Spinning!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spinning!

Does anyone else spin? Rae'ya taught me how to spin with a drop spindle a few years ago. I've fallen out of practise, but in cleaning my altar today, I came across some beautiful mulberry fibres, that I had in a fertility offering for Frigg. Anyhow this offering is like over a year old (and I'm not pregnant) so I thought I'd dismantle it, and had the urge to spin the fibres. Well, still got it!!

- - - Updated - - -

Of course my pictures won't upload ��
    ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
    Seen the desert and the birds
    You cut your hair short
    Like a shush to an insult
    The world had been yelling
    Since the day you were born
    Revolting with anger
    While it smiled like it was cute
    That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Re: Spinning!

No, but I'd love to learn!

Mostly art.

Comment

It's one of those things I like the idea of learning, but probably don't have the time or patience to actually put in the effort to do. Not to mention you need equipment, supplies, etc.
      We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
      It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
      Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
      -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

I don't really have the time or patience either, but it was surprisingly easy! Hard to get it consistent etc, but the technique itself is pretty simple. And equipment-wise, I literally just have a drop spindle, and some fleece, that's it!

I'll keep trying to get these pics uploaded so I can show you

RIP

You cut your hair short
        Revolting with anger

- J. Wylder

Comment

Hahaha pretty sure I still have the video of your first attempts somewhere... I have a wheel now, so I'll teach you that next time you're over.

On a purely spiritual note, I've found that when I get a sudden big urge to spin, it's usually Frigg or the Nornir giving me a prod. Maybe Frigg is prodding you to turn an old offering into a new one?

Comment

I do some spinning from time to time...I find that I am terrible with the drop method and better with the thigh rolling method, especially if do a loose spin to ensure the thickness is relatively uniform of the pieces of wool (or whatever--I've spun cotton and wool) and then go back and spin again to get it tighter and more yarn-y. Otherwise, I'm totally inconsistent.

How are you processing mulberry for fibers?
            Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rae'ya View Post
              Hahaha pretty sure I still have the video of your first attempts somewhere... I have a wheel now, so I'll teach you that next time you're over.

On a purely spiritual note, I've found that when I get a sudden big urge to spin, it's usually Frigg or the Nornir giving me a prod. Maybe Frigg is prodding you to turn an old offering into a new one?
              haha it's on facebook I think! :P I don't have space for a wheel, but I am extending my house, so one day...

And that's what I was thinking. I'm clearly on a 'prod' atm, hence why I'm back here, cleaning my altar, spinning old offering fibres. Idk what I'm doing with it yet, but I'm trying to find time to work out. Life man.. I'm stretched thinnnn

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
              I do some spinning from time to time...I find that I am terrible with the drop method and better with the thigh rolling method, especially if do a loose spin to ensure the thickness is relatively uniform of the pieces of wool (or whatever--I've spun cotton and wool) and then go back and spin again to get it tighter and more yarn-y. Otherwise, I'm totally inconsistent.

How are you processing mulberry for fibers?
              I'm not processing mulberry, I got it in a random box of fibers (https://raxor.com.au/collections/lux...ilk-sliver-25g)

RIP

You cut your hair short
              Revolting with anger

- J. Wylder

Comment

Originally posted by Heka View Post

I'm not processing mulberry, I got it in a random box of fibers (https://raxor.com.au/collections/lux...ilk-sliver-25g)
                OH! Silk...lol, I feel silly. I was like...what can you spin on a mulberry tree?
                Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                sigpic

Comment

Pictureeesss

RIP

You cut your hair short
                  Revolting with anger

- J. Wylder

Comment