Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What's The Purpose Of A Deity

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Eclectic Pagan
    Phrase
    Because I knew nothing, nothing was beneath me.

Re: What's The Purpose Of A Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    There are so much stuff in the Bible that I don't agree with since as LGBT, divination and other religion. I'm very open to so many things which the fundamentalist Christian don't. I just follow Christian values not from a Christian viewpoint.
    What are Christian values then if you're not following any Christian scripture?
    “They moaned and squealed, and pressed their snouts to the earth. We are sorry, we are sorry.
    Sorry you were caught, I said. Sorry that you thought I was weak, but you were wrong.”
    -Madeline Miller, Circe

There are so much stuff in the Bible that I don't agree with since as LGBT, divination and other religion. I'm very open to so many things which the fundamentalist Christian don't. I just follow Christian values not from a Christian viewpoint.
    Some time, then, it would seem. What was the top line conclusion you reached, when thinking about enjoyment in this life that might imperil your enjoyment of the next?

Sep 2015
    Religion
    Christian

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    What are Christian values then if you're not following any Christian scripture?
    God loves everybody. That's what I followed.

Jun 2015
    Religion
    Hellenic Polytheist

To me, that's a strange question. Obviously to say that something has a purpose implies that it was created to fulfill it. If we are talking about a supreme being, like the Christian God or Hindu Brahman, then it wasn't created and so cannot have a purpose. If we are talking about the gods of polytheism, then they will only have a purpose if they are the creation of either a supreme being or their worshipers. In the former case, the purposes of a creator are probably beyond our understanding. The latter idea I find foolish — it rejects religious experience in just the same way that any atheist does and with no more reason.

Sep 2015
    Religion
    Christian

Quote Originally Posted by DavidMcCann View Post
    To me, that's a strange question. Obviously to say that something has a purpose implies that it was created to fulfill it. If we are talking about a supreme being, like the Christian God or Hindu Brahman, then it wasn't created and so cannot have a purpose. If we are talking about the gods of polytheism, then they will only have a purpose if they are the creation of either a supreme being or their worshipers. In the former case, the purposes of a creator are probably beyond our understanding. The latter idea I find foolish — it rejects religious experience in just the same way that any atheist does and with no more reason.
    What's so strange about my question? I'm not the only person who follow a belief system questioned the deity purpose and intention in the world.

May 2012
    Religion
    Optimistic Agnostic
    Phrase
    Suspend Judgement

....And as for God is to be there for me.
    So, if God's sole purpose is to be there for you, does that make God the servant?

Sep 2015
    Religion
    Christian

Quote Originally Posted by Azvanna View Post
    So, if God's sole purpose is to be there for you, does that make God the servant?
    No that's the other way around.

May 2012
    Religion
    Optimistic Agnostic
    Phrase
    Suspend Judgement

No that's the other way around.
    So in summing up, you're alive to have a good time while the deity is alive to serve you. Yet somehow, you're also serving the deity...

How do you serve the deity and what need does the deity have of you? What is the deity wanting to achieve that it needs your service? What if having a good time on earth doesn't serve the deity at a particular point in time?
    Last edited by Azvanna; 21 Dec 2019 at 19:57.

Sep 2015
    Religion
    Christian

Quote Originally Posted by Azvanna View Post
    So in summing up, you're alive to have a good time while the deity is alive to serve you. Yet somehow, you're also serving the deity...How do you serve the deity and what need does the deity have of you? What is the deity wanting to achieve that it needs your service? What if having a good time on earth doesn't serve the deity at a particular point in time?
    You seems to be missing the point. I'm having a good time and serve my God at the same time. You're Christian yourself. How do you serve your God?

May 2012
    Religion
    Optimistic Agnostic
    Phrase
    Suspend Judgement

You seems to be missing the point. I'm having a good time and serve my God at the same time. You're Christian yourself. How do you serve your God?
    I don't think I am missing the point. You asked the question: What's the purpose of a deity.
    Then you said the purpose of the deity you believe in is to be there for you while you have a good time on earth.
    I'm just trying to shine some light on how self-centred that sounds. God is there for you while you have a good time... but is God interested only in you having a good time?
    I'm asking questions to prompt you to think deeper. Take it or leave it.