Afghanistan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Afghanistan

I was a senior in high school when Saigon fell. Sometimes I feel like we're in an endless loop of war, retreat, war again. I think the Taliban are going to become Putin's problem soon - they want to take over the entire world and someone's going to have to stand up to them. Trump had wanted to pull our troops out by May, if he'd been re-elected, so Biden didn't really do anything too different. 20 years is long enough to "nation-build" - this mess goes back through Bush 2, Obama, Trump, and now Biden. Well, actually, Reagan kinda got the wheels in motion. I hate to sound like a broken record but an awful lot of things end up back on Reagan's head.

I wish all the women & children could get the heck out of there. That's who I'm worried about.
    sigpic
    Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Re: Afghanistan

Oy!

I hate being old enough to see the endlessly repeating patterns.
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkfeathers View Post
      I was a senior in high school when Saigon fell. Sometimes I feel like we're in an endless loop of war, retreat, war again. I think the Taliban are going to become Putin's problem soon - they want to take over the entire world and someone's going to have to stand up to them. Trump had wanted to pull our troops out by May, if he'd been re-elected, so Biden didn't really do anything too different. 20 years is long enough to "nation-build" - this mess goes back through Bush 2, Obama, Trump, and now Biden. Well, actually, Reagan kinda got the wheels in motion. I hate to sound like a broken record but an awful lot of things end up back on Reagan's head.

I wish all the women & children could get the heck out of there. That's who I'm worried about.
      Putin is gonna be a lot less ethical about who dies in that process... But you're probably right. Weird when he feels like the lesser evil, huh. I'm steering clear of the news today. It's not gonna be pretty
      You remind me of the babe
      What babe?
      The babe with the power
      What power?
      The Power of voodoo
      Who do?
      You do!
      Do what?
      Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Comment

Don't think Putin will play there, Russia has already been through that story line. Not to say he may not "support" whomever is the leading power player.

The problem I think is the West (to include Russia) is we look at the place as a country but its all tribes. Feuds going back as far as time itself. They may have "religion" but they also have "tribal" lineage and that trumps religion at times for revenge and justice.
        I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
          Oy!

I hate being old enough to see the endlessly repeating patterns.
          It seems that as we get older, our internal focus zooms out from macro to wide angle.
          sigpic
          Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

china is there for the "rare earth" stuff and will cover the taliban to get what they want,so china will hold sway there for many years
            MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
            NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
            don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
            http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

As a veteran OEF, and OIF, and GWoT Veteran my heart is absolutely shattered for the people of Afghanistan, and the upstanding folks I served with.

At the end of the day anyone who set foot in that part of the world in the last 50 years has been a pawn in an insatiable blood thirsty struggle for global influence.

I'd like to say I've felt the weight of the world these past few days, but it feels more like a black hole.

Comment

Call somebody fill me in on what's going on in Afghanistan! I stop watching the news a long time ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
                  Call somebody fill me in on what's going on in Afghanistan! I stop watching the news a long time ago.
                  The so-called "Afghan government" packed up their booty and fled to the UAE, abandoning the entire region to the Taliban.
                  Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

That really upsets me. The people need them and they just run off. What a bunch of cowards.
                    Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

Originally posted by anubisa View Post
                      That really upsets me. The people need them and they just run off. What a bunch of cowards.
                      I don't think they were particularly interested in being a goobermint. They were, however, interested in sucking money from the U.S. and our allies for their retirement-in-exile.

Comment

Working...
                      X