of merged version of the rabbit god Tu'er Shen, the white rabbit from Wonderland, the rabbit from The Little Rabbit Who Wanted Red Wings, and some other associations, some consciously, others unconsciously derived.

So that's my bit of pop culture paganism. While I cannot say that I necessarily created this deity -- Little Rabbit -- since he has a numinous quality (more on that later) conscious creativity and association building from pop culture and ancient associations with rabbits was definitely a gateway for his introduction into my life.

I am very much an advocate of incorporating secular elements into spirituality including pop culture. Any thoughts or experiences with that?

Re: Pop culture paganism

http://www.paganforum.com/showthread.php?10612-Pop-Culture-Paganism
    We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
    It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
    Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
    -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

Thanks! What a good read!

Comment

I think it's only inevitable and natural that people adopt themes/personalities from their surroundings and introduce them into their spirituality.

Especially with narrative tropes and their symbolism and power. I'd wager that our ancestors were much more accepting of it than we are now. Certainly in faiths that already had a lot of animism and veneration of ancestors.

- - - Updated - - -

Just look at how our image of god's/spirits change overtime and with exposure to each culture. They always make them more personal.

The obvious one ( for volume) would be the massive euro-centric Christian art work of the last 600 years or so.
        A lot less angry 4 headed winged beasts, and more white winged babies ::

Comment

Working...
        X