Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Tech Thread (or I'ma gonna break my computer or else!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Tech Thread (or I'ma gonna break my computer or else!)

So tech questions of all sorts. Post 'em here.

My problem. For about a week or so I've been having issues with my Win7 real media player 12. I do alot of podcast downloads. When I go to open my media player two things happen. 1) I get a white page and it never loads to the skin. 2) Or it takes FOREVER and eventually it will open up. Once that is dealt with..it's all ok. I did notice today that if I go to administrator mode, it opens instantly when I click. Any problems you see me having?
    Satan is my spirit animal

Re: The Tech Thread (or I'ma gonna break my computer or else!)

Any other symptoms? Has this been around since you got the computer? Did it start at a recent upgrade, or seemingly for no reason?

I don't know what all else is tied in with Windows Media, but I suspect Internet Explorer is still a part of it. CCleaner is free, and will help ya quickly and easily empty out the temporary files of almost any application - especially Internet Explorer and Windows Media Player. Here's the install file.

Next, we've got to clean out that registry. Did 7 come with Windows media at version 12? If not, you're likely to have some registry garbage left behind from some other things. CCleaner has a registry cleaner too, that's easy to find and use as well. If you're well protected, its likely to be temp files or user-related registry junk holding you up.

Run CCleaner's registry cleaner after every time you install, uninstall, or update anything - Microsoft really should be more careful with their registry, but such is life. Run the temporary files cleaner on a regular basis.

If this doesn't solve it, we can mark those simple things off the list.

May I inquire as to what firewall and antivirus you're using?
    "A true initiation never ends"-Robert Anton Wilson
    http://www.hermetic.com/crowley
    "Reality has become a commodity"-Stephen Colbert 1/29/07
    http://www.chaosmatrix.org/
    "Sometimes, when you can't breathe, there are people there to breathe for you" - Aesop Rock
    http://upholdingmaat.wordpress.com

Comment

Apparently I also had two bad start ups. So I just let the windows fixer thingy restore to an earlier point. I have no idea what the problem was. But it's all fine now. Totally weird.:yesss:

Comment

Ok, I need some help since my bf is MIA despite his insistence I install this...*string of expletives*

I'm having a problem with my dvd player on my laptop not working. I installed the new drivers and it worked fine until Azazel decided I should switch antiviruses. Now the thing won't read ANY DVD I put in there and may have even chewed one up. If anyone can help me I'd really appreciate it.
        my etsy store
        My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
        surrounded by plush, downy things,
        ill prepared, but willing,
        to descend."

Comment

Hmm. I wonder if you can look at your antivirus program and open it. Check to see what programs it's blocking. I had this problem with Norton and my msn messenger not allowing anything to be shared coming in or out. Found out it had set that program on default and not allow anything in.

Comment

Thank you for the input. I tried that, but it seems no luck. I'm about to cry because I have no idea what's going on and now I can't watch movies with Azazel
            my etsy store
            My blog

to descend."

Comment

The problem is momentarily solved. I finally called tech support and after stupefying the guy they're sending me a new drive. It's just nice to know that I didn't break it somehow.
              my etsy store
              My blog

to descend."

Comment

Awhile back, on the previous incarnation of the post-crash forum, I asked about a pen-style wireless mouse, & someone replied that they had indeed seen one. It started with the letter 'U' followed by a string of numbers - the Uxxx Ultra or something like that. If anyone has access to those old threads, or remembers the conversation, could you please point me to the right device again?

Oops, nm, found it - the Ultra U12-40871 eXo Bluetooth Wireless Pen Mouse.
                Last edited by Ophidia; 10 Feb 2011, 15:41.
                The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

I'm in looks for a new mp3 player. The one I have (and I love) is the sandisk 2gb pink one. I've seen the new ones with 8gb and you can watch movies on a 3 inch screen etc. I've been thinking of getting a 4gb because I really want to put my entire nin, manson and tool collections on it. Any suggestions on what I should be aware of in general? Should I spend the extra money and just go for the 8G?

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
                    I'm in looks for a new mp3 player. The one I have (and I love) is the sandisk 2gb pink one. I've seen the new ones with 8gb and you can watch movies on a 3 inch screen etc. I've been thinking of getting a 4gb because I really want to put my entire nin, manson and tool collections on it. Any suggestions on what I should be aware of in general? Should I spend the extra money and just go for the 8G?
                    If you are just looking for a cheaper replacement for your current Sandisk MP3 you could look at their SanDisk Sansa Fuze. The Fuze's memory can be expanded by using Micro SD card. For example, if you get a 4 gig Fuze and decided its not enough room you could double or tripple its memory size for a relatively low price (i found 4 gig cards for 7 to 8 bucks, and 8 gig cards for anything from 13 to 19 bucks).

Fuze MP3 player

Micro SD cards

Otherwise I'd pretty much suggest an iPod touch if your willing to spend the money.

Comment

Yeah I think I want to stay with my Sandisk.

In other crappy news...the media player issue is back. Seems it happens (i think) when I attempt to sync my mp3. I've also noticed it's been happening since I've been using the once unused usb port on the left side of my laptop. I've always used the ones on the right side. Didn't even know I had 3. I mean I open the media player and it load forever. So then I have to go into task manager and close it manually. Then when I go to open it..I just have to try to open in and wait a few minutes before it opens on its own. I have no idea what's going on. Grr...

Comment

That third usb port tends to not put out the voltage necessary to power *every* device on it's own, at least not properly. A webcam or plain flashdrive will usually work well in that slot. A regular spinning hard drive can suck too much juice. My hand-me-down GPS won't work on my 3rd port.

This is why some external hard drives come with cables that have 2 plugs for going into your computer. If the problem persists, reserve that port for something that also plugs into a wall or a lower power device.

If the task manager is that slow, I still stand by the CCleaner / MyDefrag combo.
                        "A true initiation never ends"-Robert Anton Wilson
                        http://www.hermetic.com/crowley
                        "Reality has become a commodity"-Stephen Colbert 1/29/07
                        http://www.chaosmatrix.org/
                        "Sometimes, when you can't breathe, there are people there to breathe for you" - Aesop Rock
                        http://upholdingmaat.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
                          Yeah I think I want to stay with my Sandisk.

In other crappy news...the media player issue is back. Seems it happens (i think) when I attempt to sync my mp3. I've also noticed it's been happening since I've been using the once unused usb port on the left side of my laptop. I've always used the ones on the right side. Didn't even know I had 3. I mean I open the media player and it load forever. So then I have to go into task manager and close it manually. Then when I go to open it..I just have to try to open in and wait a few minutes before it opens on its own. I have no idea what's going on. Grr...
                          Solution? Switch to iTunes.

Mostly art.

Comment

Originally posted by AzazelEblis View Post
                            That third usb port tends to not put out the voltage necessary to power *every* device on it's own, at least not properly. A webcam or plain flashdrive will usually work well in that slot. A regular spinning hard drive can suck too much juice. My hand-me-down GPS won't work on my 3rd port.

This is why some external hard drives come with cables that have 2 plugs for going into your computer. If the problem persists, reserve that port for something that also plugs into a wall or a lower power device.

If the task manager is that slow, I still stand by the CCleaner / MyDefrag combo.
                            I had a feeling the third port was an issue. It does fine with my webcam. So it's back to the old port for me.

Volcan, I would still have the same problem the minute I plugged in my mp3.

Comment

Ok, I'm having a problem with Spybot. Decided to install it after the hijacking incident. I found some adware and clicked on the button that's supposed to fix things. It won't let me and says I need to be an admin. I don't know what's going on and I'm getting frustrated. Can anyone help with this problem and how to remedy it? Thank you.
                              my etsy store
                              My blog

to descend."

Comment

Working...
                              X