Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have you ever encountered a Cryptid Creature?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have you ever encountered a Cryptid Creature?

Sort of a curiosity question.

Have you ever encountered what might be classified as a Cryptid Creature? Within the Occult / pagan community it's not uncommon to hear people talk about "encounters" with the Fae, demons, daemons, divinities, etc. But how many have had encounters with so called cryptid creatures?

Not even asking for proof of encounters just people saying if they have had what they believe to have been encounters.

I live in a more wilderness section of West Virginia and we have a few sections of National Forest as well. Granted not as wilderness as some areas but still no big urban areas or major cities near me. Pretty much live at the base of a mountain that is part of a ridge line that is one wall of mountains. For as populated as we are go a bit south as the population drops drastically and the forest and mountains get even more rugged and dense. 7 years ago we lived a bit further south which is where most of my "encounters" occurred though 1 "encounter" has occurred where I now live.

All my "encounters" have been with what you would call Bigfoot type creatures. They've consisted of everything from tree knocking's to being in the middle of a group of them. Included my son and nephew watching one across the field from our house come out of the tree line before it goes back into the tree's. Being in the group was both strange and interesting in that there was something else there as well as the bigfoot creature but I have no idea what it was. But that night we never realized there was one right behind us until we walked away and it followed us down the hillside and into the lower field.

Heard all sorts of screams and tree knockings while we lived in that area. Ironically though I never felt scared or threatened when I walked in the woods there. I often walked in the woods there and spent hours on end at a time, alone and with my dog.

Never saw one myself but others have seen and recorded a large cat like creature in the same general area. The largest cat like creature I personally saw was a cougar as it stalked a deer one morning. Yet the creature that was videoed was a black cat not a cougar.

So anyone else ever see a Cryptid type creature?
    I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Re: Have you ever encountered a Cryptid Creature?

So... there was once that I saw a face peeking over the overflow well in the middle if the pond at the apartments where we lived. It freaked me out. This thing was at least 2-3 feet into the pond, and it looked like a drowned undine or something.

And there was one time I didn't see anything, but my phone got hidden under a pile of dishes, in the garbage disposal, and that pile of dishes had been there for days (we were and still often are terrible about house chores). I blame the fae.

And I've had experiences that I've considered ghostly encounters. There was one time a cart moved at work, stopped twice, and switched directions before moving a few more feet. I totally blame that on hospital ghosts. And I had some weird ghostly encounters after messing with a ouija board in my preteens.

So... yeah.
    We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
    It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
    Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
    -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

I've run into dogs in appalachia that I would have called wolves and been called crazy, and was called crazy - but it turns out that they've been working with coyotes to fill that empty space, so.

Im building a little fence right now, to stop wolves from eating my chickens - and that would sound absurd if you took the official line that there are no wolves here...but, otoh, the first legit wolf in 200 years was spotted (and shot) just a few miles away. We hear them. Their food is here. Their home is here. The dead bodies of my chickens are incontestable.

The really interesting factoid, is that the one they shot wasn't a member of the western reintro pop. It didn't have the genes. Wherever it was from and wherever they've been hiding for two centuries - it was a native. I suspect that the elk tag program is the cause. There were always a few left somewhere in the danny boon, but we only notice now when we've rehabilitated the prey species pop.

I doubt that anyone has ever had a run-in with bigfoot, but when the question surrounds whether anyone (and who, where)has had an experience with potential cryptids in general..I wonder, who hasn't? I think that's why belief in mythical and legendary beasts persists, ultimately.

- - - Updated - - -

-so I wont accept any shit from my kids..when I tell them what kind of clothes they have to wear to walk to grannies...that there are no wolves. They can stow it. I know there are. The dog kind and the people kind.
      Last edited by Rhythm; 10 Dec 2020, 10:17.

Comment

Not real creatures, but I have 'seen' stuff. Most of the time I see something is when I experience sleep paralysis. Meaning I wake up at night and can't move my body, lasts about a minute. During that time I always hallucinate the most creative monsters my mind can think of and I can see them standing near my bed. Ghosts, aliens, demons, cloaked creatures, growling dogs, you name it.

I've only had one real encounter also witnessed by others. Not on Earth, but in the sky at night. Me and a few friends were sitting in the garden and then one of them pointed up to the sky "what the hell is that?" We saw a round, white light floating in the sky in a straight line. It wasn't going fast. The same speed as you'd see a plane flying. It was there for about 5 minutes. It seemed to slow down at the end and then it just disappeared instantly. One of my friends filmed it and tried to analyze it with his video editing tools afterwards, but still couldn't see what it was by zooming in and stuff. I don't believe intelligent alien life exists. At least not close enough to Earth to visit us. They would have shown themselves or made official first contact by now if there were any. So maybe military? Or just another natural phenomenon we're not aware of?
        Last edited by Eleanor; 12 Dec 2020, 02:02.

Comment

Originally posted by Shahaku View Post
          So... there was once that I saw a face peeking over the overflow well in the middle if the pond at the apartments where we lived. It freaked me out. This thing was at least 2-3 feet into the pond, and it looked like a drowned undine or something.

And there was one time I didn't see anything, but my phone got hidden under a pile of dishes, in the garbage disposal, and that pile of dishes had been there for days (we were and still often are terrible about house chores). I blame the fae.

And I've had experiences that I've considered ghostly encounters. There was one time a cart moved at work, stopped twice, and switched directions before moving a few more feet. I totally blame that on hospital ghosts. And I had some weird ghostly encounters after messing with a ouija board in my preteens.

So... yeah.
          Being in the Navy I've heard and seen some strange things out at sea. Some are weird sounding such as whale cries at night. Other's just sort of odd or mystical such as the glowing wake stretching out for miles behind your ship but your ship is completely rigged for dark so no lights. The occasional dark shape that follows in your ship's wake or passes next to you. Saw a shark do that in the green waters of the Mara Mara Sea that made it look gigantic. Then occasionally something and the person or people next to you say "no you didn't and neither did we!" when you ask did they see that.

Ghost though never really considered them to be cryptids. Seen a few of them myself. Used to hate certain wings of hospitals and hospices because of it. When my late Father-in-Law was in hospice for his final days I made the comment about how many "spirits" kept passing the door to the waiting room. My Sister-in-Law by marriage looks over at me and comments "your seeing them to". I disliked that place especially when he got really close because the veil was opening in the back of the room and I knew his Mother was there waiting for him. He was talking to her and I could hear some of her words to him. Yet not open enough for him to cross and he hadn't fully let go yet.

We used to live in an older house that also served as a Poor Farm at one time. It had its fair share of restless spirits about the property that formerly made it up. Quite a few manifestations on that property that were seen by various people. The house had been built in 1880 but the earlier house had been built in 1851. All that remained of the 1851 house was some parts used in the 1880 house and some of the old graveyard and stonework. The Poor Farm main house was built in the 1910 / 1920 period and was attached to the 1880 house by a breezeway. On many an occasion you'd hear someone walking on the breezeway. My wife and one of my son's friends saw a man manifest from the waist up on the front steps as a misty form. My youngest son came out of the bathroom (1880 house) and there was a young girl standing before him at the top of the stairs. He closed the door opened it again and she was gone. We've heard a woman sing songs to our grandchildren at night over the baby monitor. I've been mowing the grass and had an older / elderly man stand in the field and watch me. The disenbodied voice that calls your name, both inside the house and outside. When we were moving out my eldest son was staying there the final few nights and he had a voice tell him to get out.

But if land and spirits can go sour that place did. The final year we were there the land seemed hostile. We started to find a lot of deer bodies in the woods. A lot of the rodents that used to be there, ie rabbits, ground hogs, etc pretty much vanished, even the feral cats vanished. The final two weeks the water pipes to the house shattered and we had no water but had to bring it down by hand from a spring. We had rented there for 14 years when we moved.

Yet it's also sort of ironic for we moved on the last possible day. Found a place to move to on that day. Got our dogs into a kennel at half price and able to keep all of them together. Unfortunately we did lose one at the kennel and had to put one down due to age. But lived in a trailer for 6 months then bought the house we've lived in for the last 7 years. The dog we put down we had been trying to avoid it but he wouldn't have survived the kennel. We had to carry him in and out of the house and he could only walk short distances. We knew he didn't have long left with us but didn't want to let him go either.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Rhythm View Post
          I've run into dogs in appalachia that I would have called wolves and been called crazy, and was called crazy - but it turns out that they've been working with coyotes to fill that empty space, so.

Im building a little fence right now, to stop wolves from eating my chickens - and that would sound absurd if you took the official line that there are no wolves here...but, otoh, the first legit wolf in 200 years was spotted (and shot) just a few miles away. We hear them. Their food is here. Their home is here. The dead bodies of my chickens are incontestable.

The really interesting factoid, is that the one they shot wasn't a member of the western reintro pop. It didn't have the genes. Wherever it was from and wherever they've been hiding for two centuries - it was a native. I suspect that the elk tag program is the cause. There were always a few left somewhere in the danny boon, but we only notice now when we've rehabilitated the prey species pop.

I doubt that anyone has ever had a run-in with bigfoot, but when the question surrounds whether anyone (and who, where)has had an experience with potential cryptids in general..I wonder, who hasn't? I think that's why belief in mythical and legendary beasts persists, ultimately.

- - - Updated - - -

-so I wont accept any shit from my kids..when I tell them what kind of clothes they have to wear to walk to grannies...that there are no wolves. They can stow it. I know there are. The dog kind and the people kind.
          Wouldn't surprise me about the wolves. In our area they introduced Fisher Cats as an option as well as other things. The Fisher's compete with the other small predators. A few area's the Fisher's have really reproduced so people who live there talk about them quite a bit. Don't know if they go for the chicken population but we have a number of farmers who raise chickens / turkeys for the local poultry plants. They use the houses but if they could find a way to get inside i'm sure they'd be an issue.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Eleanor View Post
          Not real creatures, but I have 'seen' stuff. Most of the time I see something is when I experience sleep paralysis. Meaning I wake up at night and can't move my body, lasts about a minute. During that time I always hallucinate the most creative monsters my mind can think of and I can see them standing near my bed. Ghosts, aliens, demons, cloaked creatures, growling dogs, you name it.

I've only had one real encounter also witnessed by others. Not on Earth, but in the sky at night. Me and a few friends were sitting in the garden and then one of them pointed up to the sky "what the hell is that?" We saw a round, white light floating in the sky in a straight line. It wasn't going fast. The same speed as you'd see a plane flying. It was there for about 5 minutes. It seemed to slow down at the end and then it just disappeared instantly. One of my friends filmed it and tried to analyze it with his video editing tools afterwards, but still couldn't see what it was by zooming in and stuff. I don't believe intelligent alien life exists. At least not close enough to Earth to visit us. They would have shown themselves or made official first contact by now if there were any. So maybe military? Or just another natural phenomenon we're not aware of?
          We've got a major flight path into D.C. that goes over the mountain rage. So we always see planes coming and going. Yet sometimes you'll see lights along the ridgelines and mountain tops that do not act like planes. Crazy flight paths or angles of flight for them. Seen them blink on and off. SOmetimes you swear they are stars or something then they start to move and suddenly change direction.

Sometimes you think UFO, other times you wonder if it's another navigation exercise as we have a lot of low level training flights. Still seen them in ones, two's and groups of three's. Yellow lights, white lights, red lights and a few times orange lights.

Crazy things about living in the mountains where there are not a lot of city lights reflecting off the night sky. You tend to see all sorts of crazy things.
          I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

I've had an encounter with a shadow person but no sightings of anything cryptid related thus far.

Comment

Working...
            X