Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How I view la Santa Muerte.

Hello everyone!
    My name is Giomar, and today i will be going over my views of the increasingly popular skeletal folk 'saint', Santa Muerte.

Now before i go into anything, i would like to start by beginning with,
    who is Santa Muerte?

For those of you who don't know, Santa Muerte is "a female deity or folk saint in Mexican and Mexican-American folk Catholicism. A personification of death, she is associated with healing, protection, and safe delivery to the afterlife by her devotees. Despite condemnation by leaders of the Catholic Church, her cult has become increasingly prominent since the turn of the 21st century." ~ Brought to you by, her wikipedia page. ( I know wikipedia is not the best source but hey, it works for the time being :lol

Now as the source cited states, her followers have different views on what she is.

While it is widely accepted that she represenst death, some of her devotees claim she is a Goddess, others a saint who works for God, or other views.

I, personally, see her as all of it.

She is an ancient Aztec Goddess (Mictēcacihuātl) who introduced herself as a saint to reach more people.

I honor both sides of her.

In my altar i have a statue of her, have crosses, and an Aztec calendar.

In my prayers to her, i make the sign of the cross, say amen, and sometimes even refer to her by her ancient name.

I also have a little knowledge of Mexica (Aztec) spirituality.

And, although many people might see this as weird, i offer bloodletting for her on important occasions such as Dia de Los Muertos or in a serious prayer, just to better honor her ancient and native side, which is honestly something i don't see enough people doing.

I also see her as such the perfect concoction of both the indigenous culture of Mexico and the added influence of Spain, that Hispanics of different decent can feel more related to her due to Hispanic culture in general being a hybrid mix of Spanish, Native, and in some cases African and other races as well.

In fact, everyone can relate to her on basis of Mortality.

Everyone is going to die, so everyone can approach her, she does not judge, wether you're Mexican, Black, White, Puerto Rican, Cuban, a catholic, a pagan, gay, straight, lesbian etc etc etc

So, in conclusion to all of the above?

I just see Santa Muerte as an entity we could all learn from.

Re: How I view la Santa Muerte.

Originally posted by PorLosDioses787 View Post
    Hello everyone!
    I, personally, see her as all of it.

She is an ancient Aztec Goddess (Mictēcacihuātl) who introduced herself as a saint to reach more people.

I honor both sides of her.
    (^emphasis mine)

I love this.

I'm fairly unconventional as Pagans go, in that I am agnostic to a belief in the meta/physical reality of deities but I very much believe in them as a cultural and psychological entity (and not as an archetype). As such, I find the cultural evolution of religion and the individual variations of personal/deity relationships to be fascinating, among both Pagans and non-Pagans.

I think its incredibly beautiful when we integrate the full aspect of a deity's history and interactions into our worship... Too often, people stick with a really one dimensional view of their gods, as if they are static monoliths rather than dynamic forces.
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Comment

Working...
    X