Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Called to the sword?

Originally posted by Muramasa View Post
    If you are obsessing over owning a sword without effort to learn how to use it properly, you are not much better than a weeb.
    That's a little rude. Not everyone has swords for fighting with. Swords are used in Wicca or Paganism for drawing a circle of protection at least in the ceremonial tradition. There are different uses for a sword and it is best to respect people for their uses of it.
    Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

Anubisa, thanks for the assist. Rythm, yes I tried. I am unfortunately medically disqualified from service. Muramasa, uh yeah I do intend to learn how to use one properly. The sword is not what I'm obsessing over. If I obsess over anything it's the dreams I've dreamt, the feelings I've felt, and the wholeness I feel when holding a blade.
      A few years ago my friends, brother, and I got some poly practice swords. I had slightly above average control of the thing and massively above average enthusiasm for the way it felt. My question wasn't exactly "Am I a weeb?" So much as "Does this connection that I've deemed sincere (through many hours of my own dedicated deliberation and meditation) hit home with anyone else?"

Comment

That's too bad. I bet you'd have really enjoyed bayonet courses.

In any case, if you have alot of positive mental associations with swords, right down to vividly fond memories of playing with your brother - it's a shoe in for a ritual prop. I think that you'd find alot of people stage objects like swords. I stage things like spears, bows, flowers, sharks teeth, antler, a small statue of a mother holding a child. I've even been known to cook a full meal and pour drinks.

The sincerity you feel is vastly more important than the object or other peoples appraisal of the object or goods. More important even than the stated reasons for that sincerity. It wouldn't matter why you felt the way you did, past lives or current social engineering. Take advantage of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Azoth View Post
          Anubisa, thanks for the assist. Rythm, yes I tried. I am unfortunately medically disqualified from service. Muramasa, uh yeah I do intend to learn how to use one properly. The sword is not what I'm obsessing over. If I obsess over anything it's the dreams I've dreamt, the feelings I've felt, and the wholeness I feel when holding a blade.
          A few years ago my friends, brother, and I got some poly practice swords. I had slightly above average control of the thing and massively above average enthusiasm for the way it felt. My question wasn't exactly "Am I a weeb?" So much as "Does this connection that I've deemed sincere (through many hours of my own dedicated deliberation and meditation) hit home with anyone else?"
          I'm curious, who said you had slightly above average control? If you didn't spar against a skilled / trained teacher then who is to say what skill / control you had. A self assessment really means nothing when rating a skill ability. Well other than how much injury you've inflicted upon yourself. Actually have never used a poly practice sword but have used the wooden ones. But to be honest, mentally having that metal blade was still different than a wooden one.

But all that aside perhaps your confusing the instrument with the pathway. The so called Warrior's path or calling with a particular instrument on that pathway. It's like you hear people in the military at times talk about there being three sorts in the military, The Professional Soldier, The Mercenary and the Warrior. The Merc of course is the person who does it strictly for money and nothing more. Sells their skills for the dollar, and may or may not serve in an established military or sell to the highest bidder. May have risen from the ranks of the Professional Soldier and trained themselves to be the best trained and most skilled in the art of battle and war capabilities. Yet that is their main calling the art of war and battle and that is what their skill set is all about. Then the Warrior, they train for war and battle and are good at it but it is not their main focus. They train more to be prepared for it but prefer to avoid it if possible for they know the true cost of it. But once engaged they fully embrace it until finished.

But I also admit the lines between all three can blur real easy. In many ways it's more the ethics and morality of each group that separates them. Each has a different mindset and worldview they tend to operate under and lens they see through.

For example I spent basically 24 years in the Navy. The mindset on subs and the way things operated was you greatly depended on each person to do their job. A failure at any point during a casualty could result in all of our deaths. Yet on a surface ship it was different and the crews interaction was different. Yes you depended on each other but we didn't have to know the ship and its systems the same as on the sub to survive. On shore still different from that. One place I was part of a ground defense team and manned a position with a M-14 rifle. Another higher ranked and had a 9mm pistol. Yet others at those same commands would never touch any weapon.

What did all those have in common? Each one required hours of contemplation about what could happen, how I would respond, alternate ways I could respond. Scenario after scenario after scenario played over and over to prepare for what might be. Time spent on the firing range with the M-14 and 9MM to qualify or re-qualify / maintain. Hours and hours spent learning shipboard systems initially then refresher training to stay up to date on them. That not even taking into consideration being evaluated / tested by my peer group to ensure my knowledge was up to par and correct / current.

Going back to the swords I saw you like the double edged swords. I find the Scottish Claymore is a fine sword with a double edge. An 11 Dirk made a good side piece to go with it in my opinion. I happen to like them because of my Scottish ancestry. The claymore is sort of plain looking but is still a sturdy and nice looking sword in my opinion.

Anyway, there is a difference between connecting to the instrument and connecting to the pathway. A hammer might feel good in my hand but it doesn't make me a carpenter.
          I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Azoth, I can't tell you anything about why you might be drawn to the sword, but I can understand your feelings. I am also extra-ordinarily find of swords, crow's beaks, quarter staff, daggers, and suchlike. I also have a pretty good assortment of guns, ranging from muzzleloader, up to an SKS, and I shoot 'em a lot.

And I've never been in the military, either, nor can I imagine ever wanting to be. I never really relished the idea of being Viet Nam cannon fodder.

What I have found is that learning to use one's body to accomplish difficult tasks is a pleasure for anyone who tried it. It might be hand-eye-breath control of shooting, or going through a practice sword session. It can be knitting, dancing, raising plants... You just have to find the one that suits, and maybe (again, I dunno why) the sword is the thing for you.

P.S. Get your stuff from kultofathena.com. Buy the best quality you can.
            Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

I think owning some weapons, for the symbolic aspect of it is part of the accomplishment of a part of your ego, a need for transition into higher spheres.

If you feel the urge or the need to satisfaction, and it is genuine, well follow it because it is true. However do not contemplate 'owning' as a finality, each experience only opens new doors in this world, it never sends you to a resting/satisfactory place until death.

Comment

Working...
              X