Landvaettr

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Landvaettr

I am fortunate to inherit our family's ancestral farm. It isn't much really, 54 acres of pasture, barns and woods. My dad ran it as a cattle interest, but later we turned to poultry. We always farmed responsibly and sustainably, now even more so. One of my favorite features of this property is the woodland, which we keep wild, but manage. There are actually two distinct 'forests'. One is on higher ground with plenty of hardwoods and conifers, the other has a spring and some swampy element with softwoods and vines. We are of Germanic descent, mostly Danish and Swedish, but with some Scottish tossed in. I really want to form a relationship with the land spirits here. I wonder if I should take the Norse Landvaettr approach, or lean toward the Scottish Fae traditions in this. I am not sure how to determine if each forest has it's own spirit, or if the farm itself is a sort of gestalt spiritual energy.
    Thoughts?
    Opinions?

Re: Landvaettr

Ask the land. If it cares, it will tell you.
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Sagefire View Post
      ...I wonder if I should take the Norse Landvaettr approach, or lean toward the Scottish Fae traditions in this...
      Both, and include honoring the native spirits of the land...
      I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and CountryTribe of my Tribe
      Clan of my Clan
      Kin of my Kin
      Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
      And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.

Comment

Sounds like a great location! I'd say do whatever seems best, or try both. Local daemons and spirits should be honored according to their desires and personalities, like any other god. Until you can figure out how they want to be revered, I'd do generic offerings.
        Circe

Comment

Best advice is to be expressive and stay open. I spent a lot of time imposing what I thought I would prefer, or would make the most linear sense. It was good for spiritual growth I suppose, but bad for authentic connection.

Ive found once you spend enough time in a space thoghtfully walking, sitting, listening, watching, and experiencing you will better understand where you are, and often can find a path to contribute.

Comment

All great advice. I want the wooded areas to be healthy and prolific, I maintain the growth of native magical and medicinal plants plants in these areas because I believe that they become more powerful if they are allowed to flourish in their own environment. The farm itself has always been maintained in the typical Norse and Scottish fashions, with the buildings, animals, orchard and food crops receiving blessing and protection in a blend of traditional methods with reasonable success. My plan is to offer the medicine and magic growing in the woods to others around me as a gift, not a profit venture. I think that accord with these energies would be far more advantageous than hostility!

Comment

I love it.

I myself have recently started providing some of the flowers and herbs from my gardens to a few of the covens/group locally. I'm very fortunate to live about thirty minutes from the Casadaga spiritualist camp. There's an absolute need for that sort of thing, and I think what you have planned is great.

Comment

I am also gathering large stones to erect a circle out on our eastern pasture hidden from view. I would like to eventually offer these spaces for outdoor ritual and sabbats. We have enough room to also venue festivals and gatherings.

Comment

Don't forget pagan weddings.

Add a couple sugar-shacks for followup activities.
                  Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

My Dad and I built a gypsy vardo some years back, guess we could rent that out...

Comment

Working...
                    X