Most dangerous myth/story & why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most dangerous myth/story & why?

In your opinion, what is the most dangerous* myth, story, tale, folklore, ect. for us (or maybe you) humans, and why do you say that?

* for those of you who are more focused and engaged than the statistical norm suggests, the similarity of this post to another I just made may seem jarring; however, if you have made it this far, you are also probably also aware that it ain't all the holy schnitz out there, there's piles of dirt surrounding every gold nugget, so you might as well flash the downs while you expose the ups.
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Re: Most dangerous myth/story & why?

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
    In your opinion, what is the most dangerous* myth, story, tale, folklore, ect. for us (or maybe you) humans, and why do you say that?

* for those of you who are more focused and engaged than the statistical norm suggests, the similarity of this post to another I just made may seem jarring; however, if you have made it this far, you are also probably also aware that it ain't all the holy schnitz out there, there's piles of dirt surrounding every gold nugget, so you might as well flash the downs while you expose the ups.

Nobody bit at this one, so I'll raise it from de dead.

In my opinion, there is a particular strain of foolish that finds it's origins in religion, but cross-contamination slips it's evil aroma into politics, human relationships, and even the food we eat and the hair we cut.

So what is this horrid, fetid, rotting philosophy of doodoo?

Very simple: The Myth of the Golden Age.

The irrational belief (for those of us who are aware of history) that there was some time in the past where everything was RIGHT, people were where they belonged on the steppes or in the jungle, men were strong and proud, women were all slender and foxy (but also fierce when protecting children), nobody questioned the beliefs of the tribe, ANF harmony guided the planets...

But then... It all went to hell because somebody dissed da gods, and we've been sinking in our own garbage ever since.

Do I need to explain why this belief is destructive?
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Nobody bit at this one, so I'll raise it from de dead.

In my opinion, there is a particular strain of foolish that finds it's origins in religion, but cross-contamination slips it's evil aroma into politics, human relationships, and even the food we eat and the hair we cut.

So what is this horrid, fetid, rotting philosophy of doodoo?

Very simple: The Myth of the Golden Age.

The irrational belief (for those of us who are aware of history) that there was some time in the past where everything was RIGHT, people were where they belonged on the steppes or in the jungle, men were strong and proud, women were all slender and foxy (but also fierce when protecting children), nobody questioned the beliefs of the tribe, ANF harmony guided the planets...

But then... It all went to hell because somebody dissed da gods, and we've been sinking in our own garbage ever since.

Do I need to explain why this belief is destructive?
      I guess, I'll summon the other side of this myth.

DOOM!!!!

We have fallen so far from the Golden Age, society is has degraded so much that we're all f-ed for one reason or another, there's no escape any longer...

WE'RE DOOMED!!!

I rarely encounter DOOM!!! without an attached Golden Age myth but the two don't have to go together.

For a slightly more damaging myth, "I'm obviously right, therefore my opponent has some vile conspiracy against me." Assuming malice whenever there's significant disagreement makes working with other people difficult.
      life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

I'd agree with you, except that you are obviously evil
        & corrupt.

Comment

I'd agree with you, except that you are obviously evil
          & corrupt.
          I'm tempted to argue that mortals wouldn't know what corruption looks like in eldritch horrors but most horrors might find my fondness for pizza to out of place. I'm leaving the charge of evil alone.
          life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

the myth that you can pull yourself up from absolute poverty just by your boot heels
            MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
            NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
            don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
            http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

That any given person or group was beloved or hated by the gods.

Comment

Working...
              X