Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Rituals to cure sickness/illness

Originally posted by Celtic_ View Post
    Not talking about the surplus amount of pagan believers that died of plague etc, talking about those that were healed in myth and legend, those who were successful
    I wasn't talking about the ones who died of the plague either. I was talking about the ones who died of simple infections. Because that's what happened.

In terms of mythology... I actually do have one for you. In Northern Lore there is a cautionary tale about a person who tried to heal a friend by carving certain healing runes above the person's bedpost. He used the correct runes, but he wasn't a rune vitki and he didn't have the knowledge, understanding or experience to execute it properly. And so he actually caused the person to slip into a coma. And then a rune vitki had to be bought in to undo the well-meaning but ultimately harmful healing spell.

Spells and rituals like you are requesting aren't recipes. You can't just pick one up, throw the ingredients together and get a predictable result. You need the background and foundation. You need the knowledge and experience. You need the relationship with the entities and deities in question. There is no such thing as praying to a god once or twice and being miraculously healed. It doesn't happen. Even in mythology, we are talking about deities and entities that people have had years of worship and relationship-building with. Deities don't just give out free services... they expect payment, respect, and a serious relationship or arrangement.

What you CAN do is look up healing correspondences, put together an altar or ritual and create an energy in your life that complements and encourages a healing environment and mindset. But it will not magickally heal you. It will not solve all your problems in one ritual. Or two. Or five or ten. It will complement the actions that you take in the real world. It will smooth the path.

And as a side note, I actually do believe in real deities. I am a hard polytheist and I believe that the deities are real beings in another plane of existence who have some small measure of power in this world within certain parameters. Specifically, I work with deities of death and healing. And I am also a healer by trade. Most of our magick healing work acts on the energy body, not the physical body. That is not to say that it is useless or has no effect... but that it acts on one part of our entire organism. For magick or energy or intent to cause the sort of major physiological changes that you are suggesting is almost unheard of, even in mythology. You have to remember that the people who wrote the myths had very little understanding of medicine. To them, a chronic infection clearing up due to the body's own immune system was a miracle of the gods. When hundreds of people died of some plague but some survived... they put that down to divine intervention. But the reality was just simple immunology. The body is an incredibly complex and amazing construct and it can be capable of amazing feats of self-regulation and healing. Or it can succumb to simple infections and you can die after being scratched by a stick.

Comment

Working...
    X