It Is Impossible To Post Here....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It Is Impossible To Post Here....

I was really excited when I found this forum this morning - but now I am just flat out discouraged - it is IMPOSSIBLE to post - in every section all but a few threads are locked - and the few that are open when you go to post in them you get a warning that they are over 30 days old to beware - I have literally been reduced to discussing shampoo - it's very apparent that they just don't want people to post - a warning not to post because a thread is 30 days old? really?

I spent hours going through threads and reading them - the admin here posted that it commonplace to lock old threads - that is just not true - not even remotely - I was a mod of a forum that had over a million users and we never locked threads - I am a member of numerous forums all gay in nature and not one of the sites locks threads - it doesn't even remotely make sense - why would you discourage posting ? If it is relevant to just one person than that is enough - then it serves the community - newsflash: there is no conspiracy to troll the forum by needlessly bumping older threads - people bump threads because the subject matter is relevant to them - the prior people interested still have an interest but they do not have an interest in creating a new thread on prior subjects and hashing through what has already been said - they have an interest in what may be new insights into the subject which is an ADDITION to the the pre-existing discussion...

major fail

Re: It Is Impossible To Post Here....

If you want to talk about something, feel free to start a post.

Each group has its own rules, and own customs. Respect.

When in Rome...
    Last edited by B. de Corbin; 26 Sep 2020, 14:52.
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by CottonIchor View Post
      I was a mod of a forum that had over a million users and we never locked threads
      As a general rule of the net, no one cares what you are on another message board unless they interact with you on that board. Sometimes boards take inspiration from each other but your credentials on a different board are meaningless when you venture outside that board.

- I am a member of numerous forums all gay in nature and not one of the sites locks threads - it doesn't even remotely make sense - why would you discourage posting ?
      Because the problem those measures were instituted to solve was annoying the collective staff. An argument could be made that the measures undertaken have caused more long term harm than ignoring the original problem but you aren't actually making that case. You are attacking straw men instead of asking why policies are in place.

If it is relevant to just one person than that is enough - then it serves the community
      Your opinion is noted. I will not ever be adopting this slogan as an actual standard for judging a thread. Thal and Juni may disagree but I seriously doubt it.

- newsflash: there is no conspiracy to troll the forum by needlessly bumping older threads
      Correct and irrelevant. Neither the warnings nor the six month autolocks exist to prevent trolling. They exist because people don't read post dates and rez topics that all of the original participants have moved on from. The thirty day warning means that if I ask for advice on a decision that I need to make in two weeks then a random new poster who wants to give advice three months from now gets a notification that I've probably already made the decision I was asking advice on and that further commentary is not necessary. The six month autolock means that staff get a chance to look at a five year dead topic where half the original posters have left, one is literally dead and two to three have completely changed their positions before that thread revives with someone attempting to argue with an individual who hasn't logged in for three years or is literally dead and we've mourned their loss. We answer troll conspiracies with banhammers. Forcing people to jump through hoops is our way of making people slow down and think about what they're doing.
      life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

We do not discourage posting here. In fact, we encourage it. Many of our conversations are old, yes, and therefore locked, but if you contact an admin or a mod (myself included), we will happily re-open a thread for you. Better yet, restart the thread, and start a fresh conversation about the topic at hand. Some of us have been here over a decade, and it is painful for us to re-open threads with deceased members activity in them.

We are happy to generate discussion - some of us have known each other a very, very long time and we've run through all the 'pagan' things to talk about. Happy to re-discuss things with a fresh face, though.

Mostly art.

Comment

Working...
        X