Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greetings from a Cemiist!

Aumatex.
    Last edited by PorLosDioses787; 10 Jun 2019, 01:37.

Re: Greetings from a Cemiist!

Wow I never heard of that believe system before. Interesting and welcome to Pagan Forum.

Comment

Very interesting. Welcome to the forum!
      Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

Hello and welcome to PF!
        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
        sigpic

Comment

Welcome to the forum! I actually have heard of this religion. One of my friends is from Puerto Rico and talks about the native beliefs. As she's described it to me, there's a lot of syncretism between the island beliefs, and the imported African and Christian ones. Similar to Santeria and other diasporic religions, she describes it as a combination of foreign integration and continuation of the ancient traditions. When chatting, she's actually named some Lwa in the descriptions, but overall we haven't talked a lot about specifics. It seems like a very difficult faith to reconstruct. I'd love to hear more about it, and get new perspectives.
          Circe

Comment

Originally posted by Corvus View Post
            Welcome to the forum! I actually have heard of this religion. One of my friends is from Puerto Rico and talks about the native beliefs. As she's described it to me, there's a lot of syncretism between the island beliefs, and the imported African and Christian ones. Similar to Santeria and other diasporic religions, she describes it as a combination of foreign integration and continuation of the ancient traditions. When chatting, she's actually named some Lwa in the descriptions, but overall we haven't talked a lot about specifics. It seems like a very difficult faith to reconstruct. I'd love to hear more about it, and get new perspectives.
            Yes, it is kind of difficult to reconstruct because almost all of their practices were decimated by the spanish. The little information we do know is by the Spanish themselves. There are probably numerous unnamed gods, concepts, rituals, etc. but overall, i just let my ancestors guide me, along with the mother goddess, Atabey and the other Gods. I do enough to please them, and i give offerings and make rituals that i feel please them. It is kind of like any reconstrucionist religion, no one i really worshipping the Gods the way they originally were in the past, this is true for Kemetics, those who practice Hellenismos, And of the aztec reconstruction faith (of which i'm taking an interest in)
            As for the syncretism, that's actually the first time i've heard of that actually. Tbh, i prefer to follow just one path instead of multiple Gods at once, but thats just me lol.
            Last edited by PorLosDioses787; 11 Jun 2019, 17:15.

Comment

Welcome! I look forward to reading more about your faith!
              ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
              Seen the desert and the birds
              You cut your hair short
              Like a shush to an insult
              The world had been yelling
              Since the day you were born
              Revolting with anger
              While it smiled like it was cute
              That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Originally posted by PorLosDioses787 View Post
                As for the syncretism, that's actually the first time i've heard of that actually. Tbh, i prefer to follow just one path instead of multiple Gods at once, but thats just me lol.
                I think you're misunderstanding what syncretism is. The idea is that x gods and y gods are the same gods, or else that it is a fusion of them which creates a new type of religion. The Romans' habit of describing the native gods of their people using Roman names is a prime example. It isn't that they were following multiple pantheons, because logically that doesn't make sense. Their understanding was that gods were real, and thus they may choose to reveal themselves in different ways to different people.

In terms of fusion, this happens throughout the new world. Africans would worship their old gods at the foot of saint icons, finding those with similar symbolism or themes, and over time their common attributes would grow as Catholicism bled in. This is especially common in regions which have been colonized, invaded, or otherwise had a foreign power forced over the native culture. It happens throughout the Mediterranean as gods migrate also. This isn't even to ask why having multiple gods in a polytheist faith would be a problem.
                Circe

Comment

Oh sorry, i misread what you said in your post.
                  I thought you said your friend practiced the native beliefs alongside Santeria and Vodou, when you mentioned the Lwa.
                  That's what i meant by following Gods from on path, not from multiple paths at once lol, sory if i didn't make that clear

Comment

Working...
                  X