Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Etiquette when working w/ one God/dess in particular?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Etiquette when working w/ one God/dess in particular?

This may seem like a dumb question, but if you've dedicated yourself to or work strongly with one God and/or Goddess in particular, if you need to work magick that isn't exactly something they're known for, do you find a way to work the spell with that particular God/dess, or is it ok to work with other God/desses? TIA!

Re: Etiquette when working w/ one God/dess in particular?

Originally posted by nykteria View Post
    This may seem like a dumb question, but if you've dedicated yourself to or work strongly with one God and/or Goddess in particular, if you need to work magick that isn't exactly something they're known for, do you find a way to work the spell with that particular God/dess, or is it ok to work with other God/desses? TIA!
    That depends on what you believe in. It all depends on the individual. Some people work with one deity. Other people work with multiple deities. And witchcraft can work depending on a deity that you worship.

Comment

Originally posted by nykteria View Post
      Nykteria, I've been trying to sift through some of the sub-forums for you because I think this has been touched on a few times throughout some threads here. I don't recall many people here working solely with one entity only. However, I do remember people saying they don't get two entities working together on one cause if there's a known issue.

You might be able to simply ask the entity you've dedicated yourself to if they mind you working with someone else in particular.

If I find the posts that are coming to mind, I'll link them here for you.

Comment

Being very eclectic I seldom run into this as an issue except the very demanding spell checker gods that tend to be very spiteful. I know I know I need a Grammar god to even things out!
        MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
        NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
        don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
        http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Thanks everyone for the advice!

Comment

Short answer: It's Complicated and it varies.

Long answer:

Things to consider before calling in another Power:

The details of any covenant you've made with your primary Power. This is the first hurdle to look at, breaking bargains with Powers is not a thing to do lightly. Sometimes they get cranky about it and cranky Powers have been known to share their displeasure in creative ways. If you've made any specific vows the stand in the path of calling another Power then this is where you normally stop because failure to stop here means that you are going to be redefining your relationship with the Power that you primarily follow and you may or may not enjoy the end result.

Who do you primarily follow and who are you planning to call? Some Powers are not friends. Calling on Tiamat when you primarily work with Marduk (or doing the reverse) is not guaranteed to end well as the two of them went to war with each other and one theoretically killed the other. By contrast, if you are calling on a Power who is on relatively good terms with the Power you primarily work with then things may go relatively smoothly.

Do you actually have any real need to seek outside aid? There's an occasional tendency to try and fit Powers into neat little predictable boxes. It's a bad tendency and should be culled. A lot of the more commonly known Powers have very, very, very broad fields of influence (if you have a goal that Athena can't help you with then you probably aren't looking at things the right way). Now, not all Powers will approach a given issue the same way (if Athena helps you with your love life then it's liable to look different than if Aphrodite helps) but resist the trend of trying to stuff a Power into a box. They generally have surprisingly wide reach.
            "It is not simply enough to know the light…a Jedi must feel the tension between the two sides of the Force…in himself and in the universe."
            ―Thon

"When to the Force you truly give yourself, all you do expresses the truth of who you are,"

Yoda

Yoda told stories, and ate, and cried, and laughed: and the Padawans saw that life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Something else to consider is what type of magic is it and how is the god(s) involved? I mean, I rarely (as in never) invoke a deity in spellwork anyhow, unless the work I'm doing requires (extremely rare--in 20+ years, less than 10 fingers but more than 5) divine favor or magic of some sort. Unless whatever is being done depends on external woo from the gods to fuel it, or is part of a larger working that the practitioner ultimately lack the control or power for (in which case, I have found that is rarely a smart avenue to take), its been my experience that "you" are enough or that "you + some elemental energies" are enough. Ceding a spell over to a deity means that it is no longer under one's personal will and control. Why bother with a spell than at all? A prayer will suffice to the same ends. I guess my point is to consider what you are doing and why you are doing it that way...
              Last edited by thalassa; 05 Jul 2019, 02:30.
              “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
              ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
              ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X