Harriet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Harriet

I heard this new called Harriet. It talks about the untold story of Harriet Tubman. I also heard that many people are complaining that this movie is historically inaccurate.

Re: Harriet

Can you link a trailer?
    �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
    ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
    Sneak Attack
    Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

Originally posted by Juniper View Post
      Can you link a trailer?
      Sure here you go.

Based on the thrilling and inspirational life of an iconic American freedom fighter, HARRIET tells the extraordinary tale of Harriet Tubman's escape from sla...
      Last edited by Bartmanhomer; 04 Nov 2019, 16:37.

Comment

As far as it being historically inaccurate... Well, it's a movie BASED on her story and they need to fit it into a specific format. If it was made into a series, they could probably make it a lot more accurate. I wager it's designed to hit on the highlights of her story.

That said, it looks like an excellent film and I will very much like to see it.
        �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
        Sneak Attack

Comment

As far as it is historically inaccurate... Well, it's a movie BASED on her story and they need to fit it into a specific format. If it was made into a series, they could probably make it a lot more accurate. I wager it's designed to hit on the highlights of her story.

That said, it looks like an excellent film and I will very much like to see it.
          I actually learn everything I need to know about Harriet Tubman at my old childhood school so I'm going to take a pass on this movie.

Comment

So why make a review thread about it then?
            Sneak Attack

Comment

So why make a review thread about it then?
              Because I just heard other people complaining about this movie is anti-black. I mean it sounds interested at first but I just realised is there more to the story than I already know. Like, what's more, is there to know about Harriet Tubman?
              Last edited by Bartmanhomer; 04 Nov 2019, 18:02.

Comment

Not everyone knows about her. People like me, for instance, who didn't grow up in the states and therefore didn't learn about her in school. I've heard of her since but only from deliberately reading about her after hearing her name in passing conversation.
                Sneak Attack

Comment

Not everyone knows about her. People like me, for instance, who didn't grow up in the states and therefore didn't learn about her in school. I've heard of her since but only from deliberately reading about her after hearing her name in passing conversation.
                  Well I didn't know that. But now that you mention this I might watch this movie.

- - - Updated - - -

Well I didn't know that. But now that you mention this I might watch this movie.

Comment

The controversy, such that it is, isn't that the movie is anti-black (?). Its that the actress chosen for the title role may have been a poor choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Rhythm View Post
                      The controversy, such that it is, isn't that the movie is anti-black (?). Its that the actress chosen for the title role may have been a poor choice.
                      How was she a poor choice for the leading actress role? I really don't understand the controversy behind it.

Comment

She has a history of tweets dismissive to african american history and culture and experience, specifically the american portion of it, in some peoples opinion.

(it's always a history of tweets, anymore...maybe we should keep some thoughts to ourselves, lol)
                        Last edited by Rhythm; 05 Nov 2019, 09:02.

Comment

Originally posted by Rhythm View Post
                          She has a history of tweets dismissive to African American history and culture and experience, specifically the American portion of it, in some peoples opinion.

(it's always a history of tweets, anymore...maybe we should keep some thoughts to ourselves, lol)
                          Oh ok. Now I see the reason why she was a poor choice to choose the leading role.

Comment

From my understanding they also added in a bunch of really random, stupid, "why in the seven hells did you think this was a good idea, this literally never happened or would've happened--please share with the rest of us whatever drugs you're on" stuff like having the main antagonist be a black slave bounty hunter chasing after her, and having some white slave owner be the savior at the end of the day
                            Always taking art commissions, especially for fantasy and pagan related artwork
                            Featured on Deviantart, Storenvy, Facebook, and Cafepress
                            sigpic

Comment

Well...that's just good movie marketing.

Comment

Working...
                              X