FBI interrogations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FBI interrogations

So Wired and a few other places on Youtube have videos from experts in given fields discussing their specialties and I was skimming through threads and reminded of the fact that interrogation methods and torture are recurring topics. I came across this guy a few years ago and find his comments on the matter pretty informative and memorable.

life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Re: FBI interrogations

The "belief" that there are human actions that can invariably indicate guilt or innocence is part of the whole authoritarian world view in which people can be "objectively and correctly" known by their appearance ( in this case, observable hand or eye movement).

(simple trick: when asked a question, gently roll your eyes up and to the right. In the myth, this indicates "truth." Bullshit on more bullshit, served with a side of bullshit)
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
      The "belief" that there are human actions that can invariably indicate guilt or innocence is part of the whole authoritarian world view in which people can be "objectively and correctly" known by their appearance ( in this case, observable hand or eye movement).

(simple trick: when asked a question, gently roll your eyes up and to the right. In the myth, this indicates "truth." Bullshit on more bullshit, served with a side of bullshit)
      To pretend I'm capable of being generous, I attribute it less to authoritarian tendencies and more to humanity's tendency to try and make easy things difficult and difficult things easy.
      life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
        To pretend I'm capable of being generous, I attribute it less to authoritarian tendencies and more to humanity's tendency to try and make easy things difficult and difficult things easy.
        Well, you go with that. I'm gonna stay with authoritarian dicks who dictate "normal" for other folks. It's ok for me though. I'm neorodiverse, and look right to lie. Fool the fools!
        Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
          Well, you go with that. I'm gonna stay with authoritarian dicks who dictate "normal" for other folks. It's ok for me though. I'm neorodiverse, and look right to lie. Fool the fools!
          Ehh, I expect the option of "**** off" for most of the world or "give me a lawyer" * for cops to work best. Deceit takes work and if it isn't either fun or necessary than my laziness will get in the way.

* Fun anecdote from a podcast I heard by a homicide detective a few years ago. Contrary to basically every cop show ever, he generally found that innocent people were more likely to get counsel as soon as possible and guilty were more likely to have a conversation thinking that they could trick him somehow. It was the most hilarious thing to hear from a detective ever when most police procedural dramas tend to make everyone who calls in a lawyer shady in some way and almost always guilty.

Comment

Everyone reacts differently - I read something saying if you want to assert control over someone, stare at their forehead while talking to them. My ex used to do that to me. I'd laugh and ask him if he was contemplating what I might look like with bangs. Now I'm trying to see if I look in a particular direction based upon what I'm thinking...
            sigpic
            Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkfeathers View Post
              Everyone reacts differently - I read something saying if you want to assert control over someone, stare at their forehead while talking to them. My ex used to do that to me. I'd laugh and ask him if he was contemplating what I might look like with bangs. Now I'm trying to see if I look in a particular direction based upon what I'm thinking...
              That's called "The Cop Look," when the cop has been trained to focus on something just beyond the person's head, which frequently (if you aren't aware of what's being done) has the effect of making the person feel as if the cop can see into one's head.

(note: my general relationship with cops is good. They don't know what I do, and I don't tell them. Everybody ends up happy. But in a long life, things happen, giving one a whole variety of tastey experiences).

Comment

Working...
              X