No announcement yet.

Kobe Bryant - Guilty of Rape (or not)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kobe Bryant - Guilty of Rape (or not)?

Ok, I just don't understand why so many people are persecuting and crucifying Kobe Bryant for being a rapist. He was never charged for any rape whatsoever and idiots are still saying that crap. Look I don't really care what everybody else thinks what Kobe did but he's no rapist. Leave him at peace already.

Re: The Rant Thread (v 1.2)

Because men in power have a tendency to get away with abusing that power. And being dead doesn't change the fact that he could have done those things. Doing those things also doesn't change his sports status and doesn't have to change anyone's opinion of him as an athlete. It should change people's opinion if him as a person.
    We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
    It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
    Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
    -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

Originally posted by Shahaku View Post
      Because men in power have a tendency to get away with abusing that power. And being dead doesn't change the fact that he could have done those things. Doing those things also doesn't change his sports status and doesn't have to change anyone's opinion of him as an athlete. It should change people's opinion if him as a person.
      And yet he was never convicted of that rape at all. I'm sick and tired of people always blame some celebrity for such asinine and bullcrap accusation and people play the victim for lies to get 15 minutes of fame. As I said I don't believe any of this so-called rape and I'm not going to jump the bandwagon and blame Kobe for such lies.
      Last edited by Bartmanhomer; 27 Jan 2020, 15:58.

Comment

Do you have any idea how rare false accusations are?
        We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
        It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
        Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.

Comment

Do you have any idea how rare false accusations are?
          No, tell me.

Comment

It's not just Kobe Bryant that has been accused of rape. There has been R. Kelly, which has had a document series. You can see it under Surviving R. Kelly. There are so many woman who have accounted for his abuse. There are also other higher-ups. Not just Kobe Bryant and R. Kelly. Like movie producers and such. No one I think is trying to make Kobe Bryant look bad, but you can't doubt those who are making it either. Sticking to one side isn't fair. I believe in innocent until proven guilty, but don't blame the accuser either. Let's not look back on the negative, let's pray that his family gets through the pain of losing their loved ones.
            Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

Originally posted by anubisa View Post
              It's not just Kobe Bryant that has been accused of rape. There has been R. Kelly, which has had a document series. You can see it under Surviving R. Kelly. There are so many woman who have accounted for his abuse. There are also other higher-ups. Not just Kobe Bryant and R. Kelly. Like movie producers and such. No one I think is trying to make Kobe Bryant look bad, but you can't doubt those who are making it either. Sticking to one side isn't fair. I believe in innocent until proven guilty, but don't blame the accuser either. Let's not look back on the negative, let's pray that his family gets through the pain of losing their loved ones.
              Oh I know that R. Kelly is guility for his crimes. I don't support R. Kelly in no way shape or form.

Comment

Originally posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
                No, tell me.
                Out of every 200 rapes, you may have 1 false allegation. Half a percent.

Comment

Out of every 200 rapes, you may have 1 false allegation. Half a percent.
                  Bullcrap.

Comment

That's going a little over the line. Women become victimized that they don't make any charges or say anything and when they finally do they are viewed as liars or making false allegations. This is ridiculous. Do not make the victims out to be enemies. We never can know what the situation is, but we cannot blame the victims.
                    Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

The price for reporting is brutal, and there is little guaranty that there is a conviction. I don't mean financial cost, although that can be a reality. It is the accusations of lying, the process of reliving trauma over again, of humiliation and having the most personal intimate details of your body and your life judged. Literally photographs of your body as evidence. Victim blaming is real. I've known many, many rape victims/survivors both personally and through professional work. Most did not chose to involve authorities, partly because of denial as a coping mechanism, and partly because they just want it over with and do not want to relive it or suffer the consequences of legal/police action. I have seen a number of people try to deal with it through their churches, or were children only given that option. This generally doesn't go so well for the victim either.

I absolutely believe that sometimes people lie about having been raped. But not anywhere near the number of people who don't report due to fear and shame and denial.

In the Kobe Bryant case, the woman who reported was something of a hero for coming forward, because it was unlikely that she would be treated with any respect accusing a sports hero. She was trash talked and outed everywhere. Eventually, she dropped criminal charges even though there was an unusually good supply of forensic evidence. She did pursue civil charges. Kobe Bryant himself publicly admitted that the incident had occurred. He claimed that he did not realize that she was not consenting. He apologized for causing her physical and emotional pain. He publicly stated that she was not in it for money or fame or revenge, but simply because she was traumatized and wanted justice. I saw this again yesterday and I know it was a legally agreed statement, but I can't help thinking that it is more than most people get now. There is nothing wrong with grieving what Kobe Bryant meant to you, but it doesn't mean he didn't do it.

I do think that as a society we are struggling with supporting an accuser and supporting rule of law and presumption of innocence at the same time. I guess it is just difficult for many people to hold two opposing ideals at the same time. It is also frustrating when we see public figures blatantly breaking the law and laughing at the idea of being held to justice.
                      Last edited by Prickly Pear; 28 Jan 2020, 15:10.

Comment

We've done the whole false accusation topic before. I don't have anything new to say since the topic was raised in 2018 so...

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
                        A bit late but

makes for an interesting read regarding false rape claims. It covers both their rarity and what they actually tend to look like when they happen. I encourage reading the whole thing but one interesting point is that false charges rarely go far

Originally posted by article
                        Furthermore, in the most detailed study ever conducted of sexual assault reports to police, undertaken for the British Home Office in the early 2000s, out of 216 complaints that were classified as false, only 126 had even gotten to the stage where the accuser lodged a formal complaint. Only 39 complainants named a suspect. Only six cases led to an arrest, and only two led to charges being brought before they were ultimately deemed false. (Here, as elsewhere, it has to be assumed that some unknown percentage of the cases classified as false actually involved real rapes; what they don’t involve is countless innocent men’s lives being ruined.)
                        This isn't to say that no one is ever convicted falsely of rape. Going off US stats, the National Registry of Exonerations records 52 people exonerated after a conviction of sexual assault. So people have been falsely convicted. Just remember that the Registry started in 1989. So that's 52 people exonerated after conviction in just shy of 30 years. By contrast, 790 people have been exonerated after convictions of murder in the same time period.
                        "It is not simply enough to know the light…a Jedi must feel the tension between the two sides of the Force…in himself and in the universe."
                        ―Thon

"When to the Force you truly give yourself, all you do expresses the truth of who you are,"

Yoda

Yoda told stories, and ate, and cried, and laughed: and the Padawans saw that life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Re: Kobe Bryant - Guilty of Rape (or not)?

This is now the new home for this discussion.
                          “Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.”
                          ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
                          Sneak Attack
                          Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

False accusations happen all the time especially celebrities. Even if Kobe did admit to having sexual interactions with her: It was consensual.

Comment

Please post some credible facts that back up your claim that false accusations happen all the time.
                              “Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.”
                              ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
                              Sneak Attack
                              Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

Working...
                              X