Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Who Are You Voting For This Year?

Re: Who Are You Voting For This Year?

That's using the term shady history in an awfully novel way, isn't it? A way that amplifies opposition messaging with the same semantics, but a more serious connotation.

All three are professional politicians. They've all voted for something or against something that a person is likely to disagree with. It's their job. Do we hear much about a garbageman with the shady history of taking out the trash?

From the outside looking in, as a non participator - wouldn't it be better to amplify liberal messaging together - rather than using opposition talking points in a circular firing squad?

Sep 2015
    Religion
    Christian

Quote Originally Posted by Rhythm View Post
    That's using the term shady history in an awfully novel way, isn't it? A way that amplifies opposition messaging with the same semantics, but a more serious connotation.

All three are professional politicians. They've all voted for something or against something that a person is likely to disagree with. It's their job. Do we hear much about a garbageman with the shady history of taking out the trash?

From the outside looking in, as a non-participator - wouldn't it be better to amplify liberal messaging together - rather than using opposition talking points in a circular firing squad?
    With all due respect, I want to vote the right nominee who fit and qualified to run as president rather than a nominee that has ulterior motive who might do more harm than good.
    Last edited by Bartmanhomer; 24 Jan 2020 at 08:09.

OFC. I must've communicated myself poorly. I was wondering if there were something other than having a history of voting on the wrong side of wedge issues (however the right or wrong side is defined, whatever the issue), something more.

Sep 2015
    Religion
    Christian

OFC. I must've communicated myself poorly. I was wondering if there were something other than having a history of voting on the wrong side of wedge issues (however the right or wrong side is defined, whatever the issue), something more.
    Your communication is fine. I'm just saying that there are two sides (positive and negative) on each nominee and judged to see if people feel if they qualified enough to vote.

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Eclectic Witch
    Phrase
    Move forward with purpose. -Sherillyn Kenyon

I think the biggest qualification for a president should be empathy and character. But those are hard to measure. I know they're things Trump lacks significantly, and I don't feel I've seen much evidence of it in Biden. But I don't know them, and it would take much more time than I have right now to figure it out. My main point was that blindly supporting a single candidate because you feel they have more experience shouldn't be the only determining factor. And looking at how they voted on those major issues can help you get a feel for their character.
    We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
    It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
    Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
    -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Sep 2015
    Religion
    Christian

Quote Originally Posted by Shahaku View Post
    I think the biggest qualification for a president should be empathy and character. But those are hard to measure. I know they're things Trump lacks significantly, and I don't feel I've seen much evidence of it in Biden. But I don't know them, and it would take much more time than I have right now to figure it out. My main point was that blindly supporting a single candidate because you feel they have more experience shouldn't be the only determining factor. And looking at how they voted on those major issues can help you get a feel for their character.
    Well I did my homework with everybody nominee and feel that Biden is more qualified than everybody else.

Warren: She secretly doesn't support the LGBT
    Sanders: He's sexist against women
    Buttigieg: He likes Chick-Fil-A food even though that franchise is Anti-LGBT and plus he's gay himself.

So I did all of my homework and analyze everybody else with the nominee so I feel like Biden is very qualified and competent to feel to need to vote for him.

The Gaze of the Abyss B. de Corbin's Avatar
    Feb 2007
    Religion
    Alchemist and Neo-American Redneck Buddhist
    Frozen Northern Michigan, near Thunder Bay
    Phrase
    Where are the tweezers?

I think the biggest qualification for a president should be empathy and character. But those are hard to measure. I know they're things Trump lacks significantly, and I don't feel I've seen much evidence of it in Biden. But I don't know them, and it would take much more time than I have right now to figure it out.
    Thing about looking for compassion and character is that they are most visible in their absence. You can safely assume that a person is of average compassion and character, unless they demonstrate otherwise (which is usually easily determined by listening to those who have have had dealings with that individual).

Unfortunately, it is much more difficult to identify people with high levels of compassion and character because A. those people seldom sing their own praises (in fact, doing so almost guarantees that compassion and character are lacking), and B. people forget mind actions quickly - unless they become close to the person, while had actions stick to your mind like a tick.

- - - Updated - - -

I think the biggest qualification for a president should be empathy and character. But those are hard to measure. I know they're things Trump lacks significantly, and I don't feel I've seen much evidence of it in Biden. But I don't know them, and it would take much more time than I have right now to figure it out.
    Thing about looking for compassion and character is that they are most visible in their absence. You can safely assume that a person is of average compassion and character, unless they demonstrate otherwise (which is usually easily determined by listening to those who have have had dealings with that individual).

Unfortunately, it is much more difficult to identify people with high levels of compassion and character because A. those people seldom sing their own praises (in fact, doing so almost guarantees that compassion and character are lacking), and B. people forget mind actions quickly - unless they become close to the person, while had actions stick to your mind like a tick.
    Those who have suffered understand suffering and therefore extend their hand.

I can't do everything, but I can do something.

The narrative of the ulterior motive has become a sort of political golem. It has no life of it's own. A person really can believe in horrible shit...and a person really can believe that the (to us) horrible shit that they espouse will make a positive difference.

Its not on account of "ulterior motives" or "shady history" that we might disagree with a person, we disagree because we think they are wrong. There is a very real cost to imagining that people or their positions are bad "because they are dishonest"..compared to "because we disagree with them".

So far, shady history and disingenuity have been used as euphemisms for political disagreement, in thread. Isn't it important to understand the distinction?
    Last edited by Rhythm; 25 Jan 2020 at 02:39.

Sep 2015
    Religion
    Christian

The narrative of the ulterior motive has become a sort of political golem. It has no life of its own. A person really can believe in horrible shit...and a person really can believe that the (to us) horrible shit that they espouse will make a positive difference.

It's not on account of "ulterior motives" or "shady history" that we might disagree with a person, we disagree because we think they are wrong. There is a very real cost to imagining that people or their positions are bad "because they are dishonest"..compared to "because we disagree with them".

So far, shady history and disingenuity have been used as euphemisms for political disagreement, in the thread. Isn't it important to understand the distinction?
    Well Well I already explained who I'm voting for so that's that
    Last edited by Bartmanhomer; 25 Jan 2020 at 05:37.

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Eclectic Witch
    Phrase
    Move forward with purpose. -Sherillyn Kenyon

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    Well Well I already explained who I'm voting for so that's that
    Then you don't have to continue replying to, or even reading, the thread.

The narrative of the ulterior motive has become a sort of political golem. It has no life of it's own. A person really can believe in horrible shit...and a person really can believe that the (to us) horrible shit that they espouse will make a positive difference.

Its not on account of "ulterior motives" or "shady history" that we might disagree with a person, we disagree because we think they are wrong. There is a very real cost to imagining that people or their positions are bad "because they are dishonest"..compared to "because we disagree with them".

So far, shady history and disingenuity have been used as euphemisms for political disagreement, in thread. Isn't it important to understand the distinction?
    I understand where you're coming from with this, but I do believe that some political stances and public quotes show a difference in character and morals that matter. Some things you just can't agree to disagree on.
    We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
    It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
    Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
    -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.